PDA

View Full Version : Researching Field Cameras

Stoogley
28-Jul-2014, 05:03
Hi

I'm thinking about getting a field camera.

Currently am using a Sinar F1, so I was wondering which ones would use the Sinar lens board.
Suggestions welcome.

Thanks!

Tim Meisburger
28-Jul-2014, 06:19
I don't think any field cameras use a Sinar board. Easiest would be to buy or make a Sinar/Linhof board adapter and then mount all your lenses on Linhof-style boards.

Kevin Crisp
28-Jul-2014, 07:44
The Canham JMC does, if you want to go 8x10.

Alan Gales
28-Jul-2014, 09:14
The Chamonix 8x10 also uses Sinar boards but the 4x5's use Linhof style boards.

If you are shooting 4x5 then do like Tim says and get a Sinar/Linhof adapter board. The smaller boards are nicer for fitting in you bag for out in the field too.

Bruce Barlow
28-Jul-2014, 09:31
My Richard Ritter 8x10 uses my Sinar boards.

andreios
28-Jul-2014, 09:32
Tachihara 8x10 does as well.

TXFZ1
28-Jul-2014, 10:48
Shen-Hao 8x10 does as well.

Robert Opheim
28-Jul-2014, 11:15
There are a lot of field cameras available. You could narrow the field by establishing what is most important to you: weight, use of wide-angle lenses - bag bellows (say for architectural work), compactness, ergonomic qualities on how the camera functions (you need to work with the camera for this).

Regular Rod
28-Jul-2014, 11:44
Hi

Currently am using a Sinar F1, so I was wondering which ones would use the Sinar lens board.
Suggestions welcome.

Thanks!

Shen Hao 8x10 will take Sinar lens boards.

RR

Kirk Gittings
28-Jul-2014, 11:51
There are a lot of field cameras available. You could narrow the field by establishing what is most important to you: weight, use of wide-angle lenses - bag bellows (say for architectural work), compactness, ergonomic qualities on how the camera functions (you need to work with the camera for this).

or even what format he is looking for.......

Drew Wiley
28-Jul-2014, 13:28
Having Sinar board compatibility is a plus in my opinion, because it's a common size, and adapter boards down to Technika size are frequently available. Otherwise,
you're going to get a jillion different opinions, and one of them is, that the Sinar F series a very good field camera system in its own right. But I assume you're referring to some kind of lighter and more compact folding camera. What film size are you contemplating?

Stoogley
28-Jul-2014, 13:30
Yup, I bungled this one.

Looking for 4x5.
Doing landscape with the occasional architecture shot.

I'm looking to stop hauling this studio camera around, so anything will seems compact and lighter :)
Do want something that is durable and will survive trips in the padded backpack.

Alan Gales
28-Jul-2014, 16:07
Everyone is going to recommend everything unless you get more specific.

What is the widest and longest lenses you plan on using?

How much can you afford in price?

Do you have to have a new camera or is used fine?

Do you shoot infrared film?

How much weight is too much?

Tim Meisburger
28-Jul-2014, 17:00
Tachihara, Chamonoix, Shen Hao, Wista. All of these can be had new or used, and will do what you need in the field. All take Linhof/Wista boards, so one adapter and you are set in the studio or field (Linhof style boards can be had cheaply on the bay).

Don't worry too much about it. Just get one you like the looks of. I started with a Crown Graphic, then Ikeda, the Norma, then sold the Ikeda and bought a Tachihara, then sold the Tachi and bought an Ebony 45s, then saw a deal on an Ikeda and bought that as well. They all work (worked). The Ikeda is the lightest. The Ebony 45s has all the movements, weighs the same as the Tachi but has just 280mm bellows extension (which is perfect for me since I have studio cameras for macro stuff). The Ikeda was cheap and is light and uses the same boards as the Ebony, so is good to take on trips where I might worry about wandering around with the Ebony.

In the end they all work. Teh Ebony is no more functional than the Tachi, but is beautiful!

Regular Rod
28-Jul-2014, 23:02
Yup, I bungled this one.

Looking for 4x5.
Doing landscape with the occasional architecture shot.

I'm looking to stop hauling this studio camera around, so anything will seems compact and lighter :)
Do want something that is durable and will survive trips in the padded backpack.

In which case ditch the Sinar lens board idea and go for cameras that use what has become a standard panel in its own right, the Linhof/Wista/Shen Hao 96 x 99mm that you can buy on eBay for around $14 from a very reliable vendor called "jinfinance".

There is a goodly list of 4x5 cameras that take these panels as standard. Of these, especially if buying new, you should look at Shen Hao folding cameras (http://www.shen-hao.com/PRODUCTS.aspx?i=187&id=n3). Light, tough, well-made, great after sales service, ideal for your backpack, (and your back... Oh and your wallet) you will soon find out why they are not commonly available second-hand, generally, folks won't part with them!

;)
RR

Lachlan 717
28-Jul-2014, 23:29
Shen Hao XPO. Also takes Sinar shutters.

Regular Rod
29-Jul-2014, 00:38
Shen Hao XPO. Also takes Sinar shutters.

He wants a folding camera for his backpack...

RR

Lachlan 717
29-Jul-2014, 01:13

Looking for 4x5.

He wants a folding camera for his backpack...

RR

No mention of folding here.

Stoogley
29-Jul-2014, 04:17
Yea, he does want a folding camera.

Sounds like going with the adapter is the best path for the most versatility.
All of which confirms what I was seeing, or rather not seeing, as I read about the various cameras.

I was budgeting around $700-1000US for a used item.
Looking at the ShenHao, as suggested above, a new one can be had for just over $1000, and I found a new Wista 45 SW Rosewood for $1600.

As I'm just starting the process, each day brings more questions than answers at this point.

Thanks for all the wonderful insight!!

Richard Johnson
29-Jul-2014, 05:33
http://www.glennview.com/sinar.htm makes a stripped ultralight Sinar 4x5 for just this. But it uses Sinar lensboards so it wouldn't be any good ;-p

Alan Gales
29-Jul-2014, 10:10
Yea, he does want a folding camera.

Sounds like going with the adapter is the best path for the most versatility.
All of which confirms what I was seeing, or rather not seeing, as I read about the various cameras.

I was budgeting around $700-1000US for a used item.
Looking at the ShenHao, as suggested above, a new one can be had for just over $1000, and I found a new Wista 45 SW Rosewood for $1600.

As I'm just starting the process, each day brings more questions than answers at this point.

Thanks for all the wonderful insight!!

Also check these out. http://www.chamonixviewcamera.com/45.html They turn up used on occasion too. I have never used one but Chamonix's are versatile, very light and said to be quite stable. They are really popular today.

I asked you which lenses you plan on using because I used to own a Tachihara. It had a bellows draw of 13" and could focus a 300mm at infinity but not close focus for portraits. Some 4x5 field cameras only have 12" of bellows draw which may or may not be fine for you. My Tachihara did not support a bag bellows but could use a 90mm on a flat board and a 65mm in a recessed board. Wider lenses than 65mm would not work. Used Tachi's are also in your budget.

If you like wood take a look at Chamonix, Shen Hao, Wista, Tachihara, and Zone Vl. For metal cameras look at Wista and Toyo.

Drew Wiley
29-Jul-2014, 10:33
Be careful with those Chinese generic lensboards. Some are downright useless.

Regular Rod
29-Jul-2014, 14:19
Be careful with those Chinese generic lensboards. Some are downright useless.

Good point. That's why I stick with jinfinance on eBay. His stuff is all very good and his service, considering the items come from China, is pretty good too.

RR

Peter De Smidt
29-Jul-2014, 14:38
For a sturdier but heavier option, consider a Toyo 45AX, a metal field camera. They seem to be about $700 used. They are very rugged and easy to use. I use lenses from 90mm to 300mm with mine. They use 110mm toyo boards, but adapters are available for others, such as for the Linhof boards.

trumil9
29-Jul-2014, 16:00
I think that i could be interesting tread if we together set base of lens boards "compatibility", of course using adapters. Not only field cameras but studio, too. For example Sinar board doesn't fit Century #2 field 8x10, even this camera opening is a bit bigger then 138x138mm (Sinar). Conley 8x10 has front standard opening smaller the dimension of Sinar board, there is no problem with studio cameras: Century #7, Century 2D. Later I will add 4 other cameras, I have to dig them from the boxes.

Robert Opheim
3-Aug-2014, 21:25
If you are going to shoot wide angle for architectural work a bag bellows is a wonderful thing to use.

John Kasaian
3-Aug-2014, 21:34
http://www.glennview.com/sinar.htm makes a stripped ultralight Sinar 4x5 for just this. But it uses Sinar lensboards so it wouldn't be any good ;-p
WOW! I didn't know Glennview was still in business!

el pescador
10-Aug-2014, 06:29
Just been in the same position, I have a sinar p which I have lugged about on ocassions, and decided I need something more easily transported. After a lot of research I bought a Toyo 45A. This is a great field camera, weighs 6 pounds packs up really small and being metal can take a lot more abuse than a wooden camera. The camera came without accessories so I bought 4 lens boards from jin finance off e bay. Delivery took about a week to the UK and each board cost about £12. I just swap the lens onto whichever lensboard I,m going to use takes less than 60 seconds per lens so I don,t think having 2 cameras with different lens boards is any great problem works for me

Jac@stafford.net
10-Aug-2014, 07:50
WOW! I didn't know Glennview was still in business!

He is, and he still keeps his site current. Glennview is my go-to for excellent custom and classic tech.

William Whitaker
10-Aug-2014, 08:50
Ya can't have everything!