PDA

View Full Version : Horseman monorail format changing

Isaac Crawford
8-Nov-2004, 12:53
I have a Horseman LE that I love. I purchased a 5x7 conversion package consisting of the rear standard, wide and normal bellows, ground glass back, 4x5 reducing back, etc. It fits and it works, but there's a problem. The 5x7 standard looks as though it is part of the LX line, with yaw free movements and a calculator on the focus knob. I have to shift the front standard by 30mm and raise it by 21 mm just to zero out the standards... Now that I'm hooked on the different format possibilities, I'd like to use this system for 4x5, 5x7, and 8x10. I know the LE isn't going to work for this, but what if I bought an 8x10 camera? Would I be able to use the front standard and rail of the 8x10 with the 5x7 rear standard and bellows? Would I have similar problems with zeroing out the standards? I can't really tell from the pictures, and it looks as though there were at least two different versions of the 8x10 font standard. Any help would be appreciated!

Isaac

Andy Eads
10-Nov-2004, 12:17
Isaac,
The front standard on the Horseman 8x10 is raised to a height that centers the standard with the back. It looks like an aluminum tube has been fitted between the standard and the focusing block. I have not taken one apart but I think a good machinist could produce the part for a reasonable price. Perhaps the folks at SK Grimes or any of the other repair shops found on this forum could also help you out.

Isaac Crawford
10-Nov-2004, 13:31
Rats, that sounds like I'd be in a similar situation if I bought the 8x10 camera. The front would likely be to high for the 5x7 rear standard. Hmmm, sounds like I'll just have to deal with it for now, pity.

Isaac

www.homepage.mac.com/isaacc7

Isaac Crawford
10-Nov-2004, 13:34
On second thought, I have seen two different Horseman 8x10 cameras for sale. One is as you described, with a riser underneath the front standard. The other one looked like it didn't have that extension. Did they make multiple types of 8x10 cameras? Or perhaps it was a Franken-Horseman with mismatched standards....

Isaac

Andy Eads
10-Nov-2004, 16:30
Isaac,
They did offer two types of 8x10 camera. One had the standard on the post as I described earlier and another that had a 4x5 sized front standard with a taller L for the rise and fall.

Isaac Crawford
10-Nov-2004, 16:55
Isaac, They did offer two types of 8x10 camera. One had the standard on the post as I described earlier and another that had a 4x5 sized front standard with a taller L for the rise and fall.

Aha! Then that sounds like the beast I need to get! If it could rise far enough for the 8x10, 5x7 would be no problem and I'd have more movements than I do right now. Thanks for the info!

Isaac