PDA

View Full Version : WISTA SP 4x5 field camera lens choices

innerlight
24-Jul-2014, 06:16
I just purchased a Wista SP 4x5 with a 135mm lens.

Without changing to the wide angle bellows, what is the shortest focal length lens I can use on my Wista SP?

I'd like to use a 90mm and/or a 75mm.

Bob Salomon
24-Jul-2014, 06:29
90 with limited, very limited, movement. You will need the recessed board in any case. You may also wear out the standard bellows faster using a short lens with movements. That is one of the reasons why there is a WA bellows and why it is so easy to change.
Also, one of the recessed boards requires a special version of the bag bellows. Others do not.

AJ Edmondson
24-Jul-2014, 10:41
As Bob noted, the 90mm on a flat board is very limited and if you acquire a Linhof Recessed Board with the Linhof "Quick Connect" you will need the Nipple in order to use that feature (don't ask me how I know that) and they are available at Nippon Photo Clinic (about $12 + shipping) as of this week. I don't know if the Chinese versions are built the same way. The special version of the bag bellows is out of production (I think... Bob can confirm) and it couples to the back side of the recessed board for it. It was a nice accessory, quite expensive but well thought out and you can sometimes find it used. Just beware that you have to use the appropriate lens board for it because that bellows mates to the rear of the board which is actually inside the front standard. On the far end of the spectrum, without bellows extensions or a "top-hat" lens board you can still use a 305mm and focus to about 12 feet (if I recall correctly). You can also find Wista boards which have a very slight (about 7mm) forward displacement at KEH at pretty good prices.

Joel

Bob Salomon
24-Jul-2014, 11:19
As Bob noted, the 90mm on a flat board is very limited and if you acquire a Linhof Recessed Board with the Linhof "Quick Connect" you will need the Nipple in order to use that feature (don't ask me how I know that) and they are available at Nippon Photo Clinic (about $12 + shipping) as of this week. I don't know if the Chinese versions are built the same way. The special version of the bag bellows is out of production (I think... Bob can confirm) and it couples to the back side of the recessed board for it. It was a nice accessory, quite expensive but well thought out and you can sometimes find it used. Just beware that you have to use the appropriate lens board for it because that bellows mates to the rear of the board which is actually inside the front standard. On the far end of the spectrum, without bellows extensions or a "top-hat" lens board you can still use a 305mm and focus to about 12 feet (if I recall correctly). You can also find Wista boards which have a very slight (about 7mm) forward displacement at KEH at pretty good prices.

Joel

A: The bag bellows, per the SP instruction book, is for lenses 125mm and shorter. Not 90mm and shorter.
B: Wista makes an extended board and an Extension Board Set. The set has screw together extension rings and 0, 1 and 3 mounting disks that screw into the end of the extension set.
C: Wista makes bed extensions and longer bellows for long lenses and for extreme macro. These are much more expensive then the Extension Lens Board Set.
Also much, much heavier.

innerlight
29-Jul-2014, 09:20
Ok - so does anyone know how much a recessed lens board and WA bellows costs nowadays

Bob Salomon
29-Jul-2014, 10:01
Ok - so does anyone know how much a recessed lens board and WA bellows costs nowadays

MAP price for the bellows, 214541, is $631.00
MAP price for the recessed board, 214544, is $396.00

If you prefer the Linhof 001015 Comfort board with all of the controls and the aperture scale on the front, flat surface of the board it is $550.00. Except for the 72mm SA XL which requires a special spacer ring 300171 which is $35.00 additional.

JimBarbour
29-Jul-2014, 19:50
90 with limited, very limited, movement. You will need the recessed board in any case. You may also wear out the standard bellows faster using a short lens with movements. That is one of the reasons why there is a WA bellows and why it is so easy to change.
Also, one of the recessed boards requires a special version of the bag bellows. Others do not.

Does anyone know if the WA bellows from a 45D work on a 45RF?