PDA

View Full Version : Seneca Improved 5x7, info and/or pricing

F. Arnold
6-Nov-2004, 19:49
Sorry to bother with trivia, but while wandering about town today, I came across a Seneca Improved with seneca doublet "dustless" lens. It appears to be a 5x7, and the lacquer is in excellent condition, with the metal-work looking somewhat duller, but not rusted or pitted. Bellows are present, and sagging a bit, though the leather looks otherwise good.

So... Does this camera take modern 5x7 film, or is it expecting plate holders, and what's a reasonable price for one? It's rather attractive (at least compared with a B&J from the 50s), but I can't bring myself to buy something that I wouldn't shoot with, even if I had to use it under more controlled conditions. Thanks for any info.

Jim Galli
6-Nov-2004, 21:00
Do some searches on EBAY to see what similar aged antique 5X7's have sold for. I just bought a gorgeous old Kodak #2 Improved for $172.00 but it included a focal plane shutter which made it more desireable to me. And the bellows on the Kodak was flawless.

James Driscoll
7-Nov-2004, 10:13
Yes the seneca takes "modern" 5x7 film holders.....I have one.

I paid $150.00 for mine last year and it was in flawless condition. The only problem.....is you are going to making lensboards...they are next to impossible to find.

The camera is something you can shoot with.....but it has very little movement. No front movements except rise, and no shift. But damn is it pretty!!!

I would not pay more than $150 for a seneca new improved 5x7 and only than if it is flawless....I have seen them go for as little as $40.00 on EBAY.