PDA

View Full Version : Cheap 12x16

Mark G
22-Jul-2014, 15:13
Here are a couple of pictures of my new camera, i must warn you it's a bitsa. It's made from off cuts of ply and wood from my workshop, the lens is an industar 300mm f4.5 , from ebay. there is a ground glass back that i made from an old frame, I sanded the glass with emery cloth to make it opaque. The front standard can be adjusted roughly for focus and then there is a fine focus screw at the back so that I can focus while still looking at the ground glass. the bag bellows are just made from some leatherette from a stall in the market. the steel work is from the builders merchant for fitting/repairing joists. total cost including the lens about £45.00 It weighs a bloody ton though :) and now I need to build a BIG tripod!!

Jacob A. Hauser
22-Jul-2014, 20:26
First time poster, long-time lurker. Nice job. I like the idea of the closing tabs and the carrying handle, like a big suitcase. I'm in the process of building my 16x20 camera and I have definitely sunk more cash into it. More info here: http://http://humblecinematographer.tumblr.com/

Does your camera have a spring back?

Mark G
22-Jul-2014, 22:34
Hi Jacob,
Thanks , It does have a sprung back, i made it from some old steel bands that went around the timber packs that come into the workshop. the back can be altered from portrait to landscape and the rough knob is the fine focus system. The other pic is the first one taken , the line across the middle is where i joined 2 A4 scans together in PS. there might have been a little camera shake due to the wind and there seems to be a little flare, but on the whole I'm pleased with it as a first photo.
I was going to go for the 3 frames method to make the body, like you have, it would certainly be lighter and more portable. but the box just seemed easier to make to me. I might attempt a frame one next though.

jcoldslabs
23-Jul-2014, 00:49
Mark,

Welcome to the forum! Great DIY effort--looks functional in all the right ways. I have collected some bits and bobs over the years that I hope to turn into a 12x15 camera someday. Out of curiosity, what are you using for a film holder?

Jonathan

Steven Tribe
23-Jul-2014, 01:54
Film holders, film and lenses are the main challenge to self builders. I really think it is more economically sensible to get hold of a 12x16, 12x15" or 30x40cm camera needing work which has at least one plate holder. Plate holders for sizes over 8x10 have become extremely rare, and expensive, the last few years. This is only as it should be, as holders require time and experience to make. They were only cheap originally because of established production lines in dedicated workshops and availability of mahogany.

I don't think the 300mm F4.5 russian (tessar type?) is going to cover.

Regular Rod
23-Jul-2014, 02:19
Brilliant camera! £45 is amazing. You clearly have a good knowledge of materials and fittings that are out there available in the woodworking and building world...

The Industar seems to have covered well enough in the photograph. Could you mount the camera in the back of a vehicle rather than a tripod?

Scans for posting on places like this... How about a smart phone scan? It would be best to make some device to hold it in position but it is remarkable what can be achieved with the output from a smart phone these days.

RR

Andrew Plume
23-Jul-2014, 03:19
really great work Mark, terrific result

regards

andrew

evan clarke
23-Jul-2014, 05:40
Excellent..A little ugly and functional is better than pretty junk. I have made an 11x14 enlarger from an old Beseler 5x7, Some foamcore board,framing glass and an led panel. Made a good print from an 11x14 neg the first time. I started a prettier bersion but decided it was working so well, I left it alone..Have fun

Mark G
23-Jul-2014, 15:14
Hi Jonathan,
Thank you for the compliment, I have built my own film holder its like a big 5x4 one but it only has one side. Its made from Plywood and Oak, I'll post some pics shortly.

Hello Steven,
Whilst I agree that it might have been simpler to have just repaired an old camera. Wheres the fun in that? and although Mahogany is scarce, it was used mainly for its stability, so you might as well use MDF its the most stable stuff I know. As for making a film holder , as long as you are accurate with your machining anyone with a router and a little practice should be able to make one. After all I'm not going into production, Well I might make another couple. Second thoughts .......How expensive and rare are they, I sense a sideline coming on!!!!

Hi Rod , Or should I call you Regular
Ahh go on, you're making me blush:D
I never thought of the phone camera, I'll try it thanks. mind you my phone isn't that smart so we'll see how it goes.

Hi Andrew ,
Thank you , still :o

Hey Evan,

A little ugly and functional is better than pretty junk Ahh, a man after my own heart. I find that if you are not being stared at in shocked amazement its not worth taking the photograph :D
I can't quite get my head around how you made an 11x14 enlarger from a 5x7. Are there any pics? but if it works.. etc etc. Hmm I have an old De-vere 8x10 enlarger in bits in the garage, well most of one anyway.