PDA

View Full Version : Nikon 90mm 4.5 with a 5.6 shutter

AbsolutelyN
22-Jul-2014, 03:41
Hi

The shutter for my Nikon 90mm f/4.5 has broken. I've replaced it with a Copal 0 from a f5.6 lens I don't use often. When I set maximum aperture (5.6) on the shutter is this really f/4.5 or is it now f/5.6?

Many thanks for any input,
Tristan

AJ Edmondson
22-Jul-2014, 05:31
It should remain f4.5 and you should (at least in many cases) be able to switch the scales from the old Copal 0 to the newer one.

Joel

Steve Goldstein
22-Jul-2014, 05:57
Shutters are in most cases repairable. Your Nikkor came with a pretty modern Copal shutter, I hope you don't plan to toss it!

AbsolutelyN
22-Jul-2014, 08:45
Brilliant, many thanks for the info. I'm certain the shutter can be repaired but it just doesn't come high enough on the to do list to justify funds at the moment, especially when I have a spare hanging around. Will try to switch the scales.

Bob Salomon
22-Jul-2014, 09:57
Maybe this will come higher, the shorter the lens the more critical cell spacing between the front and rear groups of the lens is. So just swapping cells into a different shutter may effect the performance of the lens. You may need to add or remove shims to get proper performance out of the lens in the new shutter.

AJ Edmondson
22-Jul-2014, 11:53
Bob's point is indeed a valid one... you might want to consider measuring the front to back dimensions with the lens assembled in both shutters with a vernier caliper if you feel that this is a concern to you. A CLA (by Carol at Flutot's) is around $100 and is, given the prices of replacements a pretty good deal!

Joel