PDA

View Full Version : Camera help

Jason
21-Jul-2014, 05:30
Hey all. I'm looking at getting back into large format. Starting with cameras first. I used mono rail mostly before when I studied at derby (about 20 years ago so very rusty :-) ). I'm wanting a field camera now. I really like the look of this camera on eBay, it's in the U.K. like me so shipping looks good, plus it has standard and wide lenses to start me off. My question to you experts is ... Does this look like a good deal, seems a bit pricy to me but would value you're opinions.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wista-Field-45-DX-II-Rosewood-4x5-LF-Camera-Fujinon-Schenieder-Set-Ex/221500077558?_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D24059%26meid%3D8470273350353789991%26pid%3D100011%26prg%3D10244%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D10%26sd%3D190809371756

Or perhaps starting with something like this:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LINHOF-SUPER-TECHNIKA-III-V5-4x5-LARGE-FORMAT-CAMERA-Schneider-150-f4-5-Lens-/221485170243?pt=UK_Film_Cameras&hash=item33918b7e43

Also noticed ffordes have an ebony rw45 for Ģ999 with wide and standard lenses that would be in the ballpark of the wista too... Decisions, decisions.

Would value your thoughts...

Thanks.

DG 3313
21-Jul-2014, 05:43
I would take the LF approach to buying a camera.....take your time. There are a lot of good deals and advice on this forum. Good luck!

Jim Noel
21-Jul-2014, 08:13
If they are in the same price range, and the lenses are equivalent, the Ebony is by far the best buy. In the US the Ebony would go for more than the camera + lenses you mention.

Richard Johnson
21-Jul-2014, 10:34
That Wista is very overpriced by 4x and the Linhof Technikas are great but not so much the nearly 65 year old Tech IIIs ~ even though that one is a nice example it is still quite expensive.

The Ebony RW is a good new camera, as are the Chamonix models - rigid yet lightweight. The metal cameras - Linhof Technika, Toyo Field, Wista SP, etc. are more rugged but heavier. Everything is a compromise so many people buy and swap and keep experimenting until they find their sweet spot... and while internet research is useful, nothing beats really using a camera for a few months to understand the high and low points.

Don't try to buy your last camera first, people get stuck with expensive stuff they don't use that way....

Alan Gales
21-Jul-2014, 11:53
That Wista is very overpriced by 4x and the Linhof Technikas are great but not so much the nearly 65 year old Tech IIIs ~ even though that one is a nice example it is still quite expensive.

The Ebony RW is a good new camera, as are the Chamonix models - rigid yet lightweight. The metal cameras - Linhof Technika, Toyo Field, Wista SP, etc. are more rugged but heavier. Everything is a compromise so many people buy and swap and keep experimenting until they find their sweet spot... and while internet research is useful, nothing beats really using a camera for a few months to understand the high and low points.

Don't try to buy your last camera first, people get stuck with expensive stuff they don't use that way....

Fantastic advice!

Jason
22-Jul-2014, 04:08
Thanks all for your thoughts. Very helpful. Taking your points onboard I am leaning toward a new shen Hao to get me back into it, then I can buy a couple of decent lenses and potentially upgrade the camera later. The Chamonix seems like a great camera but the exchange rates are not that good from UK to US right now so I would prefer to buy from inside the UK.

There seems to be a several different Shen Hao 4x5 models so I'm off to do some research, if anyone has any pointers in this regard please let me know.

Richard Johnson
22-Jul-2014, 12:14
No need to buy a Chamonix from the USA when they are made in China....

Ken Lee
22-Jul-2014, 15:30
There seems to be a several different Shen Hao 4x5 models so I'm off to do some research, if anyone has any pointers in this regard please let me know.

It might be helpful to decide on a view camera based on the lenses you intend to shoot (at what distances), what degree of view camera movements you need, and issues of portability - in that order.

Lenses and their focal length determine the requirements for bellows extension. You don't want to find out by accident that your favorite lenses are either too long or too short for the camera to be used properly, either at infinity or close focus. (Wide angles at infinity, long lenses at close focus.) If you discover that you need a bag bellows, you don't want to find out by surprise that your camera doesn't have interchangeable bellows... etc.

Similarly, you don't want to find out by surprise that you need rear movements and they don't exist on your camera. Or front swing, or whatever it may be.

Lastly, you don't want to find out that the beautiful hardwood you admire is prone to scratches or not good in damp weather, or that the camera takes too long to set up, or weighs too much, or scares people away, or attracts people, etc.

In other words, camera choice may best be left for last.

Jason
28-Jul-2014, 05:41
More good advise, thanks Ken and all. I've decided on the TZ45 IIB with 90 and 150M lenses to get me started. I don't foresee needing to go wider than that but I understand that one will take a bag. Haven't purchased yet as I'm sorting out my backend process and getting my feet (and hands) wet again testing some film and chemical combos with old Rz67.

Cheers!

hoffner
28-Jul-2014, 05:50
If you discover that you need a bag bellows, you don't want to find out by surprise that your camera doesn't have interchangeable bellows... etc.

Similarly, you don't want to find out by surprise that you need rear movements and they don't exist on your camera. Or front swing, or whatever it may be.

Lastly, you don't want to find out that the beautiful hardwood you admire is prone to scratches or not good in damp weather, or that the camera takes too long to set up, or weighs too much, or scares people away, or attracts people, etc.

In other words, camera choice may best be left for last.

in a few words - avoid all the surprise!
Well - how to do that without knowing first all the details, wise man?

Fritz05
2-Aug-2014, 20:58
I donīt recommend buying the Wista field camera. It is said to be made out of rosewood. Rosewood harvest means almost always massive rainforest destruction. As photographers, we should support to maintain a sound nature, because it provides us the best pictures (besides many other and more important reasons).

Regular Rod
3-Aug-2014, 02:27
More good advise, thanks Ken and all. I've decided on the TZ45 IIB with 90 and 150M lenses to get me started. I don't foresee needing to go wider than that but I understand that one will take a bag. Haven't purchased yet as I'm sorting out my backend process and getting my feet (and hands) wet again testing some film and chemical combos with old Rz67.

Cheers!

That is a non-folding camera, OK in a studio. More versatile would be the PTB45, OK in and out of a studio. I do not have one (use MPP Mk VII for 4x5) but I do have and use the PTB45's big sister, the FCL810-A, which has exactly the same controls as the PTB45 and is a pleasure to set up and deploy. They are both made of black walnut and aluminium...

http://www.shen-hao.com/PRODUCTSabout.aspx?i=953&id=n3

http://www.shen-hao.com/Postimage/big/20110520091056.jpg

RR

Andrew Plume
3-Aug-2014, 03:38
take your time Jason..................there's no rush............there will always be options/alternatives cropping up regularly..........after all 4 x 5 offers more choices/alternatives than 5 x 7 or 10 x 8

regards

andrew