PDA

View Full Version : Telephoto Cycle POCO 8x10"

monkeymon
20-Jul-2014, 06:50
Hello

I'm considering to a purchase of a Telephoto Cycle POCO 8x10" as i think it's a really lightweight & fast to operate 8x10". But does anyone have experience on it? I'm interested on how wide lenses can i use on it before the front bed starts to show up in the pictures? I own a 159mm and 165mm, but i think i will end up whit a 180mm lens as my wide angle, as 90mm is what i use in 4x5".

I currently have a Deardorff 8x10", but i do not need all the movements & functions of it.

I think it's this model:

http://www.historiccamera.com/cgi-bin/librarium/pm.cgi?action=display&login=poco_d

Steven Tribe
20-Jul-2014, 16:15
This is one camera I have - however, built up from a complete bed and box with a graflex front standard and spring 8x10 back

It is quite a delicate thing - especialy the controls for the back.

You must remember that in the mid 1890's, F.6.8 was about the "biggest" lens you could get. I doubt that the mahogany slider extension system would stand up to weight of more modern lenses. And not well suited for wide angled photography.

monkeymon
22-Jul-2014, 16:47
This is one camera I have - however, built up from a complete bed and box with a graflex front standard and spring 8x10 back

It is quite a delicate thing - especialy the controls for the back.

You must remember that in the mid 1890's, F.6.8 was about the "biggest" lens you could get. I doubt that the mahogany slider extension system would stand up to weight of more modern lenses. And not well suited for wide angled photography.

Thanks

I did buy it, so i'll see how it does. Seller informed me that he had tested it whit 165mm lens.. so it should work on my purposes. I will get a lightweight 300/9 for it as normal lens.

I kinda thought it will probably not take too much weight, but at the same time it's fast & lightweight camera. As i mainly just shoot 8x10" for big prints and don't use anything else than a bit of front drop. I do all the lens athletics on 4x5" slr.

Actually, i got a similar camera for my 4x5" (pocket seneca) and put a 3x4" graflex front standard on it. It's really tiny & light weight 4x5".