PDA

View Full Version : The Power of Pyro Workshop

Steve Sherman
19-Jul-2014, 18:00
Sunday September 28, 2014. Central Connecticut. Expose and process your own sheet film under the guidance of Steve Sherman. Sherman is the photographer who perfected the modern day Semi-Stand method of film processing. See what Michael A. Smith said when he saw one of Sherman's Semi-Stand processed negatives, scroll down to testimonials:

http://steve-sherman.com/workshops.cfm

Hands on processing of film shot early in the day using different formulas of Pyro using various techniques of processing.

Fee $ 195.00 includes all lab fees. Paypal accepted

Kirk Gittings
19-Jul-2014, 18:24
Very cool my friend. Good luck with this. You are a master.

sanking
20-Jul-2014, 10:51
No question, Steve Sherman is a master at what he does.

Sandy

Monty McCutchen
27-Jul-2014, 12:38
Couldn't agree more! To see one of Steve's prints in person is to realize you have work on your end still to get after!

All those that get to attend this will walk away much better for it,

Monty

Bill_1856
27-Jul-2014, 19:03
"Central Connecticut" is sort of nebulous. Could you be more specific about where the workshop would be held, and where would be the best place to fly into.
Thanks,
Wilhelm

Michael Kadillak
28-Jul-2014, 06:08
I have spoken to Steve about taking his show on the road to possibly Denver (I would consider hosting it at my place) or possibly the West Coast sometime in the near future or early 2015. Would not take much effort to pull it off as geographical concerns are easily accommodated to large destinations with sufficient advance notification. Just wanted to toss it out to the group to see how many others would be interested in attending such an event? I am open to all suggestions as is Steve.

Jim Fitzgerald
28-Jul-2014, 06:26
I would be interested in a West Coast event.

bob carnie
28-Jul-2014, 08:12
I have brought Steve into Toronto to give a workshop and it was a complete success . Steve is a great guy to work with and low maintenance which is a bonus when organizing something like this.

Keith Pitman
28-Jul-2014, 10:16
I have spoken to Steve about taking his show on the road to possibly Denver (I would consider hosting it at my place) or possibly the West Coast sometime in the near future or early 2015. Would not take much effort to pull it off as geographical concerns are easily accommodated to large destinations with sufficient advance notification. Just wanted to toss it out to the group to see how many others would be interested in attending such an event? I am open to all suggestions as is Steve.

I would go for a Denver-area workshop. Need any help, Michael, let me know.

Kirk Gittings
28-Jul-2014, 10:20

Assuming the timing worked out, I would be interested. I've been at this my whole life but there is always something to learn from someone like Steve.

ScottPhotoCo
28-Jul-2014, 12:49
I would be interested in a West Coast opportunity as well.

Tracy Storer
28-Jul-2014, 18:26
+1 for West Coast.

Steve Sherman
28-Jul-2014, 18:34
The workshop will take place in Rocky Hill, CT, 2 towns south of Hartford and about 1/2 hour south of the only real airport in the state, Bradley International Airport BDL.

Darkroom is 450 sq. ft. with 17 feet of stainless sink and plenty of space for a 7/8 person workshop such as this one.

This workshop will begin at a shooting location @ 7 AM Sunday Sept. 28th to expose film. Participants should have at least an intermediate understanding of Film / Exposure and Darkroom procedures, familiarity with Pyro developers would be helpful.

See this link for more info or to make a Paypal payment: http://www.steve-sherman.com/workshops.cfm

Michael Clark
29-Jul-2014, 09:43
West Coast would be fine with me also.

Michael Kadillak
29-Jul-2014, 10:23
OK. Based upon the response it seems like a West Coast workshop would work. The next step is to locate a place to congregate. Tracy, is your darkroom capable of accommodating 6+ folks to hold it or are there other suggestions and/or volunteers to make this happen?

Have a Great Day!

Greg Y
29-Jul-2014, 11:09
I could make a Denver workshop

Michael Kadillak
29-Jul-2014, 18:56
Anyone have a place on the West Coast that they could recommend having the workshop at? If not I am going to pick a time and fly Steve out to Denver in the first quarter of 2015 even if it is one on one. Come on folks planning is a prerequisite to success. Let us know what you are thinking. With this much advance notice we should be Golden. I like Oakland personally as a West Coast destination.

Jim Fitzgerald
29-Jul-2014, 19:00
I don't have the space but would love to meet up on the West Coast. It would make a fun road trip in the fun car.

Michael Kadillak
29-Jul-2014, 19:08
I hear ya Jim. Ship the film ahead Fed Ex and carry the camera on the flight.

Anyone know if there are any rental darkrooms or instructional facilities in community colleges or ? in the San Francisco / Oakland area that could host us? I have a daughter there as well as a couple of siblings and it would be a great change of pace. Just trying to connect the dots in a reasonable time frame. I am not one for procrastination.

DennisD
30-Jul-2014, 12:34
FINALLY !

The East Coast has something the West Coast wants.

Good going, Steve Sherman.

Dennis

P.S.
(I'd also like to sign up.)

Carl J
30-Jul-2014, 12:49
Hi Steve,

Don't know if the *East Coast* ;) workshop has filled up yet but are there many options for accommodations nearby the evening before (7am is an early start)?

Thanks.

Steve Sherman
30-Jul-2014, 16:34
Hi Steve,

Don't know if the *East Coast* ;) workshop has filled up yet but are there many options for accommodations nearby the evening before (7am is an early start)?

Thanks.

Hello Carl,

The 7 am start is necessary so we may expose some of your film / camera at a common location for the purpose of evaluating the differences of Pyros using several different development methods.

Essentially to rule out as many variables as possible except the chemistry and the method used to process the film.

There has been a lot of interest in this workshop, the workshop is limited to 6 participants therefore if one has serious interest in attending i would not hesitate to make a commitment by going to my Workshops page and scrolling down the page and use the Paypal link to send in the workshop fee in total. See here. http://www.steve-sherman.com/workshops.cfm

Cheers !

gene LaFord
30-Jul-2014, 18:34
Carl... sign up now - don't hesitate!! I can highly recommend Steve's workshops!

Carl J
1-Aug-2014, 10:00
Thanks, Gene! :)

Steve Sherman
1-Aug-2014, 15:49
Carl... sign up now - don't hesitate!! I can highly recommend Steve's workshops!

Thank you all for your kind words!

The workshop here in the East is sold out.

Cheers, SS

Steve Sherman
1-Oct-2014, 17:58

An inspiring group !

Bill_1856
1-Oct-2014, 18:29
He worked our Arses off! I think that it was an unmitigated success.

Carl J
5-Oct-2014, 20:04
Had a great time. Extremely informative and a fine group. Thanks for the extra push, Gene. And thanks again to Steve and Tim.

angusparker
5-Oct-2014, 20:16
+1 for San Francisco, perhaps using Rayko facilities.

Michael Kadillak
20-Oct-2014, 09:10
OK West Coast or Mountain West LF/ULF Photographers interested in the Power of Pyro workshops.

We need to secure a plan B and C as it relates to discussions with Rayko so if it falls through there we can still get on Steves schedule. THe sooner we can make plans the easier it is to make arrangements for out to town travelers etc.

Does anyone in the greater San Francisco area have any contacts within the photographic arena that could get us into a college or know someone that has a darkroom of sufficient size to accommodate up to eight people in a hands on teaching environment? Surely there must be some place where we can get locked in to make this happen?

ScottPhotoCo
20-Oct-2014, 12:08
What about SoCal? I may be able to help with facilities here.

Tim

Michael Graves
20-Oct-2014, 12:21
I wanted to go to this so bad I could taste pyrocatechol. But naturally, it landed right smack dab on a weekend I was doing an upgrade for a major client. Go figure. Maybe there will be another one before I have to move to Missouri.

bob carnie
20-Oct-2014, 12:30
Drew Wiley seems to be the King of San Fran.. certainly he can help..

OK West Coast or Mountain West LF/ULF Photographers interested in the Power of Pyro workshops.

We need to secure a plan B and C as it relates to discussions with Rayko so if it falls through there we can still get on Steves schedule. THe sooner we can make plans the easier it is to make arrangements for out to town travelers etc.

Does anyone in the greater San Francisco area have any contacts within the photographic arena that could get us into a college or know someone that has a darkroom of sufficient size to accommodate up to eight people in a hands on teaching environment? Surely there must be some place where we can get locked in to make this happen?

Steve Goldstein
20-Oct-2014, 13:00
I'm still bummed that the first one occurred when I was out of the country on long-planned travel.

angusparker
21-Oct-2014, 23:08

We could use the Harvey Milk Photo Center if Rayko doesn't pan out. I haven't used the darkroom facilities but I suspect they are equivalent. It's run by the City of SF Parks Department: http://harveymilkphotocenter.org/