PDA

View Full Version : Can any one point out historic locations of Deadorff factories?

koh303
19-Jul-2014, 13:52
Not sure if this is correct place, but i am trying to find the actual addresses of the places where deardorff factory or workshops used to be.
All i found online in a very long article is that in the 70's the factory was at 310 Peoria St, but this was after at least 3 moves noted with no addresses.

Can someone help?

Thanks

Leonard Robertson
19-Jul-2014, 16:01
I have two Deardorff price sheets dated April 1, 1980 and September 1, 1981. Both have the address as 315 So. Peoria St.

I also have a Deardorff catalog with a hand printed date on the cover of 1939 with an address of 11 South Des Plaines Street, and an undated booklet on the Triampro with the same address.

Len

Tin Can
19-Jul-2014, 16:08
Go talk to Don, the owner of Central Camera, he is a font of knowledge.

He recently gave me a 2 hour private lesson on Leica history.

Luis-F-S
19-Jul-2014, 17:20
Yup the only "real" camera store left in Chicago!

Kirk Gittings
19-Jul-2014, 17:21
Yes I had a long discussion with him before I left. He also told me that he would be the last owner of the business as none oh his children wanted to take it over.
Go talk to Don, the owner of Central Camera, he is a font of knowledge.

He recently gave me a 2 hour private lesson on Leica history.

Leonard Robertson
19-Jul-2014, 18:04
This article http://www.ohio.edu/people/schneidw/deardorff/deardorff_camera_history.html seems to indicate the "C. J. Olstad Camera Company" location was where the first Deardorffs were made, but doesn't give an actual address.

Later in the article it says "In 1935 the business was moved to 11 South Desplaines Street."

Regarding Central Camera Co., I have a 1928-29 catalog from them with an address of 112 So. Wabash Avenue, Chicago. I assume it is the same company you guys are referring to. Listed in this catalog is "The New Deardorff. All Purpose Camera Is Now Here!".

Len

Tin Can
19-Jul-2014, 23:01
Sad to hear that Don, will be the last, but the way Chicago is changing and building everywhere, I bet even Wabash changes and it hasn't changed in a very long time, from the Palmer House, The Jewelry building, Central Camera, Millers Pub, Adams Shoes and I could go on. Adams shoes has 6 stories underground of NOS 40's to 90's shoes. The Jewelry building may still have car elevators for secure access from car to shop for shop owners only. Very old school.

I wish I had more reason to visit Central Camera, and my last trip there revealed I can buy gallons of TF5 for less than PF prices with shipping. I order 4 gallons at a time from PF for the lowest shipping cost. To save a buck, I'll have to take a car load home and Don does provide free parking.

I also always find some odd and rare gizmo I must have. They do get irked when I buy single rolls of 35mm for walk about, but when I am walking in Chicago with a camera I want my hands free and a heavy metal camera on a long strap.

Kirk, I guess you are back home by now. We are enjoying a rain forest summer. Warm rain is always pleasant for me.

Yes I had a long discussion with him before I left. He also told me that he would be the last owner of the business as none oh his children wanted to take it over.