PDA

View Full Version : Do most shops clean the glass and picture when mounting them?

James1995
18-Jul-2014, 04:55
I know this may sound like an awfully stupid question but today I finally went and got my pictures all sorted be picking them up later, what I'm curious is will he clean them to make sure no marks/dirt is on the frame before putting it into place taping it etc.

I'm sorry I'm just awfully paranoid.

jnantz
18-Jul-2014, 05:57
yup when they assemble a frame the shop cleans the glass so it is spotless
cleans dust off the artwork/print.. whatever ..
and seal it in the frame with a backing paper ( craft paper )

or they used to ...

paulr
18-Jul-2014, 08:28
If they don't, you're entitled to be mad about it.

Drew Wiley
18-Jul-2014, 08:38
There's no guarantee of anything based upon mere custom. For all you know, they might clean the glass with something that is adverse to the print itself. There is
simply no substitute for asking up front, or for doing a little homework in advance, so you know how to identify a competent frame shop and adequately communicate
your needs to them. But in terms of just visual appearance, there should be no visible streaks or fingerprints etc on the glass, and no "fish" swimming around inside
(a framer's term for little bits of dust behind the glass, or on the print) - nobody should expect to pay for those kind of mistakes.

James1995
18-Jul-2014, 09:54
Yes it went all fine.

One query, I got an Elvis Presley poster which said "ELVIS PRESLEY" in the middle and I asked the man to have that in the middle, how has he managed to do that since when you mat them you are working on the back of the image do you know what I mean.

Greg Miller
18-Jul-2014, 10:50
If you are talking about an Elvis Presley poster on velvet, I curiously had the same thing happen with my velvet dogs playing poker poster. It was centered perfectly. Instant masterpiece!

Jon Shiu
18-Jul-2014, 10:58
Here's a trick to use with elvis posters: center the mat on top and then use a couple clips on the edges to hold the position. Then flip it over and tape in place.

Jon

James1995
18-Jul-2014, 12:33
I mean the "ELVIS PRESLEY" under the image is right in the centre, how can you do that when matting you are putting the image on from the back.

James1995
18-Jul-2014, 12:34
Like when you have words under an image how do you make sure its in the middle.

I wanna know because in the future I wanna be able to do the matting myself.

James1995
18-Jul-2014, 12:36
Oh I get it when putting the tape on then look at it from the front adjust it then give it a little press the mat so it sticks and its sorted yeah.

Greg Miller
18-Jul-2014, 12:40
Here's a trick to use with elvis posters: center the mat on top and then use a couple clips on the edges to hold the position. Then flip it over and tape in place.

Jon

I think that only works with Elivis poster. It won't work with dogs playing poker posters. Bow wow.

Jmarmck
18-Jul-2014, 12:41
I always used a ruler and pencil to make tic marks.