PDA

View Full Version : Which Polaroid back for 4x5?

4x5fan
17-Jul-2014, 23:20
I'm having a difficult time figuring out which Polaroid back to use with my 4x5 camera. I'm planning on purchasing expired film, such as Kodak Ektachrome 64T but I have no idea which Polaroid back will accept it, or how I can even figure out which Polaroid backs take which slide films. I've heard a lot of suggestions saying to go with the 545 because of Fuji film, and I would go with it except I'm not entirely sure if the 545 backs ONLY accept fuji film or if they will accept other kinds as well, such as the Koda Ektachrome. Any help with figuring out what Polaroid back to use and what kinds of film it accepts would be very grateful. And if there is a universal back, then that would be even better meaning I can just use all types :)

P.S. I own a Graphic View II with Graflok back, just in case I will need a specific Polaroid back that will fit on the camera.

Tin Can
17-Jul-2014, 23:44
Is this a real question?

You have so many misconceptions, it is hard to even start.

Don't buy anything until you Google a little more.

matthewmassey
18-Jul-2014, 02:59
Hey guys, I'm interested in purchasing a 405 Polaroid Back for my Crown ... Of course, I'd love to shoot the 4x5 Fuji instant film...

zanny zebra pokie (http://www.playonlinepokies.com.au/blog/zany-zebra-slot/)

soboyle
18-Jul-2014, 06:06
4x5 film will not fit in a polaroid back, you need a proper 4x5 sheet film holder.
There is no longer any 4x5 instant film being made. Fingers crossed for the New55 project.
You can find old Polaroid and Fuji 4x5 instant film stock on ebay for anywhere from $3-$10 and up per sheet.
The only peel apart pack film currently being made is the Fujifilm FP-100C, which you can shoot on a 4x5 with the proper fuji pa-145 back or polaroid 405 back.

jnantz
18-Jul-2014, 06:23
there are readyload holders ( a few different versions ) which
accept a variety of flms that have been sold over the years
that look like polaroids but are regular 4x5 sheet film.
i can't remember if they are still being sold ( the film or the holders )
(maybe in the "expired marketplace" / giant auction cyberspace garage sale )

good luck !

Brian C. Miller
18-Jul-2014, 07:21
Polaroid 545: Polaroid sheet film, Kodak ReadyLoad, Fujifilm QuickLoad, and of course the very hopefully coming next year New55 (http://new55project.blogspot.com/).
Polaroid 405: Fujifilm FP100C (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/18595-USA/Fujifilm_15435626_FP_100C_Professional_Instant_Color.html). Alternately, use the Fujifilm PA-145 (http://www.japanexposures.com/shop/film-analog/pa-145-instant-film-holder-new.html) holder.
Polaroid 505: Fujifilm FP100C45. This film is no longer available.

Normal sheet film goes into a normal sheet film holder, also called a double dark slide.

4x5fan
18-Jul-2014, 09:25
Is this a real question?

You have so many misconceptions, it is hard to even start.

Don't buy anything until you Google a little more.

Wooow excuse me for not being a genius on it. I made a mistake, mistakes happen. Nobody learns without making mistakes.
Thanks for the "help"

4x5fan
18-Jul-2014, 09:30
Okay, maybe what I am looking for is an instant film holder?
For those who actually took their time to try and help me out I appreciate it.

4x5fan
18-Jul-2014, 09:39
Thank you, you know what I'm talking about!
Although I didn't know the name except than 'instant film holder' so when I googled that I kept getting sent to links about Polaroid backs so that's where my confusion came from.
Then I'm guessing with one of these it really doesn't matter which holder I'd get?

Bob Salomon
18-Jul-2014, 09:51
Okay, maybe what I am looking for is an instant film holder?
For those who actually took their time to try and help me out I appreciate it.

Have you called and asked Fuji? Or a camera store that sells film?

Brian C. Miller
18-Jul-2014, 09:53
Then I'm guessing with one of these it really doesn't matter which holder I'd get?

The holder you need for what is commercially available is the Polaroid 405 or Fujifilm PA-145 holder. The only instant film currently produced is the Fujifilm FP100C. That's it. There is no other fresh instant film available.

From a quick look at your other posts, you have a potential problem with a pack holder because you are using a Graphic View II. The pack holders are much thicker than a sheet film holder, and some older cameras don't have the clearance in the back to accept a pack holder.

Tin Can
18-Jul-2014, 10:31
Thank you my patient friends for answering OP's questions. I think I was having an off night. My apologies.

Good luck OP, all these answers are correct.

csxcnj
18-Jul-2014, 10:40
I use the Polaroid 405 back on my Super Speed with Graflok back. The Fuji version does not work on it because the dark slide is too stiff and will not clear the stop on the Graflok back. Either one works on my Chamonix 045F1.

vdonovan
18-Jul-2014, 10:51
This is about the most accurate, clearest, most straightforward, non-attitude-laden response I've ever seen on the web.

Tin Can
18-Jul-2014, 11:01
While the 3000 ISO B&W Fujifilm Instant FP3000B is discontinued, it is still available many places for double it's old price.

I love this product and still shoot it.

Look here (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/278326-REG/Fujifilm_15200772_FP_3000B_Professional_Instant_Black.html).

4x5fan
18-Jul-2014, 17:22
Thanks for all the help everyone, I feel like I'm starting to understand a lot more. I'm a complete noob here to large format so bare with me please, that's the reason I wanted the back because I feel it would help me learn faster if I can see the product right away. I don't know for certain but what I heard is that the 405 back can probably fit between the ground glass and the back of my GV II as long as I have a graflok back (which I do), but as mentioned above there's still the possibility the pack holder may be too thick. So do they have sheet holders for the Polaroid 405 and the Fujifilm PA-145 that I can get just to be safe? Or should I take the chance and purchase one of these backs for packs and see if they will work for myself?

Tin Can
18-Jul-2014, 17:59
Watch these youtubes.

I found them using Google 'Graphic View II and 405'

I do not recommend using a 405 with your camera. I have the same camera and a 405. While it can be done, you will lose critical focus stuffing the 405 in as seen in video 1.

http://youtu.be/FvOOVgMiW2E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RZi2rGN80s

csxcnj
18-Jul-2014, 17:59
Thanks for all the help everyone, I feel like I'm starting to understand a lot more. I'm a complete noob here to large format so bare with me please, that's the reason I wanted the back because I feel it would help me learn faster if I can see the product right away. I don't know for certain but what I heard is that the 405 back can probably fit between the ground glass and the back of my GV II as long as I have a graflok back (which I do), but as mentioned above there's still the possibility the pack holder may be too thick. So do they have sheet holders for the Polaroid 405 and the Fujifilm PA-145 that I can get just to be safe? Or should I take the chance and purchase one of these backs for packs and see if they will work for myself?

Just remembered a Graphic View II I have laying around. I tried the Fuji PA-145 on it first. It fits AND the dark slide clears the stop on the back.

With that said I prefer the Fuji pack holder for no real reasons I can quantify. I only have one of each and just like the Fuji more. It is newer than the Polaroid, which works fine also

4x5fan
18-Jul-2014, 18:29
Thanks, just watched both your videos. I agree I don't think I'll want the 405, I'd rather not lose the focus. Thank you.

4x5fan
18-Jul-2014, 18:32
Laying around? Wow you must have quite a few cameras to have forgotten :D
Looks like I'll be going with the Fuji then, as it fits and I won't have any trouble with it. Thank you so much! :D

csxcnj
18-Jul-2014, 19:39
Laying around? Wow you must have quite a few cameras to have forgotten :D
Looks like I'll be going with the Fuji then, as it fits and I won't have any trouble with it. Thank you so much! :D

Only four LF's but about 60 35's and MF's of various types.

We had a small family reunion at my Mom's night before last. I brought the Super Speed and four packs of Fuji FP-100c. I set up and took photos of various combos of relatives and friends. Passed out the snaps as souvenirs. Everyone was amazed at the camera and had a ball posing. It was a blast. And the photos were mostly in focus. Those that weren't...operator error/hard cider.

I watched the video Randy posted. That is not a GV II. both the Polaroid and the Fuji holders fit smoothly, easily and snugly in the GV IIback.

Tin Can
18-Jul-2014, 20:08
No, not exactly the same, but in the video the camera back is the same, and the camera WILL shake and wiggle inserting a 405. I found it impossible to maintain focus with my red bellows, triangular rail GV2.

I cannot speak for the Fuji holder.

I also enjoy shooting parties with the still available FP 3000B, but use a Mamiya RB, as a SLR is so much easier to focus, despite the RB being heavier than a GV2. The 3000 ISO film can be shot in available party light.

You are correct that people love a party with Fujiroid and I am always amazed how many 30 year olds claim to have never seen a Polaroid. I usually ask and get $5 per image at a party. Why give it away...

Only four LF's but about 60 35's and MF's of various types.

We had a small family reunion at my Mom's night before last. I brought the Super Speed and four packs of Fuji FP-100c. I set up and took photos of various combos of relatives and friends. Passed out the snaps as souvenirs. Everyone was amazed at the camera and had a ball posing. It was a blast. And the photos were mostly in focus. Those that weren't...operator error/hard cider.

I watched the video Randy posted. That is not a GV II. both the Polaroid and the Fuji holders fit smoothly, easily and snugly in the GV IIback.

csxcnj
18-Jul-2014, 20:14
No, not exactly the same, but in the video the camera back is the same, and the camera WILL shake and wiggle inserting a 405. I found it impossible to maintain focus with my red bellows, triangular rail GV2.

I cannot speak for the Fuji holder.

I also enjoy shooting parties with the still available FP 3000B, but use a Mamiya RB, as a SLR is so much easier to focus, despite the RB being heavier than a GV2. The 3000 ISO film can be shot in available party light.

You are correct that people love a party with Fujiroid and I am always amazed how many 30 year olds claim to have never seen a Polaroid. I usually ask and get $5 per image at a party. Why give it away...

I find the Fuji to be a little smoother when mounting. I'm lucky with my GVII also, it has tight standard adjustments and rail locks.

I don't think charging family, some of whom I hadn't seen in years, $5 a pop for a snap would have gone over too well even if I'd thought to try.

Tin Can
18-Jul-2014, 20:28
Of course, I would not charge family $5. They would be charged $10.

I find the Fuji to be a little smoother when mounting. I'm lucky with my GVII also, it has tight standard adjustments and rail locks.

I don't think charging family, some of whom I hadn't seen in years, $5 a pop for a snap would have gone over too well even if I'd thought to try.

4x5fan
20-Jul-2014, 20:59
Depends on the relative I guess? haha
"Well you didn't give me the Christmas present I wanted so cough up 5 bucks."
That's pretty neat though, basically making back the money you spent on the film and plus some.
And yeah I think I'm definitely going to go with the Fuji!

Tin Can
20-Jul-2014, 21:06
THe people I charge are usually unknown drunks at a party. If they pay $5 they might even keep the image.

20 years ago Chicago had an old guy with a nice Polaroid setup, who hit all the Punk rock clubs and charged $10 per shot of mostly couples. He was making money and usually sold at least 20 per bar on busy nights.

Depends on the relative I guess? haha
"Well you didn't give me the Christmas present I wanted so cough up 5 bucks."
That's pretty neat though, basically making back the money you spent on the film and plus some.
And yeah I think I'm definitely going to go with the Fuji!