PDA

View Full Version : Large format magazine: Issue one. Subscribe today!!!!!!!!!

MBarolet
16-Jul-2014, 19:21
Issue number one of large format magazine is getting ready to be released!

Large format magazine is a magazine app for cell phones and apps published by focus art apps.
Each issue will be dedicated to one photographer and is ad free (other than ads from galleries that sell the photographer from that issues work).

The idea behind large format magazine is to return to the old monograph like photography magazines. Similar to what aperture once did.

Subscribe today. Each issue will be dilivered to your phone or tablet upon release.

www.largeformatmagazine.com

Bruce Watson
17-Jul-2014, 05:01
Large format magazine is a magazine app for cell phones and apps...

Yes, that's just what I need -- a display for my photographs that's smaller than my camera's negative size. Y'all have a strange idea of what's meant by "large format" in connection to photography.

TXFZ1
17-Jul-2014, 05:45
Can you post the table of contents? I only see the one article of your photographs. What else is discussed?

David

Dan Dozer
17-Jul-2014, 08:00
Your webpage for subscriptions says $14.99 for a digital subscription for a year but the cover of the magazine on your web page also says $3.99 on it. Are you planning on issuing hard printed copies of the magazine or just the digital version? Is the $3.99 cost for a single issue digitally? I for one don't have tablet and have no interest in a digital version for my cell phone which has an image size that is smaller than a 120 negative. I can really appreciate your vision of having a format more dedicated to real photography, I'm too old school and would only be interested in a hard copy version.

ImSoNegative
17-Jul-2014, 08:35
I would like to see a sample article as well

lecarp
17-Jul-2014, 09:48
One post, your own work and no information other than a subscribe button. I believe I will pass.

Ed Bray
17-Jul-2014, 09:52
Subscribe today and get your issue in June 2014 (isn't it now July?).

anglophone1
17-Jul-2014, 12:20
Tough crowd here! ;-)

Kirk Gittings
17-Jul-2014, 13:01
One post, your own work and no information other than a subscribe button. I believe I will pass.

Subscribe today and get your issue in June 2014 (isn't it now July?).

Tough crowd here! ;-)

:) Always has been, always will be..........hopefully

anglophone1
17-Jul-2014, 13:35
Absolutely!:cool:

:) Always has been, always will be..........hopefully

Keith Fleming
17-Jul-2014, 14:26
I think using the title "Large Format" probably will bring on legal troubles from the existing hard-copy Large Format Magazine. The publisher of the latter, Steve Simmons, is not likely to be pleased.

Keith

Kirk Gittings
17-Jul-2014, 14:55
It's View Camera Magazine that SS publishes..........

Wayne
17-Jul-2014, 16:40
Great. Another magazine that isn't a magazine. Will it even show photographs that aren't photographs?

Disappointedly yours,

Old School Wayne

Keith Fleming
17-Jul-2014, 18:27
It's View Camera Magazine that SS publishes..........

I think I will voluntarily move myself to the back of the classroom, sit on a stool, put on my dunce hat. and (since am a subscriber) read my latest copy of View Camera Magazine. My post was a very senior Senior Moment.

Tin Can
17-Jul-2014, 18:35
As an aside, I really enjoyed the current issue of Steve Simmons' 'View Camera' which just arrived. March/April 2014 issue.

Lori Nix is really something else. Great work, what attention to detail!

Kirk Gittings
17-Jul-2014, 21:44
I think I will voluntarily move myself to the back of the classroom, sit on a stool, put on my dunce hat. and (since am a subscriber) read my latest copy of View Camera Magazine. My post was a very senior Senior Moment.
:)

Andrew O'Neill
17-Jul-2014, 22:38
As an aside, I really enjoyed the current issue of Steve Simmons' 'View Camera' which just arrived. March/April 2014 issue.

Lori Nix is really something else. Great work, what attention to detail!

Still waiting for mine!

SMBooth
17-Jul-2014, 22:43
Quite a different response to what "The Looking Glass" received..

Laura_Campbell
17-Jul-2014, 23:08
Quite a different response to what "The Looking Glass" received..

Thank. God. Thank you all, for being so sweet to us. We like you too.

Tin Can
17-Jul-2014, 23:14
Several print magazines I subscribe to offer tablet/cell phone editions. Even New York Times offers a cheaper digital version if one uses a tablet.

But I have not seen a tablet yet, I want to buy. I am typing this on a real computer, albeit very small, a 2010 MacBook Air 11" that blows any tablet out of the water.

Only the young are stuck on phablets, which are a waste of money in my 'book'.

Give us full platform content, then I will subscribe, I love magazines. I must get 20 a month, a few digital, most in paper. Half are free and the other half are cheap and often come 2 for 1, if I make a gift of the second copy. Which I do.

Then there's the argument, the young are hip and wildly spend money, however we oldsters outspend any other cohort by far, but are ignored by advertisers. I vote with my cash.

Please!

ImSoNegative
18-Jul-2014, 05:34
Strange, the OP hasn't responded to any of the responses

Sal Santamaura
18-Jul-2014, 05:55
Strange, the OP hasn't responded to any of the responsesThe OP hasn't logged on here since four minutes after making the first post.

MBarolet
18-Jul-2014, 06:19
You will be able to purchase single issues or subscribe for a year.
There is currently no print version planned.
Each issue will feature one large format photographer and will have a portfolio of about 20-30 pieces.

We aim to show new and unpublished work by both well known and emerging photographers.

A call for entries will be posted soon for issue 3.

pound
20-Jul-2014, 01:19
Surprising d last page of the sample issue with is an ad for the View Camera magazine.

benrains
22-Jul-2014, 21:01
I don't really see the downside of having another LF publication for promoting more of the work of photographers. If digital publications aren't your thing, then I guess I can understand you not wanting to subscribe. That format is incredibly convenient for independently published periodicals though, and honestly, the image quality on a decent laptop or tablet is far better than your average offset printed publication. The guy publishing it, Michael Barolet, is also an actively practicing large format photographer who does really amazing work.

Tin Can
22-Jul-2014, 21:23
It doesn't work on laptops that I can see.

Andrew O'Neill
22-Jul-2014, 21:45
Randy, did you subscribe or just check out the link?

Tin Can
22-Jul-2014, 21:56
Neither, because his post says, 'Subscribe today. Each issue will be dilivered to your phone or tablet upon release.'

If a digital publisher can't tell me it will work on my laptop, I am not buying.

Randy, did you subscribe or just check out the link?

munz6869
22-Jul-2014, 22:47
The market is hardly saturated, and I'd be the last person to argue against 'more choice' in large format photography reading materials. However, from a marketing/personal choice perspective, I am more likely to spend my hard earned pennies on the things I can see the obvious hard work and development within the 'community' - so I subscribed the instant I saw 'Looking Glass' mag, and persist with 'View Camera' mag :-)

Marc!

Tin Can
23-Jul-2014, 00:17
I subscribe to View Camera, but found nothing about a 'Looking Glass' LF magazine with Google. Is it defunct? I will subscribe to almost anything LF or film.

Since I am only 3 years into LF on any level, I am not fully up to speed on many aspects and most likely never will be.

If the OP would supply a little more info, I will subscribe, if it works on an actual computer.

Will anyone verify the usable OS'?

The market is hardly saturated, and I'd be the last person to argue against 'more choice' in large format photography reading materials. However, from a marketing/personal choice perspective, I am more likely to spend my hard earned pennies on the things I can see the obvious hard work and development within the 'community' - so I subscribed the instant I saw 'Looking Glass' mag, and persist with 'View Camera' mag :-)

Marc!

anglophone1
23-Jul-2014, 00:42
Randy
Two diffrent issues- this and
http://lookingglasszine.com/
published by Laura Campbell.
See thread under new products?

benrains
23-Jul-2014, 05:58
If the OP would supply a little more info, I will subscribe, if it works on an actual computer.

Randy, the text on the subscription page may have changed since he first put it up but it reads "6 Issues per year delivered to your mobile or desktop device." Which should include laptops as well. If you click the linked image on the page for the first issue preview, you can see what it'll look like on your computer. The publishing platform he's using is FLIPHTML5 and their page claims their digital publications work on Mac & Windows under all current web browsers (any recent version of Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Internet Explorer that supports HTML5 should work.)

Dan Dozer
23-Jul-2014, 10:18
The image appears to be linked to something on my laptop (which is running on windows 7) but all I get from it is a blank screen. The image on my PC (which is running on windows 8.1) is not linked to anything.

Sorry, but while the image on the OP's posted site looks very impressive, unless it is more user friendly for us non Iphone or tablet users and there is better evidence that it will work for me, I don't have any interest.

Laura_Campbell
23-Jul-2014, 13:18
I subscribe to View Camera, but found nothing about a 'Looking Glass' LF magazine with Google. Is it defunct? I will subscribe to almost anything LF or film.

Since I am only 3 years into LF on any level, I am not fully up to speed on many aspects and most likely never will be.

Hi Randy,

Looking Glass Magazine (http://lookingglasszine.com) is dedicated to promoting contemporary film photographers using any camera format. You can learn more about us on our website (http://lookingglasszine.com), where you can preview our current inaugural issue. There are instructions for subscribing on our website as well.

I will always include large format in every issue of Looking Glass since that is the format I use and love. In LG #2: Richard Garrod, Tobi Wilkinson, Marv Thompson, Jan Pietrzak, plus a Tales from the Lens, and a column by Amanda Tomlin.

We are not affiliated with the Large Format Magazine discussed in this thread, or View Camera Magazine.

Laura_Campbell
23-Jul-2014, 13:27

Marc!

Thank you for subscribing! Amanda and I plus contributing staff are working pretty darn hard to bring our subscribers strong work and exceptional writing.

Merg Ross
23-Jul-2014, 14:09
Hi Randy,

Looking Glass Magazine (http://lookingglasszine.com) is dedicated to promoting contemporary film photographers using any camera format. You can learn more about us on our website (http://lookingglasszine.com), where you can preview our current inaugural issue. There are instructions for subscribing on our website as well.

I will always include large format in every issue of Looking Glass since that is the format I use and love. In LG #2: Richard Garrod, Tobi Wilkinson, Marv Thompson, Jan Pietrzak, plus a Tales from the Lens, and a column by Amanda Tomlin.

We are not affiliated with the Large Format Magazine discussed in this thread, or View Camera Magazine.

Richard Garrod, good choice! Stimulating work by a master gelatin silver printer. When we met last year he was engaged in a large printing project, and celebrated his 90th birthday in June. I'll check out issue #2 for sure. Wish you great success in your venture!

anglophone1
23-Jul-2014, 14:10
Having promoted you earlier-thought I should join in- years sub purchased- now all I have to do is get to the Death Valley workshop too- no chance for 2014 but 2015?
Clive

Hi Randy,

Laura_Campbell
23-Jul-2014, 14:32
Richard Garrod, good choice! Stimulating work by a master gelatin silver printer. When we met last year he was engaged in a large printing project, and celebrated his 90th birthday in June. I'll check out issue #2 for sure. Wish you great success in your venture!

Thank you, Merg! Richard has been really helpful, and a joy to work with. His photographs are stunning, and inspiring. I'm looking forward to sharing his work with our readers.

Best to you,
Laura

Laura_Campbell
23-Jul-2014, 14:49
Having promoted you earlier-thought I should join in- years sub purchased- now all I have to do is get to the Death Valley workshop too- no chance for 2014 but 2015?
Clive

Thank you for subscribing, Clive.

It's up to the board directors to decide if we'll renew our permit in Death Valley for the 2015 season. I'm all for renewing our DV-CUA permit. I can safely say that there's a strong possibility for another one in 2015, though it's a decision that requires voting by board directors. It might be interesting to offer a ESC4P workshop in Lone Pine as well, with permitting through BLM.

Tin Can
23-Jul-2014, 15:54
I just subscribed Laura.

Thank you!

Hi Randy,

Tin Can
23-Jul-2014, 15:56
I also subscribed to this.

Issue number one of large format magazine is getting ready to be released!

Large format magazine is a magazine app for cell phones and apps published by focus art apps.
Each issue will be dedicated to one photographer and is ad free (other than ads from galleries that sell the photographer from that issues work).

The idea behind large format magazine is to return to the old monograph like photography magazines. Similar to what aperture once did.

Subscribe today. Each issue will be dilivered to your phone or tablet upon release.

www.largeformatmagazine.com

Laura_Campbell
23-Jul-2014, 16:04
I just subscribed Laura.

Thank you!

Thank you, Randy!