PDA

View Full Version : 90mm on a Zone VI???

Jmarmck
16-Jul-2014, 11:23
I have a Nikkor SW 4.5/90 that I would like to mount on a Zone VI. When I put the lens on and try to focus to infinity the base of front standard moves all the way back till in comes in contact with the base of the back standard yet it is still not in focus. Am I missing something here or will that lens, and any other shorter focal lengths, simply not work on the Zone VI? There is still room to compress the bellows further but the base of the standards to not allow it. Are there recessed boards for a Zone VI?

Signed

Confused n00b

koh303
16-Jul-2014, 11:41
You must tilt the front standard back, and then use the yaw/axle axis to straighten the front frame. You can them get the lens closer to the glass.
See this demo on a deardorff 5X7:

Alan Gales
16-Jul-2014, 11:45
From what I have heard there were several Zone Vi models over the years. Read the second review here under disadvantages. http://www.largeformatphotography.info/zoneVI.html

Maybe you need the bag bellows like suggested.

Jmarmck
16-Jul-2014, 11:54
Ah, yes. Tilt the front standard back. I was working really hard to keep the two parallel by keeping the rails vertical. I will try that when I get home.

I have a bag bellows, well something that has partial normal and partial bag but it makes no difference.

Thanks! :cool:

Colorado CJ
16-Jul-2014, 12:43
All you need to do is slide the focus rail all the way out. Then slide the front standard all the way back and lock it down. Now you can focus all the way back until the front standard is all the way inside the back standard.

I believe you can use down to a 65mm lens with a regular flat lens board with this camera, maybe even wider than 65mm.

lenser
16-Jul-2014, 13:23
As koh says, you will need to move the standards apart enough so that you can tilt the supports backward on the front standard and then reset the actual lens board to vertical. That allows the lens to recess well into the rear frame, enough so that I have used a 47mm on my Zone VI with no issues whatever. The bag bellows is a huge help in terms of eliminating compression issues but even more so in terms of allowing freedom for the camera movements to operate with the two standards so close together.

Please see a PM I am sending regarding the original catalog instruction's.

Leigh
16-Jul-2014, 13:26
As was mentioned, there are several different "Zone VI" field cameras.
They each have slightly different specs.

I have the one made by Zone VI, and have no trouble using my Fujinon SWD 5.6/90 at infinity.
My lens has a flange focal distance of 102.5mm, compared with 97.4mm for the Nikkor SW 4.5/90, so I
have a bit more room.

- Leigh

Jmarmck
16-Jul-2014, 15:24
Ah Ha! Thank you guys! It works with room to spare.

Actually, I feel a bit stupid.

BTW the camera is a Zone VI "Made by Zone VI Studios, Newfane, Vermont, U.S.A.".
and the rails are still sticky.