PDA

View Full Version : loose rear lens cap

Kirk Gittings
15-Jul-2014, 10:40
if you had a loose plastic lens cap and wanted to tighten it up a hair what would you do?

Kirk Gittings
15-Jul-2014, 10:47
Well I put a small piece of the "furry" side of velcro on the side and it seems to work well. I'll see if it lasts.

Jmarmck
15-Jul-2014, 10:56
masking tape.......................:p

Alan Gales
15-Jul-2014, 11:06
Replace it with a pinch cap if it gives you trouble again.

Louis Pacilla
15-Jul-2014, 11:12
Hey Kirk I find that when modern plastic caps give up the "hold" I add a bit of gaffers tape as needed. Most of the time it needs only a mm or less to fit snugly again and most Velcro/ sticky back felt seems to be too thick then I usually needed on the this type of lose fitting cap.

Nothing worse then having the expectation of a rear cell having a cap on it when you sit it down out of doors. Only to realize the loose fitting cap is laying at your feet and the rear cell glass is on the hard surface I had sat it on. What a bummer that is.

Now with "vintage" lenses if I find a leather cap that's a close fit but to large by a 2 mm or 3 mm then I'll make up the difference with sticky back felt which is a few mm thick from the go.

BTW-If the Velcro you used is working out then that's that.

Kirk Gittings
15-Jul-2014, 11:49
Replace it with a pinch cap if it gives you trouble again.

No thread on the rear for it to grab on to. Do many LF lenses have rear threads?

Kirk Gittings
15-Jul-2014, 11:51
Hey Kirk I find that when modern plastic caps give up the "hold" I add a bit of gaffers tape as needed. Most of the time it needs only a mm or less to fit snugly again and most Velcro/ sticky back felt seems to be too thick then I usually needed on the this type of lose fitting cap.

Nothing worse then having the expectation of a rear cell having a cap on it when you sit it down out of doors. Only to realize the loose fitting cap is laying at your feet and the rear cell glass is on the hard surface I had sat it on. What a bummer that is.

Now with "vintage" lenses if I find a leather cap that's a close fit but to large by a 2 mm or 3 mm then I'll make up the difference with sticky back felt which is a few mm thick from the go.

BTW-If the Velcro you used is working out then that's that.

The problem any kind of tape including Velcro is the heat out here in the SW. Sometimes you just have to leave your gear in a hot car and the temps can skyrocket melting the adhesive on any tape.

Jmarmck
15-Jul-2014, 12:45
That comment about masking tape was a joke. Yes may adhesives will cook in the heat. Not to state the obvious but you could always buy a new one.

mdarnton
15-Jul-2014, 14:52
I had some loose Leica front caps which I tightened by holding a pin in a forceps, heating it over a gas flame, and used the tip to drag a few tracks the short way (front to back) in the inside of the cap in a few places--maybe six or so. This plowed up little ridges on either side of the point that were just enough to make the cap fit nice and tight. Adhesives inevitably get gunky with time, and peel.

Brian Sims
15-Jul-2014, 15:03
I fixed mine once by tossing the cap in some boiling water for a couple of minutes and then wrapping it with a wide, tight rubber band and leaving it for a few days. The tighter fit last for almost a year, then I had to do it again.

Bob Salomon
15-Jul-2014, 15:27
Try a hair dryer

Alan Gales
15-Jul-2014, 16:02
No thread on the rear for it to grab on to. Do many LF lenses have rear threads?

My 14" Commercial Ektar and Fujinon W 250mm f/6.7 both have threads on the rear and sport pinch caps. My 19" Artar will also accept a pinch cap on the rear element.

I checked out my modern Schneider and Caltar lenses and you look to be correct.

goamules
16-Jul-2014, 07:47
Maybe a piece of rubber inner tube, or other material, could be used as a "safety catch" over the lens caps. I don't mean wrap it around the diameter, I mean wrap it around the lensboard, over the top of each cap. Glue the ends together when you get the sizing right.

HMG
16-Jul-2014, 11:09
I've seen where a soldering iron was used to put a "bump" on the inside edge - with a soft plastic cap.

Pete Roody
16-Jul-2014, 12:27
Steve Grimes developed a technique using a soldering iron to put some burrs in the inside edge of his machined caps so they would fit tight. His method is shown here:

http://www.skgrimes.com/products/lens-caps

ic-racer
16-Jul-2014, 21:10
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?29267-Here-we-go-Century-8x10-Restoration&p=279523&viewfull=1#post279523

vinny
17-Jul-2014, 04:11
I've always stretched black electrical tape around the lens. Do two wraps then peel off short pieces until the cap fits. Works every time. No residue and the tape is barely noticable. I usually cut the tape down to 1/4" or 3/8" wide first by sticking a foot of it to plexiglass and cutting with a straight edge and exacto.

Kirk Gittings
17-Jul-2014, 07:21
a ton of great ideas here! Thanks.

Kirk Gittings
17-Jul-2014, 07:22
a ton of great ideas here! Thanks.

We should probably move this to the DIY Section.

rdenney
17-Jul-2014, 08:22
We should probably move this to the DIY Section.

Rick "done" Denney

Kirk Gittings
17-Jul-2014, 08:27
Thank you!

ROL
17-Jul-2014, 09:26
if you had a loose plastic lens cap and wanted to tighten it up a hair what would you do?
Try a hair dryer

Certainly seems logical. :D

All seriousness aside – a lot of good solutions here to a minor annoyance I only thought I had (except for that scary looking hose clamp :eek:).

Arne Croell
17-Jul-2014, 10:49
I fixed mine once by tossing the cap in some boiling water for a couple of minutes and then wrapping it with a wide, tight rubber band and leaving it for a few days. The tighter fit last for almost a year, then I had to do it again.

Yes, Brian is right. A minute or so in boiling water works fine, and is a bit safer than a hair dryer since you can't melt the plastic accidentally.

aquamanaquaman
31-Jan-2016, 11:05

aquamanaquaman
31-Jan-2016, 11:10
All the posts here were really helpful and got me thinking. I just had really good luck using JB Weld (an epoxy that you mix up in small batches, apply , then let set.)
I do a lot of work on cars, etc. and always have this stuff around. I just mixed up a dime sized amount, then used a paper clip to apply very small layers to build up material on the inside "threads" of the cap. I let it harden overnight. Then once it is set, just scrape away how ever much you may need to to get the cap on tightly to your liking. I just used this on an automatic lns cap on my street shooter. The fix is invisible. It won't be affected by temperature. And since I won't be taking this cap on and off, it should hold well, all without doing anything to my camera. Just adding material to an inexpensive plastic auto cap. JB Weld is pretty strong once set up. Very hard material. Good luck!

Michael E
31-Jan-2016, 13:10
I just had really good luck using JB Weld

I once fixed a torn oil pan with that. But isn't it too hard for a lens cap?

aquamanaquaman
31-Jan-2016, 17:11
I once fixed a torn oil pan with that. But isn't it too hard for a lens cap?

No. Because you are just trying to take up space where there would otherwise be plastic...right? Just use a little bit, just to take up a hair's worth f space.