PDA

View Full Version : Proper holders for infrared film?

Peter Hughes
19-Feb-1998, 20:06
I have heard that ordinary plastic film holders are not suitable for infrared fi lm, and that old wooden holders are best. I once heard of metal film holders mad e specifically for IF, but I have not seen them advertized for some time. Does a nyone have any first-hand experience in this matter?

John Lehman
24-Feb-1998, 16:46
Modern plastic holders are fine. There is reputed to be a problem with some har d-rubber darkslides from before the war. For awhile after 1940 darkslides which were IR safe had raised dots on them. Any holders made since the 1950's should be OK.

james mickelson
2-May-1998, 09:05
the most often made goof with ir film is not shielding the film holder when tran sferring it from your pack or whatever you are carrying your film in and the cam era. always, ALWAYS, shield the film holder from the sun. ir can get past the be st light traps and fog, if ever so slightly, the film, and composition you have worked so hard to get. i repeat, because i see it not done so often, always, ALW AYS, shield your film holder from direct or even bright indirect sunlight. until i learned this lesson, i ruined many very good negs. bye.