PDA

View Full Version : How to mount a Bausch and Lomb process lens?

wittfoto
14-Jul-2014, 08:30
I want to mount this Bausch and Lomb 430mm process lens to an 11x14 view camera I built but have no idea how to do it! I'm afraid to start messing around with any of the threaded components and wonder if anybody has any suggestions or advice. Thanks in advance! (Sorry the photo is upside down.)

Tin Can
14-Jul-2014, 08:59
Supply better pics, and I would think if can build a camera, you could mount a lens.

Welcome to the forum, introduce yourself.

I want to mount this Bausch and Lomb 430mm process lens to an 11x14 view camera I built but have no idea how to do it! I'm afraid to start messing around with any of the threaded components and wonder if anybody has any suggestions or advice. Thanks in advance! (Sorry the photo is upside down.)

wittfoto
14-Jul-2014, 09:39
Supply better pics, and I would think if can build a camera, you could mount a lens.

Welcome to the forum, introduce yourself.

My name is Scott and I teach photography at a high school. I am also host of Photography 101, a popular podcast on iTunes. Sorry the shot so poor - I got lazy with my iPad! Attached are several pix of this lens along with the camera I built and the lens board I'm using, which came off of a Burke and James 8x10 I own. My problem with the lens is that I don't see any kind of fitting that will allow me to attach it to the back of the lens board. In the camera you can see a Fujinon 210 mm that I have attached to plastic and in turn attached it to the lens board so I could easily use thin plastic as a mount instead if needed. I don't know if the mount is missing to this lens or the thread diameter of the rear piece. It's close to 49mm but a bit smaller. There is also a screw-mounted ring like thing on the lens but not sure if I should loosen that. As you can see in the lens board closeup that there is very little room in the BandJ board. I searched all over trying to find this lens actually mounted to something so no luck. I'm hoping to find somebody who is familiar with this lens for a suggestion. Let me know if you need any other pix or have any other questions and thanks for your input.
Scott Wittenburg

Dan Fromm
14-Jul-2014, 09:48
Scott, y'r first photo shows a collar clamped to the rear of the lens. What's under it?

Tin Can
14-Jul-2014, 09:57
Scott, I think you need to take off the slotted rear threaded part, as you must know many lenses mount that way.

Good to hear you teach film and make such nice cameras!

Jac@stafford.net
14-Jul-2014, 10:01
By the wear on the barrel I wonder if it has a barely visible taper and was press-fit into a board.

One way it might be mounted is to place a rubber tube over the barrel (if you can find one that fits snugly), enlarge the hole to be just a bit smaller than the tube and push it into the board. You could use a tad of glue on the hose.

wittfoto
14-Jul-2014, 10:25
Wow, the rubber tube idea sounds promising, Jac! And that may be an accurate guess on the worn area. I am definitely going to look for some rubber tubing (maybe a radiator hose?) and will let you know how it works out.

Thanks to all of you for your input! It has made me feel very welcome here!

wittfoto
14-Jul-2014, 10:27
I am afraid to find out what's under there at this point! I thought about loosening it up then started getting nervous since I don't know it's function. That may change . . . Thanks.

Tin Can
14-Jul-2014, 10:31
Hose clamp and rubber tubing.

wittfoto
14-Jul-2014, 10:36
Randy, again I am a bit hesitant to do that, mainly because I don't think there's enough thread there for attachment. I have never messed around with old process lenses before so this is new to me. I will say that this thing renders a wonderfully crisp image and I can't wait to try it out! All of my level one classes at the high school must learn film and how to print in the darkroom. No digital whatsoever, all 35mm black and white film! I teach medium and large format to my advanced students as well as alternative processes. I also teach photoshop and digital in a class called photo tech. I will never quit film-it's the only way to learn in my opinion. Thanks for the praise on my view camera! The biggest challenge was designing a film holder and making the bellows!

wittfoto
14-Jul-2014, 10:42
Hose clamp and rubber tubing.
Randy, I'm going shopping now and I'll be sure to get a hose clamp as well. Thanks again to all of you!