PDA

View Full Version : enlarging size question

zsolt
13-Jul-2014, 01:16
Hello everyone!
im Really Glad i found this forum:)
would like to ask your opinion how could i make bigger enlargements.i use a De Vere 503 enlarger with a multigrade 500 lightbox and a 150mm rodagon lens.
it goes 113cm/44inch high(its just the lightbox part,the lens is more deep of course,to focus)
if i leave my 80mm rodagon,than it would cover,but i run out of space on the table(the image goes to the standard that holds the whole enlarger.
my question would be:how could i make bigger prints with my De Vere?would there be a solution to solve this?
im satisfied with its performance,just its not "big enough" for this purpose.
bought paper in roll thats 1meter x 15 meter,and would love to make some 1meter x 1.20-1.40 prints.
and which fine grain film would you suggest for such enlargements?
how do You make big prints,if i may ask?
Any help/suggestion/idea is welcome!
Thanks Everyone!!
AlltheBest!
c.

Tim Meisburger
13-Jul-2014, 03:53
I think you might remove the table and mount the head horizontally so you can project on a wall. If you google Ansel Adams in the darkroom you can see a you tube video of his homemade set up, which I think would work for you.

zsolt
13-Jul-2014, 04:07
Thanks for the answer Tim!
the "problem" with this is that the knobs to enlarge-focus are under the table..
attached..
if i take it down i cant control it..
but ill check Mr Ansel about this..
he is a darkroom rat,so his idea cant go wrong:)
Thanks Tim!

Bob Salomon
13-Jul-2014, 06:32
An 80mm Rodagon will cover 6x7cm but not a 4x5" negative. The shortest lens Rodenstock made for 4x5" was the 120mm Rodagon-WA which allowed for a print size 30% larger then the 150 at the same column height. By covering means that the fall off and the resolution are not unacceptable at the edges and corners. Your 80mm may illuminate out that far but it is not a quality image from 45 much beyond the size of a 67cm area.

ROL
13-Jul-2014, 09:39
imake bigprintsall the time iguessyoucouldmake
betterbymountingenlarger onwall
and make droptableto increasedistancebetweenh ear
andenlargingsurface
heresannother suggestionimake that,youincludereadablepunctuationandsyntaxstructureinrspectfulmannerthat allowreaderstosusoutyouissueand makesolutionforu.

Bob Salomon
13-Jul-2014, 12:01
Thanks for the answer Tim!
the "problem" with this is that the knobs to enlarge-focus are under the table..
attached..
if i take it down i cant control it..
but ill check Mr Ansel about this..
he is a darkroom rat,so his idea cant go wrong:)
Thanks Tim!

Then you place a front surface mirror at a 45° angle directly under the lens and put your mural paper on the wall where the projected light would expose it.

Tim Meisburger
13-Jul-2014, 14:12
Bob! What a great idea!

zsolt
14-Jul-2014, 01:23
Bob is the Man!
Thank You!

zsolt
14-Jul-2014, 01:33
120mm Rodagon-WA..will remember that,Thanks!
didnt plan to use the 80mm on 4x5,cause the same reason you sad here..saw it with my eyes,it fell apart at the corners,indeed.