PDA

View Full Version : Schneider 120 Makro-Symmar for non-macro work?

Sizam
12-Jul-2014, 21:50
Is there any problem w/using a Schneider 120mm Makro-Symmar for non-macro work, ie using it as a 'normal' LF lens?

Leigh
12-Jul-2014, 22:34
All lenses are "optimized" for a particular reproduction ratio, meaning they'll work best at that distance.
General use lenses are optimized for perhaps 20:1 (distant), while makro lenses are more like 5:1 (close).

Any lens should work at any distance, although the distortion might be slightly worse than optimum.
When I say "slightly", I really do mean slightly. It's unlikely you would notice it except under laboratory conditions.

- Leigh

Dan Fromm
13-Jul-2014, 06:36
It won't cover 4x5 at magnifications smaller than 1:4. See https://web.archive.org/web/20060321090714/http://www.schneiderkreuznach.com/pdf/foto/sr_ma.pdf

If that doesn't bother you, fine. It would bother me.

Liquid Artist
13-Jul-2014, 07:35
Try it,you may be presently surprised.

I use a Schneider Componon 135mm f5.6 which came with my Linhof as my main lens, and it has given me some of my best LF results.
From what I can tell Schneider designed it as an enlarger lens, and modified the design into a Macro lens.
It is a little too sharp for everyday portraits.

I wouldn't be surprised if you have similar results.

Dan Fromm
13-Jul-2014, 09:00
LA, you really should follow links. If you follow the link I posted, you'll see that Makro-Symmars aren't tweaked Componons. Makro-Symmar, 8 elements in 4 groups; Componon, 6/4.

Leigh
13-Jul-2014, 10:09
Dan is right, as usual.

I had not considered image circle.

On macro lenses, that is normally spec'd at 1:1, rather than at infinity focus as is done for regular lenses.

The IC for a macro lens at infinity focus would be half the diameter shown on the datasheet.

- Leigh

Jim Andrada
13-Jul-2014, 12:54
I use a 210 Rodenstock Macro Sironar on my 5 x 7 - as people say, it might be "too sharp" for some applications. I love it but the image on the negative sometimes looks sharp enough to cut your eyeballs so to speak.

Of course there are days when an old landscape meniscus is just the thing

Anyhow, it works just fine at normal distances, although I haven't tried it for images of distant mountain peaks.

Sizam
13-Jul-2014, 17:30
Awesome guys thanks for confirming it'll (mostly) just work!

Dan Fromm
13-Jul-2014, 17:44
Awesome guys thanks for confirming it'll (mostly) just work!

Amazing how people will hear what they want to hear. It won't work well on 4x5 at distance. The largest format it covers at distance is 6x12, and that without movements.

If you want to use it at distance and have movements you'll need to shoot 2x3 (6x9 in metric).

Sizam
14-Jul-2014, 11:28
Ah,
It must have been the cough medicine but I read the interaction between you, LA and Leigh incorrectly. I see now that the image circle is going to be a big problem, you're right, thats no good :p