PDA

View Full Version : Printed image with white edges around it

James1995
11-Jul-2014, 11:29
I bought a print from the internet which is 11 x 17 but the image has white edges around it which when I hang it up I don't want to see but just the full picture, will buying a frame that is matted hide the white edge bits, they are about one inch all the way around?

I don't want to cut it because I'm paranoid about taking any of the picture off so will a mat job hide it?

It's like a white border... the image description is "Posters printed on 11 x 17 inch paper with image size of approximately 11 inches x 15 inches (28 x 38 cm)." the print has came and there is white around the image.

HELP???

I'm probably worrying over nothing but its the first time for me buying a frame etc.

Leigh
11-Jul-2014, 11:31
White (unexposed paper) edges are normal for real prints.
Those are caused by the blades that hold the paper in the easel.

Matting will just replace the color of the print edge (white) with the color of the mat.

You could choose a black or gray mat to make the edge less obvious.
I like black mats because they make the image look brighter.

and welcome aboard.

- Leigh

James1995
11-Jul-2014, 12:43

Matting will just replace the color of the print edge (white) with the color of the mat.

and welcome aboard.

- Leigh

I mean like around the image that has been printed its like excess a white border kind of thing do you know what I mean? I want to be able to hide this so all I see is the full image, will matting solve this?

Leigh
11-Jul-2014, 12:56
I already answered that. A white border is normal.

- Leigh

James1995
11-Jul-2014, 13:02
I already answered that. A white border is normal.

- Leigh

I've bought prints from online before and never had this before. I'm talking about an inch more all the way around not just a tiny one.

How does one go about getting rid of it or hiding it?

Leigh
11-Jul-2014, 13:09
Your previous prints have been "borderless" digital prints, done on an inkjet computer printer.

That's a completely different technology than real silver-based photographic prints.

- Leigh

James1995
11-Jul-2014, 13:19
Your previous prints have been "borderless" digital prints, done on an inkjet computer printer.

That's a completely different technology than real silver-based photographic prints.

- Leigh

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=silver-based+photographic+prints&rlz=1C1TEUA_enGB516GB516&espv=2&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=QEbAU-yPIMfROe3UgIAG&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ&biw=1366&bih=667

None of them show big one inch edges around the prints, do they?

So how do I go about getting rid of this excess? I'm worried about going into the picture, you know... :(

James1995
11-Jul-2014, 13:28
Okay so its the "bleed" I'm on about, how do I get rid of it?

djdister
11-Jul-2014, 14:08
Do not cut the white borders off, just cut your matboard to the actual image size and you're done.

Light Guru
11-Jul-2014, 14:23
How does one go about getting rid of it or hiding it?

Okay so its the "bleed" I'm on about, how do I get rid of it?

You keep asking that yet it has already been answered.

and welcome aboard.

You can simply hide it under a photo matt.

Take it to any frame shop and they can cut you a custom matt that will properly cover the white border.

Larry Gebhardt
11-Jul-2014, 14:25
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=silver-based+photographic+prints&rlz=1C1TEUA_enGB516GB516&espv=2&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=QEbAU-yPIMfROe3UgIAG&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ&biw=1366&bih=667

So how do I go about getting rid of this excess? I'm worried about going into the picture, you know... :(

Actually, some of the images your search linked to do show the border.

The border is normal. If you want to hide the border simply cut a mat with a window slightly smaller than the image size. You will then have mat board right up to the image. This is a traditional way of mounting a print. Some also cut the border off the print and dry mount the print to a backing board. Then the mat window is cut wider then the print so the image floats in the middle of the mat. I like this look, but would not use it for an image I purchased because it is very easy to mess up the image during framing, and it's almost impossible to undo the dry mount process. But I do frame my own prints this way.

My advice to you is to take the print to a frame shop and have them cut the mat and frame it. Most likely you won't find a precut mat for the exact size of the image.

ROL
11-Jul-2014, 14:26

STOP IT ALREADY! You're not listening. This forum's respondents have much experience in all kinds of photography from professional to amateur. You appear to talking some kind of personal aesthetic, that would not necessarily be respectful of the "artist" who made the photograph.

An inch of white space around the imaged area is quite normal in unmounted (loose) photographs, and may even contain a signature. Bleeding, is a mostly non-standard way of presenting prints. Sure you can, or have, cut a window mat to reveal the margin, cover it up, or intrude into the image area, if that is what you as owner desire. Many museums now do this with their loose vintage prints rather than permanently mount them, so you would be in good company, or BAD company by my reckoning.

Brian C. Miller
11-Jul-2014, 14:43
A Google search on a phrase in James' original post results in one site, showing something which may be similar to what he sees.

The print is a reproduction of earlier work. The earlier work's aspect ratio is simply different from the aspect ratio of the commonly used inkjet paper size, and is printed within the available area without being cropped, or the final print being trimmed to match the original's size. It has nothing to do with the original artist's intent, it's just been done because the printer didn't bother to match the original aspect ratio.

James, as others have suggest, just take it to a framing shop and get it framed with a custom mat size.

James1995
12-Jul-2014, 02:52
I apologise, I was just paranoid that something was wrong.

I think the best option will be take it to a shop, does anybody know roughly how much it will cost have the photo matted by either a) trimming the excess "border" b) hiding it by a mat?

I've already ordered the frames that come with a mat though.

Richard Johnson
12-Jul-2014, 06:17
If they are true artists, the image area will never coincide with commercial ready-made mat dimensions.

James1995
12-Jul-2014, 06:33
So when I go to a frame shop I've found local in Newcastle, what do I say?

Does anybody have any idea how much it will cost for them to mat a picture? One is 9x12 and other two are 11x17 size (I've got 11x14 and 13x19 frames).

Liquid Artist
12-Jul-2014, 07:39
James, Frame shops all make up their own pricing, and offer different opinions. Not to mention some do a better job than others, and may even use better materials.

The last work I had framed cost me around $60.00 each for 8x10, made using custom cut barnboard and non glare glass. It may sound a little expensive to some, but it was for Christmas gifts to my family members and I wanted everything perfect, which it was.

So I would advise you to bring the print along with you and stop in at a couple different shops.
What is important to me may not be to you.

James1995
12-Jul-2014, 07:41
I'll already have the picture, frame and matting I just need either them to make a new mat or trim the excess bleed. I watched a youtube video "how to frame your art" and on there it says it shouldn't cost more than 20 dollars.

Liquid Artist
12-Jul-2014, 09:14
Again that boils down to what you want.

Standard sized Matts can be cheap, and if your careful with a sharp exacto knife you should be able to modify one yourself.

A large part of my expense was the glass. You can look at it in most if not all types of light, and you will never see any reflection.
Whereas if you look at the glass in your frame, it will probably reflect in most if not all lights.
This may not be important to you, but for me it is.

However if it is important to you and your on a tight budget you can always try scrubbing a scrap piece of glass with different types of power soap and see what happens. Glass shops probably have piles of scraps they would give you.

I may be wrong, but to me it looks like non glare glass is standard glass with the surface very lightly scratched up.

James1995
12-Jul-2014, 12:20
The frames I bought already come with glass, all I need doing is for the bleed to be trimmed and for them to mat it for me, I want it to be right you know my first time the portraits were expensive so I don't want to do anything myself as such.