PDA

View Full Version : Sinar shutter

brucep
11-Jul-2014, 05:16
I,ve never actually seen one of these, and want to use one instead of a Packard shutter. Can anyone tell me if the shutter hole is always the same size and is the shutter release cable standard ?

Thanks
Bruce

Lachlan 717
11-Jul-2014, 05:34
The hole diameter is fixed and the cable IS NOT standard!!

Alan Gales
11-Jul-2014, 07:04
If you buy a Sinar Shutter make sure you get the Sinar cable release with it. The Sinar cable releases are terribly expensive new and very hard if not impossible to find on the used market by themselves.

Jerry Bodine
11-Jul-2014, 07:57
Also be aware that this shutter is used behind the lens, so the lens must be mounted in what's known as a DB mount so that the rear element does not protrude into the plane of the shutter's blades.

William Whitaker
11-Jul-2014, 08:24
Also be aware that this shutter is used behind the lens, so the lens must be mounted in what's known as a DB mount so that the rear element does not protrude into the plane of the shutter's blades.

A DB mount is not required. I've used several lenses in front of a Sinar/Copal shutter mounted on standard Sinar/Horseman lensboards. The DB mount adds convenience in that it links the aperture with an aperture control on the shutter. Nice if you have it, but not necessary. What is important with any lens mounting and the Sinar/Copal is that the rear cell of the lens sit forward enough so as not to interfere with the operation of the shutter. I recently sold a 36cm Heliar with just such a mounting. An extension collar was made to go between the lensboard and the mounting flange of the lens. The height of the collar was determined by the lens dimensions so that the rear element sits flush with the rear surface of the lensboard. Because of the diameter of the collar, slots were cut top and bottom to allow the lens retaining hardware to fully engage the lensboard.

http://wfwhitaker.com/forsale/36Heliar_08.jpg

I've had this done with a number of barrel lenses and S.K. Grimes is familiar with fabricating this kind of mounting. It does add to the cost of mounting, but is much cheaper by far than having each lens mounted in its own shutter. (In fact, I'm not even sure there is a shutter large enough for this Heliar, although a Betax #5 might fit.) This lens has been sold, but I wanted to share the mounting method.

A DB mount is certainly convenient, but don't be dissuaded from the Sinar/Copal shutter simply because your lenses are not DB-mounted.

Jerry Bodine
11-Jul-2014, 09:13
Will, I certainly agree with you that the DB mount isn't really required, and you've provided an excellent description of one such alternative. I've seen several threads here at times that illustrate various means of moving the lens forward on the board. It's unfortunate that I said the DB was required, simply because of my lack of personal experience with such schemes. BTW, what is that light-colored strip at the top of the lens extension in your pic?

Alan Gales
11-Jul-2014, 09:15
To add to what Will said, there is a way of cheating too. You can take a Sinar F standard with the Sinar shutter attached to it and place it between your two existing standards. Of course you will need two sets of bellows to do this.

Jerry Bodine
11-Jul-2014, 09:23
To add to what Will said, there is a way of cheating too. You can take a Sinar F standard with the Sinar shutter attached to it and place it between your two existing standards. Of course you will need two sets of bellows to do this.

Alan, I've wondered about that method as well, but is there not a possibility of vignetting with the shutter opening being farther away from the rear lens element?

Oren Grad
11-Jul-2014, 09:52
Alan, I've wondered about that method as well, but is there not a possibility of vignetting with the shutter opening being farther away from the rear lens element?

If you use a bag bellows between the front two standards you can get the rear of the lens pretty much as close to the shutter as you want. This does require some fussing and fiddling - it's better suited to a studio setup than to running around in the field.

Alan Gales
11-Jul-2014, 10:53

Like Oren says.

I own a Sinar P and got a good deal on a Sinar F outfit with Sinar Shutter. I kept what I wanted and parted out the rest. I played with the Sinar Shutter before I sold it. They are really neat and will even cock the shutter for you when you insert a film holder if you have the correct cable. All my lenses are in shutter so I didn't need it. I wish I could afford all the toys!

DrTang
11-Jul-2014, 11:10
(In fact, I'm not even sure there is a shutter large enough for this Heliar, although a Betax #5 might fit.)

a compound 5 will although I think it has to be the one with the tall ..what is it called? front skirt??

they come up - but are pretty pricey

DrTang
11-Jul-2014, 11:23
I bolted a Sinar lensboard to a camera lensboard - with spacers - then put the sinar shutter onto the sinar board, then a scavagened front standard onto the front side of the shutter.... then the sinar lensboard with the lens onto that

it's a giant frantenstein mess - but it works

Alan Gales
11-Jul-2014, 11:28
I bolted a Sinar lensboard to a camera lensboard - with spacers - then put the sinar shutter onto the sinar board, then a scavagened front standard onto the front side of the shutter.... then the sinar lensboard with the lens onto that

Sometimes the best photographer is the one that can solve problems. If it works it works! :cool:

When I was young I worked at a Venture store in the Camera and Sporting Goods department. Venture was similar to Target. An assistant store manager made this really nice display at the front of the store of little girl's white and pink Easter dresses. He wanted to take a polaroid of it to send to Central Office. When he took the photos they came out all washed out with the pink dresses looking white. He came back to me and asked me if I could do it. I went up to the front of the store and then to the men's restroom and grabbed some toilet paper to put over the flash to reduce the output. After a couple tries using various thicknesses I got the correct exposure and took the photos back to his office. He asked me how I did it and I just replied, "Toilet paper". ;)

ScottPhotoCo
11-Jul-2014, 12:52

Can you share a photo of this?

Lachlan 717
11-Jul-2014, 14:29
Perhaps an easier option is the shutter behind the front standard and a universal iris in front? This is what I do on my XPO and will do on the DIY 7x17" that is almost finished.

Problems with this set-up are a) finding this iris and b) price. Mind you, one Sinar-mounted iris will accept many lenses, amortising the cost...

brucep
14-Jul-2014, 11:33
Thanks everyone for the info.

Bruce