PDA

View Full Version : finding nude models???

stradibarrius
10-Jul-2014, 07:02
For those of you who have experience with nude photography, what is a good way to find nude models? I am always afraid that the woman will think I am a pervert.
I know I am not the only person who has at some point had to learn this "skill"

My wife refuses to model so I can't start there.

vinny
10-Jul-2014, 07:14
model mayem
https://www.google.com/search?q=nude+models&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=sb#channel=sb&q=finding+nude+models&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official

stradibarrius
10-Jul-2014, 07:48
don't you have to have a few images to submit to get "approved"
?

Scott Davis
10-Jul-2014, 07:57
Well, the best path to starting with a model is to take a class at an art school or university art program's continuing ed service. Then you can have a portfolio to show someone so they can see you're not taking quasi-gynecological photos for your own titillation. Or you might find a local camera club that will hire a model for a group shoot and join in that way. It's not ideal because you have to work around all these other photographers and sometimes your creativity is limited by the setting and/or others' needs, but it's better than nothing. It would also help to have a business card and a website that show your overall degree of professionalism.

DrTang
10-Jul-2014, 08:32
Whelp.. back when I was in college..or just out..it was pretty simple..some friend or friend of a friend was or knew a moody art studio co-ed that was into 'the art thing and not ashamed of her body'

then I got married

now..after the divorce, years later, I do find myself in the same situation.. I don't want to be seen as a GWC (guy with a camera)..even though..in reality I am just a GWBC (guy with a big camera) in that I'm not shooting for a magazine or whatever..just my own amusement

I think join Model Mayhem and search for models who will do nude..you will have to pay.. but you need something to show those emo studio art students down the road

jbenedict
10-Jul-2014, 08:58
Well, the best path to starting with a model is to take a class at an art school or university art program's continuing ed service. Then you can have a portfolio to show someone so they can see you're not taking quasi-gynecological photos for your own titillation. Or you might find a local camera club that will hire a model for a group shoot and join in that way. It's not ideal because you have to work around all these other photographers and sometimes your creativity is limited by the setting and/or others' needs, but it's better than nothing. It would also help to have a business card and a website that show your overall degree of professionalism.

Modeling for a camera club was how the famous Bettie Page got started. She worked many times and built up quite a portfolio for herself which helped her get more jobs.

If anyone is interested in Bettie Page, her photos and her life, there is a film on Netflix Online about her life from beginning to end. "Bettie Page Reveals All"

Review:

http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/bettie-page-reveals-all-2013

Scott Davis
10-Jul-2014, 09:58
Another thing about Model Mayhem - I have found it to be helpful in finding models, but I have also found some of the flakiest people on the planet through there. I would NOT recommend it for someone starting out who does not have experience working with models. More MM models have booked a date and time with me to not show up, or just dropped off the face of the earth in the middle of scheduling something than through any other source. The very best way to find models is to have artsy friends who enjoy it. They KNOW you're not perving on them instead of taking pictures.

AF-ULF
10-Jul-2014, 11:36
A good way to gain experience and to acquire a few images is to take a workshop. I took one with Kim Weston in California and it was quite good. (Its main focus was on platinum printing). There should be workshops in GA that you could take without spending a great deal of money.

I have hired quite a few models using Model Mayhem. As discussed above, the site is full of flakes, but it also has many hard working, professional models. You can do a search based on distance from your location and most recent activity. You don't want to waste your time looking at models that haven't visited the site in over a year. You can also post a casting call describing your shoot and compensation for interested models to respond. Read the FAQ section on the site so you can avoid no-nos. I've never had a model flake on a shoot, but I've had a few who did not respond to inquiries.

Scott Davis
10-Jul-2014, 11:54
Sadly I've had some flake even when cash compensation had been discussed and agreed upon prior to the shoot. And I've also found folks through there who showed up on time, were professional about it, and were willing to work for trade-for-prints. It all depends. I'm just saying it may not be the best venue to START from if you've never shot with a nude model before, or even a clothed model. Another good option would be to find someone in your area who has worked with models and get a reference from them.

Alan Gales
10-Jul-2014, 11:55
http://frankinstan.tumblr.com/

On Frank's site on the right it says ask me anything. Click on that and then ask Frank. He has shot plenty of models from Model Mahem and elsewhere and will give you straight up, practical advice. Just understand that he may post your question and his answer for others to see.

Richard Johnson
10-Jul-2014, 12:08
Contact this model, explain what you want, be polite, direct, and professional. Offer her $300 cash with a 50% deposit upfront, plus travel expenses from ATL inn exchange for an afternoon of "tasteful" nude photography. Have a safe shooting location arranged, even if it's only a motel room. Use a generic model release. Provide references, she won't abuse them. Follow her lead and ask for her advice and input. She is reliable, trustworthy, talented, bright... and not shy at all.

http://faitheikos.tumblr.com

Whatever you do, don't assume you can touch her or hit on her or there will be Hell to pay.

98% of Model Mayhem is worthless but you can tell who is in the successful and decent 2% by who else they work with, the quality of their photos, etc. The entry requirements are minimal and normal clothed portraits are fine to use as your portfolio.

Greg Miller
10-Jul-2014, 14:49
modelmayhem is a reasonable approach. There is no qualification process or fee. onemodelplace is another option. As others have said, a workshop is a great place to get started on a portfolio. Someone will get the models and cover some ground rules, and the models will be experienced. So all you have to do is give general guidance about your vision and then just shoot. Once you have a couple photos that you think are representative of your work, you can try local colleges. I have had good look putting up a notice in the college art/theater building requesting models for no pay. I include a photo that is representative of my work so anyone looking at the notice can see what I am about. I've obtained several models that way. One down side is that the model will have no experience, so you will invest a lot of time helping them pose. What an inexperienced model thinks is a good pose generally is not. So that takes time and energy but can work out.

Leigh
10-Jul-2014, 15:32
I tactic that has worked well for me...

The first one is the hardest to find.
When discussing the shoot with a candidate model, ask her to bring a friend with her to the shoot.

That will make her feel much more comfortable, and it also introduces you to another potential model.
Keep this up with every shoot, and pretty soon you have a nice list of phone numbers / email addresses.

I use ModelMayhem and have had good results.
Stick with models who classify themselves as "very experienced", and want cash only (no trades).
This will get you hooked up with real professional models who will probably teach you a lot.

- Leigh

Greg Miller
10-Jul-2014, 15:33
Just another thought. Models generally don't care how good or experienced you are. If you approach a model in a professional way (as opposed to a creepy way), then you should be OK. Just be upfront, say you are new to the genre, you are not looking for a date, and all should be good.

Drew Bedo
10-Jul-2014, 16:55
Every time I try nude photography I either catch a cold or get sun-burned!

Harold_4074
10-Jul-2014, 17:22
A few months ago, I went to the spring "Art of the Figure" exhibition put on by the local art society; on display was everything from life-size sculptures to miniature paintings but not a single silver-gelatin print that I can recall..Chatting with the club member in charge, I mentioned that my interests lay in the direction of large-format traditional photography. To my surprise, she said that the show committee was disappointed that none of the few "traditional" photographers did figure work.

I got the distinct impression that anyone with a decent grounding in LF and an interest in figure photography would find a supportive environment in the society and introduction to people who might be recruited as subjects, although possibly at the cost of having to teach a class or a put on demonstrations.

It might be worth checking to see if the situation is similar in your neighborhood.

Oh, and by the way: there really is a difference between a "model" (properly, a person representing someone else--think of Audrey Munson posing as the "Star Maiden") and a "subject" (someone of interest in his or her own right). Pointing this out sometimes makes it easier for an amateur to rationalize sitting for a portrait, and for all I know the same might also be true for figure work.

Tracy Storer
11-Jul-2014, 18:09
I'll second taking a workshop to get started, as you noted, Photographers do need to submit images for approval to have a profile on Model Mayhem, but those example / portfolio images need not be nudes. There are lots of professional models who are open to working with beginners and take direction well when you know what you are after. And as others have said, keep it 100% professional and it's all good.

Leigh
11-Jul-2014, 18:19
From talking to models and other shooters, it appears many of the ModelMayhem models will do nudes once they get to know you, but do not want to advertise that fact on the website.

One of the questions in the model's profile is Shoot Nudes (yes/no).

Just to emphasize what others have said: BE PROFESSIONAL. Many models earn their living this way.
Some models even state in their profile "This is a modeling site, not a dating service."

- Leigh

anglophone1
12-Jul-2014, 01:39
Alan- I had lost track of Frank since he was banned from LFF-his tumblr site is a joy!
Thanks
Clive

http://frankinstan.tumblr.com/

On Frank's site on the right it says ask me anything. Click on that and then ask Frank. He has shot plenty of models from Model Mahem and elsewhere and will give you straight up, practical advice. Just understand that he may post your question and his answer for others to see.

Alan Gales
12-Jul-2014, 10:20
Alan- I had lost track of Frank since he was banned from LFF-his tumblr site is a joy!
Thanks
Clive

You're very welcome, Clive!

Dan Dozer
12-Jul-2014, 11:45
I've been shooting primarily nude models for 8 - 9 years and have gotten pretty much all of my models on model mayhem. What everyone has said about flakes is true about the site - reason is that there are a lot of women on the site who aren't really serious about photography work. I think that they just want to tell their friends that they model. However, there are quite a number of models there who are extremely good fine art models who travel around the country on a full time basis. I don't really work with inexperienced models anymore and I normally pay the models work with. The big advantage of paying is that your work that you do is really only for your needs/purpose and you don't have to feel obligated about trying to do things that will also build the models portfolio. It is a good thing to give the models you work with digital copies of at least a couple of the best images you turn out, because it's just good marketing.

Model Mayhem - still the #1 site out there for models and where I recommend you start. However, it will take some time for you to sort through the glamour model wanna be's and the fine art models. I would be happy to give you references for a number of great models on Model Mayhem you might consider working with to start out.

One Model Place - most of the good models I work with have said that they have given up on OMP. I don't have any experience with that site other than to look it up on the internet.

Craigs list - I have only tried that once and it did turn out pretty well. However, remember that Craigs List is not a modelling site and it might be pretty hit and miss there. However, I have read some photographers on Model Mayhem say that they have good success on Craigs List. I just don't think many of the experienced fine art models frequent there for work.

Facebook - I hear more and more stories of good models now with facebook pages and do a lot of their marketing that way. However, I don't have experience with that method (I personally hate Facebook).

Model Society - this is new site that has popped up in the last couple of years and seems dedicated to fine art photographers and models. It doesn't seem to be a place for glamour type of models. You might try this site in addition to Model Mayhem. Many of the models there are also the top fine art models on Model Mayhem.

I strongly recommend that you "hire" an experienced fine art nude model to start with. That is what I did and they were a tremendous advantage when I started. There are some models who it seems are impossible to take a bad photograph of and it's great when you find them. Expect rates to be $50 - $100 per hour depending on where you are located in the country.

One last thing - work shops are good, but if you are 100% serious about wanting to do this type of work, consider heading to Monterey, CA and do a one-on-one with Kim Weston. He is an extremely experienced nude model photographer, is a great teacher, and the stories you will hear on the Weston legacy are worth way more than what the session with him will cost. I did a 2 day over a weekend with him a couple of years ago and I can't recommend anything any better.

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions on models and/or what it's like to work with nude models. I would be happy to share my experiences.

Hope this helps

Leigh
12-Jul-2014, 12:51
Model Society - this is new site that has popped up in the last couple of years and seems dedicated to fine art photographers and models.
I just visited that site for the first time. Lovely models, but a terrible site.

Specifically, there appears to be no way to select the models, other than just leafing through the Gallery.

The first model I looked at is in Brittany (France), and the second is in England.

They really need a function to select models by location and other traits, like the one at ModelMayhem.

- Leigh

stradibarrius
12-Jul-2014, 13:47
WOW, what a great response and very good info! Thank you.
For some reason Atlanta has a very poor traditional photography presence! I have frequented many of the metro photo clubs but even the ones with older members who use to shoot film have gone to digital. I shoot digital as well for my website and customer photos but I am just drawn to traditional film and enjoy the process.You would think that a city of 5 million would have more photographic organizations but I have tried for several years and not real luck.
But I completely understand about being professional and honest. I'm married and to old to be "trolling" for dates! You folks here will understand what many non-photographers may not. We can look at a nude body for the beauty of the form and curves without it being some sexual thing. For me, I find that the poses that are less revealing and so much more beautiful than those that are so suggestive. The is a book "New Erotic Photography" vol. 1, that has a shot on the cover that is so beautiful to my eye.

Again thanks for the suggestions and advice and remembering what it was like when you were trying to get started!!!

swmcl
14-Jul-2014, 00:56
Why don't the LF members get together and make a portfolio you can all share ! Then you'll all have similar credentials to get you started ... If it were a hardcopy then just post it to each other. Is that a bit communist? :-)

Scott Davis
14-Jul-2014, 09:21
Why don't the LF members get together and make a portfolio you can all share ! Then you'll all have similar credentials to get you started ... If it were a hardcopy then just post it to each other. Is that a bit communist? :-)

Several problems with that noble idea. One: the portfolio would not be representative of your own work exclusively, and therefore misleading to the model. What if someone contributes something to the book that while excellent, is edgy to the point of making your model uncomfortable? S/he now thinks you want him/her to do that same thing, and refuses to work with you. Or what if the work is just not up to the standard you want to represent as your own? Would you want to show a fine-art model some cheesy softcore when your work is more like Weston's? you'd be tarnished with guilt-by-association. Two: someone would have to be the volunteer coordinator to solicit, edit and produce said portfolio book. Trying to organize photographers makes herding cats look easy. Producing that book would require full-time work at a volunteer's salary.

Leigh
14-Jul-2014, 14:53
Why don't the LF members get together and make a portfolio you can all share !
Then you'll all have similar credentials to get you started ...
I suppose that depends critically on how you define "credentials".

When I show a prospective model some of my work, I usually say "This is what I do.".

Difficult to make that statement when the port contains work from many sources.

- Leigh

James Morris
14-Jul-2014, 18:23
Perhaps photographers who want to shoot nudes could get together and shoot each other.

Leigh
14-Jul-2014, 18:55
Perhaps photographers who want to shoot nudes could get together and shoot each other.
That goes back to the old joke...

Photog to model: "I'd like to shoot you in the nude."

Model to photog: "Take off your clothes if you want, but I won't."

- Leigh

Jim Jones
14-Jul-2014, 21:47
I suppose that depends critically on how you define "credentials".

When I show a prospective model some of my work, I usually say "This is what I do.".

Difficult to make that statement when the port contains work from many sources.

- Leigh

Yes, indeed. However, such a book can provide ideas upon which model and photographer might improvise.

Leigh
14-Jul-2014, 21:50
However, such a book can provide ideas upon which model and photographer might improvise.
Of course, you could use it as a "posing guide".

I've found the ones with line drawings rather than photos seem to be less intimidating.
When models view photos they invariably make comparisons with themselves, which is a distraction.

- Leigh

al olson
16-Jul-2014, 09:07
One of the local photographers simply runs an ad in the newspaper saying that he is looking for models for his figure photography workshop. He told me that it is not difficult getting models. Most are students from the nearby college. These girls like to take their clothes off. One model was a French lady who was on the faculty.

In the past I have used some of his models from prior workshops. Since they know me and my work, it works out quite well. On the other hand, at my age, if I ran an ad for figure models I would look like a dirty old man. It is easier to justify it if you are running a workshop.

stradibarrius
16-Jul-2014, 10:15
Are you having to pay the models or are you trading photos for modeling?

Leigh
16-Jul-2014, 10:27
I always pay the models, and get a signed model release. That keeps everything professional.
That also eliminates any problems / questions / issues about how I might use the photos in the future.

Girls who will do TF are usually aspiring models that need to enhance their portfolios.
If you do this, you sort of commit yourself to shooting what they want rather than what you want.

- Leigh

Richard Johnson
16-Jul-2014, 11:29

If you're good enough then you can have your choice and simply trade for jpgs. Sometimes they'll pay you although I wouldn't take their money.

DrTang
16-Jul-2014, 11:38
I just visited that site for the first time. Lovely models, but a terrible site.

Specifically, there appears to be no way to select the models, other than just leafing through the Gallery.

The first model I looked at is in Brittany (France), and the second is in England.

They really need a function to select models by location and other traits, like the one at ModelMayhem.

- Leigh

eh..looks like it's a portfolio site and not really for contacting/hiring models.. followers... gallery views... - stuff like that

Greg Miller
16-Jul-2014, 15:03
Depends on the model. Pro models will always require payment, unless you have a unique. sought after, style that will benefit their portfolios. I never pay inexperienced models, although for a poor starving student I might pay for gas and a sandwich. You do not necessarily have to commit in a TFP scenario to shoot what the model wants. If your portfolio is strong, they should be willing to shoot what you want. Inexperienced models simply need strong work in their portfolio; not work of a specific style that they may think they need.

You should also be sure to have the model complete a section 2257 form (that states that the model is of legal age). Not having that form signed by the model can expose you to risks that you do not want be exposed to (no pun intended).

Greg Miller
16-Jul-2014, 15:09
A good rule of thumb, like with dating, is whoever asks who out is the party that pays for the date. So if you contact a model and ask to shoot together, be prepared to pay. If a model contacts you about shooting (e.g. responding to a flyer on in an art program, or to your ModelMayem profile), then you should not pay. This is not 100% but is a good starting point. Also, in ModelMayhem you may find yourself being contacted by travelling model who are trying to fill out their day. Don't agree to pay them for a shoot unless their look appeals to you.

stradibarrius
16-Jul-2014, 15:38
I imagine that it varies by region but is there a ball park rate?

Richard Johnson
16-Jul-2014, 16:46
The experienced traveling models usually ask for $100 per hour, two hour minimum, cash, with a 50% non-refundable deposit made via PayPal. Some want a $300 minimum.

Estimates are that there are over 1000 freelance nude travel models crisscrossing the country. While most live hand to mouth, smart/careful/diligent ones can pull $100k in cash ;-p

Newbies may ask for that much and you can negotiate based on your instincts. The smart ones will shoot with good photographers in trade so they can build up a better portfolio so they can appeal to a better class and better paying photographers.

Someone with a lot of experience and natural beauty, like Tiana Hunter, http://www.modelmayhem.com/9675, probably deserves more than $100/hour but if your work is appealing even the best models will shoot in trade. http://www.modelmayhem.com/8001 Betcee is also very good. You might recognize a frequent poster from here as well: http://www.modelmayhem.com/749075.

Some are cold-hearted strippers looking for cash irregardless of quality, you want to avoid these ladies. You can usually tell because they won't have even looked at your work, they just want the money.

The model I recommended up above on a previous post would do right by you.... On that level $200 would get you an afternoon of patient shooting and dozens of excellent photos.

Dan Dozer
16-Jul-2014, 21:26
I don't agree about the 50% deposit with the experienced travelling models. If you have a webpage you can refer the model to and the model trusts you as a serious fine art photographer, you should not have to put a deposit down. I've worked with dozens of full time travelling nude models and have never had one ask for a deposit.

The going rate that these type of models ask for is normally $100 - $125 per hour. However, once you get a little experience, that isn't normally what you need to pay. I have never been turned down at $75 per hour from even the most experienced of models. You can also expect a little lower rate if you have longer sessions. Mine typically last 4 hours so they look at it as a half day rate. Also, I never ask a model her rates, I tell her what my budget can afford. That way, if she is happy with it, everyone wins.

StoneNYC
16-Jul-2014, 23:09
I haven't updated my MM in years, I've had more success with finding legitimate models thought Instagram haha.

That said I've shot with models from both.

And I agree the traveling ones generally charge about $100

If you're new to shooting nudes, try working with someone who's also inexperienced, be honest and tell them that. No reason to waste your time shooting the best model right off the batt... Use someone who sucks to practice on ;)

JWebb
17-Jul-2014, 06:02
See if you can find a workshop or even a Meet Up group in your area that promote a figure workshop as opposed to a glamour nude workshop. I know that when I 1st started, I was quite nervous and all the poses I had imagined went out the window, but watching other participants and how they interacted with the model gave me ideas and made me less self conscious. It also helped that the workshop was held in a large old building with plenty of natural light so we didn't have to light it with strobes that would necessitates pocket wizards or some other triggering device.

I think one of the most important aspects was having a very experienced model. The experienced model knows how her body moves and usually will have a number of poses that she knows will look good. Experienced models will also be comfortable being nude and in my case made the process of communicating and directing that much easier. I was not only new at shooting the figure but was also new to LF as well. If the model had been inexperienced or self conscious as well I'm not sure that the session would have been as enjoyable as it was. As it turned out I got some good images, one that still hangs in our home today 20 years later.

Those images from that 1st workshop were a start and it allowed me to show other models what I was looking for. I think that if they had not been as successful I would have had a much harder time attracting other models to work with me.

Regards