PDA

View Full Version : Found Old Ilford 4X5 Film with an Expiry Date of 1954.

DavidRobsonPhoto
7-Jul-2014, 18:26
Recently came upon san old box of Ilford H.P.3 Panchromatic 4x5 Film at an estate sale for $2.00. Internal film pack is un-open. I know its a stretch but any likelihood of this film being usable... 62 years young!117913

richardman
7-Jul-2014, 18:31
Yes!! I posted it in the June Portrait thread, but these images are from a 1952 pack of Super XX. If you want to sell them to me, I will pay $3 :-)

There are photoshop work and they look funky because I didn't know they are pack film and I cut the film in the dark tent more or less to size. Mostly less than more... Hack, one film was even backward!!

http://richardmanphoto.com/PICS/20140611-Scanned-361-Edit.jpg

http://richardmanphoto.com/PICS/20140611-Scanned-362.jpg

djdister
7-Jul-2014, 18:35
Do a film speed test with exposures at ISO 3, 12, 50 and 100, and pick a developer that works best with old film.

jbenedict
7-Jul-2014, 20:35
Photographer's Formulary sells a restrainer which is added to the developer to reduce fogging. Offhand, I can't remember the specific name of the chemical and which developer is known to do a good job with old film. Some have suggested HC-110 but I don't know the dilution...

I wish pack film were still available. It would make it so easy to carry about 50 shots out into the field. 48 shots is 3 16 shot packs. No changing bag needed either.

HP 3, huh? I guess the modern stuff must be 2 HPs better... ;)

Jeff

Leigh
7-Jul-2014, 20:39
The restrainer I have is called Benzotriazole. There may be others.

You add some to the developer to reduce fogging on old film.

- Leigh

StoneNYC
7-Jul-2014, 21:33
FYI I've found this rule to be VERY helpful in testing speed.

1 stop loss for every 10 years.

So... I would rate this at... EI 6 from the original ASA 400. That's six stops loss.

Being such a high speed film, I would probably shoot EI 6, EI 3, and EI 1.5 to cut through some of the fog.

But it's going to be very heavy fog.

richardman
7-Jul-2014, 22:27
I rated my "ISO 100" Super XX at about ISO 50 and it works pretty well, as you can see. So I wouldn't necessarily go overboard with 6 stops change.

Leigh
7-Jul-2014, 22:38
I suggest shooting a MacBeth color chart and interpreting the gray scale.

Over-expose by a couple of stops, then determine the film speed based on the closest patch to middle gray.

- Leigh

StoneNYC
8-Jul-2014, 04:11
I rated my "ISO 100" Super XX at about ISO 50 and it works pretty well, as you can see. So I wouldn't necessarily go overboard with 6 stops change.

Must have been stored fairly well over the years.

Also, the OP's is a faster film, you need to over expose it to compensate for the heavier base fog he/she will most likely have to deal with. One stop under on 60 year old high speed film is NOT enough, not even close, I don't care how well it was stored.

1947 Verichrome is the oldest I've ever shot and developed.

These are various images from various rolls... This was my first attempt using 116(or 616?) film and an old folder...

Another roll... 116(or 616 I forget)

StoneNYC
8-Jul-2014, 04:18
And finally a good roll which was of course a smaller format 127 but "newer" from the 1960's so made not on nitrate base but instead one a safety base...

So as you can see, I used the same techniques for all with different results depending on storage of the film. I did change the developer used, but in general I think the most significant difference was the age if the film and base fog which I overcame by over exposure.

Good luck OP, at least it's sheet film where you can test a sheet or two, unlike the rolls I had which basically you have to guess and hope it comes out for all the pictures.

jnantz
8-Jul-2014, 04:33
rockland colloid suggests using dektol for their emulsions because it restrains fog
you might consider doing bracketed exposures
( you can use your dark slide on your lens to block off the film in holder, like a test strip under your enlarger )
i'd bracket starting at about 50 and go down ... and if you use dektol use it 1:5 for about 5 mins,
ansco 130 even better, 1:6 for 6mins, it does well with aged film.

have fun!
john

DavidRobsonPhoto
8-Jul-2014, 08:24
Thanks for the help - much appreciated!

DavidRobsonPhoto
8-Jul-2014, 08:25
I am going to try that - will post pics when i have, thanks!

DavidRobsonPhoto
8-Jul-2014, 08:28
Thanks everyone for the suggestions - I will post pics after getting the right developer. All help is very much appreciated!

Jim Noel
8-Jul-2014, 13:32
The restrainer I have is called Benzotriazole. There may be others.

You add some to the developer to reduce fogging on old film.

- Leigh
Benzotriazole can do wonders with fog. Every one should keep it in their photochemical cabinet. It seems to keep forever.

Liquid Artist
8-Jul-2014, 20:59
I am looking forward to seeing your results.

Especially since I recently got a 120 roll of Kodak Verichrome, outdated in 1945.
I want some idea how to shoot and develop it, being more of a 1 chance to get it right system.
I am thinking of waiting until next year to shoot it, or possibly even 6 more years making it to 70 or 75 years outdated before shooting it.
I doubt that it's been stored right, but hope I'll get at least 1 decent photo from it.

StoneNYC
8-Jul-2014, 21:45
I am looking forward to seeing your results.

Especially since I recently got a 120 roll of Kodak Verichrome, outdated in 1945.
I want some idea how to shoot and develop it, being more of a 1 chance to get it right system.
I am thinking of waiting until next year to shoot it, or possibly even 6 more years making it to 70 or 75 years outdated before shooting it.
I doubt that it's been stored right, but hope I'll get at least 1 decent photo from it.

See my post shoot 1947 Verichrome above... But don't wait, it's nitrate based film, so it is unstable and could essentially spontaneously combust, even inside of a sealed container because it creates oxygen as it burns which fuels the fire.

So shoot it now, scan/print the negatives, and then burn then before you burn your house down...

This isn't a joke, this is what I did with mine...

DavidRobsonPhoto
9-Jul-2014, 06:58
Thanks for the help everyone - going to try to shoot with this film next week and will post results.