PDA

View Full Version : Flash Sync Problem

jonesp
7-Jul-2014, 15:22
Used my 14 inch Ektar for first time today. Everything works, except the flash sync. Put shutter in X mode, connected to Pocket Wizard via bi-post to pc connection, and nothing fires. Pocket Wizard's fire fine in test mode, but won't fire when connected to shutter. Bad bi-post perhaps?

Leigh
7-Jul-2014, 17:37
What shutter?

Sync contacts (internal) are usually pretty robust, since they were designed to handle 300-volt batteries.

- Leigh

Bob Salomon
7-Jul-2014, 18:00
Turn the cord over to see if it makes a difference when you reverse polarity.

jonesp
7-Jul-2014, 18:23
Leigh, it's an Ilex No 5 Universal Synchro.

jonesp
7-Jul-2014, 18:26
Bob, tried that too. Even tried a different cord (both brand new), nothing, so I have a feeling I may be sending this one to Fluotot's. Don't know if it matters, but the sync cord plugs directly in the Pocket Wizard cord, also tried it using an adapter.

Leigh
7-Jul-2014, 18:36
OK. The Ilex shutters I've worked on have simple metal contacts for the sync.

It sounds like either it's dirty or burned open.

- Leigh

BrianShaw
7-Jul-2014, 20:08
Did you cock both the shuitter and the synch?

jonesp
7-Jul-2014, 20:58
Sorry for the dumb questions, Brian, being new to this shutter, how is the sync cocked? Leigh, what do you mean by burned open?

Leigh
7-Jul-2014, 21:03
Leigh, what do you mean by burned open?
Older flashes (strobes) used 300-volt batteries.

Some component failures in the flash can cause excessive current to flow in the trigger circuit, burning the contacts.

- Leigh

Jac@stafford.net
8-Jul-2014, 04:46
Sorry for the dumb questions, Brian, being new to this shutter, how is the sync cocked?

There should be a synch select lever at about 8 o'clock, next to the bi-pole, when looking at the front of the lens. For electronic flash it must be set to zero.

Michael Graves
8-Jul-2014, 05:27
There should be a synch select lever at about 8 o'clock, next to the bi-pole, when looking at the front of the lens. For electronic flash it must be set to zero.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't that lever only affect the delay of the signal triggering the flash? It seems to me that even if set wrong, the flash would fire if the synch contacts were working.

Louis Pacilla
8-Jul-2014, 09:02
The Ilex Universal Synchro Shutter does NOT have to be cocked for flash sync. Only the Ilex Acme Synchro Shutter must be cocked to fire.

Jac@stafford.net
8-Jul-2014, 12:35
The Ilex Universal Synchro Shutter does NOT have to be cocked for flash sync. Only the Ilex Acme Synchro Shutter must be cocked to fire.

Good information. You are right.

To be clear I wrote nothing about having to cock it, only about setting it.

I agree that regardless of the delay setting it should still at least fire.

Both my Ilex #5 shutters are broken[emoji21]

BrianShaw
8-Jul-2014, 13:50
To be clear I wrote nothing about having to cock it, only about setting it.

No you didn't; that was me. I needed that clarification since I, erroneously, thought Ilex Universal had synch cocking lever also. Mea culpa.

Jac@stafford.net
8-Jul-2014, 15:03
No you didn't; that was me. I needed that clarification since I, erroneously, thought Ilex Universal had synch cocking lever also. Mea culpa.

Thanks. Issue resolved. We are good.

Tracy Storer
8-Jul-2014, 19:04
If the shutter has a synchronizer, it needs to be cocked. I have an Ilex 4 at SKG right now for CLA and synchronizer bypass surgery.
If the shutter in question has no synchronizer, then the shutter may be faulty assuming the cord and Wizard are functioning correctly.