PDA

View Full Version : Cezanne Elite

Clickwrr
5-Jul-2014, 18:11
Hi all, need some help if possible pls. Have an Elite, just setting up, and am having a connection problem. G5, 10.3.7, 4gb, 29160N scsi card, 1.2 driver (cannot find a 1.3beta yet). When the the computer is not connected to the scanner, it shows the scsi card in the info panel. When I connect the scanner (turned on first), sometimes the scsi card shows, sometimes not. Scanner is set to ID #0. Any suggestions?
Also, Server app will not start, shows error (-43): file missing. A log comes on the screen but is covered by another panel too quickly for me to read. Any idea of the file it is looking for, or possible problem?

many thanks in advance

Bruce

jon.oman
6-Jul-2014, 08:35
With scsi, you need to terminate the last connector in the chain on the cable. Have you done that? The terminator is a special plug.

coisasdavida
6-Jul-2014, 14:51
I would update do 10.3.9 before trying anything else.

Clickwrr
7-Jul-2014, 01:31
Yes, terminated

coisasdavida
7-Jul-2014, 12:34
One other thing that could work better in a G5 is OS 10.5 and a matching update from http://www.screen.co.jp/ga_dtp/en/download/#Scanner%20Software

Peter De Smidt
7-Jul-2014, 17:32
Screen has some info on various SCSI cards in the readme files for some of the updates on their download page.

Clickwrr
20-Jul-2014, 02:22
Hello again, sorry to take so long to get back to you all, but been a bit busy. I installed 10.5 as suggested, but Adaptec do not have a driver for that version for the 29160N card, so went back to 10.3 and the appropriate driver, and that has recognized the scanner (Elite). Installed CG 2.0 ok, however, on starting the Server, once again I get a "***Fatal error: (-43) File missing, could not start Server."
Any suggestions on the problem? Maybe a corrupt install file?
Many thanks
Bruce

angusparker
20-Jul-2014, 16:34
Hello again, sorry to take so long to get back to you all, but been a bit busy. I installed 10.5 as suggested, but Adaptec do not have a driver for that version for the 29160N card, so went back to 10.3 and the appropriate driver, and that has recognized the scanner (Elite). Installed CG 2.0 ok, however, on starting the Server, once again I get a "***Fatal error: (-43) File missing, could not start Server."
Any suggestions on the problem? Maybe a corrupt install file?
Many thanks
Bruce

Did you update the firmware? Seems that there are delicate combinations of OS, Firmware and Software that work with certain SCSI drivers - it all seems a mystery except where there are mentioned specific SCSI connectors on the update page. You might want to reach out to Screen customer support.

Christian-NRW
25-Jul-2014, 07:56
Hi,

I've been very busy as well, which is why I do not get around to look into this forum very often these days. However, I can probably help you. I am running OSX 10.3 with the 29160 and CG2EX on a G4 and had similar trouble before.

First, I am not sure which of the drivers for the Adaptec card I am currently using, but I think I am using the beta version:

http://www.adaptec.com/de-de/speed/mac/beta/apd29160x_x_v1_3beta1_hqx.htm

Most important thing that you should note from the documentation of the Color Genius Updates: all updates are incremental! You need them ALL and install them ONE AFTER THE OTHER. Problem is: update 2.11 is not available online and if you start with 2.04 as I did, you are lost. Luckily, I got the missing update via mail from Screen, but only in german. I am not sure it will help you, but I can upload it anyway in the next days.

Second, at least for german versions, the link to one update leads to a broken file in the english version of the website. I think it was 2.13. Use the japanese website to download all updates.

Third: do not update higher than advised! I think for OSX 10.3, the limit is 2.11 oder 2.13. Look into the respective readme files plz.

And fourth: many updte steps require a corresponding update of the firmware of the scanner. I updated to the latest version without having a problem with any of the Color Genius versions, so thats what I would do.

Best wishes,
Christian

Corran
25-Jul-2014, 10:50
I updated to the latest version without having a problem with any of the Color Genius versions, so thats what I would do.

Thank you for this info. I think I'm going to go back to CG1 for now on another HDD because I do not like a certain aspect of CG2. I was worried it wouldn't work due to a firmware update I did. Will have to check (open up the Mac and swap drives).

Christian-NRW
25-Jul-2014, 23:34
Thank you for this info. I think I'm going to go back to CG1 for now on another HDD because I do not like a certain aspect of CG2. I was worried it wouldn't work due to a firmware update I did. Will have to check (open up the Mac and swap drives).

Corran, SORRY, I meant with any version of CG 2!!!

Corran
25-Jul-2014, 23:44
Oops. I'll still give it a shot anyway.

coisasdavida
26-Jul-2014, 03:28
Clickwrr, have you tried opening the server log file straight from the folder into a text app to look at it?

Clickwrr
27-Jul-2014, 00:44
Hello everyone, thanks for the suggestions so far. Just stalled at the moment, as I have decided to go back to 10.5 with an Atto card, just waiting for that to arrive in a few days. Not being too familiar with the Macs, I find the 10.3.9 runs the G5 case fans at full speed the whole time, which is noisy as well as blowing a bit of dust around, whereas the 10.5 controls the fans. So, it will be 10.5, Atto and driver, and I'll try install again.

Clickwrr
3-Aug-2014, 03:40
Hello again: G5 with 10.5 installed, and atto UL4S scsi card. The atto has been flashed to latest firmware and recognizes the Elite; the mac sees the scanner in the info. However, cannot update firmware (current 2.01) to scanner as there appears to be no connection. Cannot update CG past 2.08, as there appears to be no file to bridge to 2.11, so I can go to 2.13. may need that German file from Christian. Other than that I seem to have hit a wall.

Clickwrr
9-Aug-2014, 22:05
Continuing on:
The computer sees the card and the scanner. I cannot update any drivers as the "Maintainer" program does not see the scanner. I can only assume it is a driver problem.
The CGV2 install log only mentions installation of 5000 drivers, so I am wondering if anyone knows if I can manually install the 5500 driver by extracting the driver from the CD (what file am I looking for?) and where it might go?
Many thanks in advance

Bruce