PDA

View Full Version : Best compendium solution for 72mm SA XL

swmcl
3-Jul-2014, 13:59
Hi,

I'm getting flare and wish for it to stop. Is the darkslide compendium enough?

I do have the Shen Hao compendium for my 5x7 camera. Its just that it is too small in aperture for the 72mm SA XL and other lenses. So many adverts for compendiums don't mention the round aperture size of the lens / filter it can fit over. I'd appreciate it if someone with first-hand experience can let me know where to go on this one please.

Other lenses means big f4.5 lenses on Ilex #5 shutters.

I guess the compendium itself doesn't need to stretch out very far really. I'm more interested in the diameter than the length.

Cheers,

Steve

ps. make that 'with centre filter'

Daniel Stone
6-Jul-2014, 15:10
I'd use a larger solution, one that mounts directly to the camera, not to the lens.

Frankly I'm a fan of the Arca style one, for their F-Line cameras:
http://www.arca-shop.de/en/Camera-Accessories/Compendium-/-Filter-holders/Compendium-lens-hood-4x5-incl.-Compendium-holder-with-rod

Yes, wildly expensive, but it's Arca. Arca is ALWAYS expensive :p. Anyhow, there are other similarly designed compendium hoods out there. Most are designed with monorail(aka larger lensboards than Technika sized) cameras in mind, so the size might be a bit of an issue. But using a rod to position the bellows(both length of extension, and how far forward they are positioned, so they're "just" outside of the images framing) is the most straightforward design I can see working. By it attaching to the front standard it will also allow you to use center filters much more easily, or C/C filters on the lens, if you want.

With my (former) Calumet C-1 8x10 camera, I made a flip-up compendium shade that allowed me enough space to continue to use a Lee filter holder and 4x4 C/C resin filters, WITHIN the confines of the bellows hood itself! It was a great solution, but in the end, it didn't allow for enough room to use 4x6 ND grad filters within the bellows hood. Combine that with moving down to 5x7(Linhof Tech V), I've settled on the Lee hood for my currently use, and it's working, but I'm looking at something similar to what I made for the Calumet(described above).

-Dan

swmcl
12-Aug-2014, 01:24
Just to post back with my findings ..

I eventually purchased a Toyo G model of compendium. This is the large compendium with a 125mm or so aperture diameter (the round bit - not the dimension of the square side...)

This required me to make a metal adapter to make it fit my camera which has taken some time.

Unfortunately after I got it all purchased and assembled and tested, I have found that when the compendium is fully compressed it is still too large for the 72mm SA XL and impinges on the image on 5x7. It'd be OK on 4x5.

So I'm back at square one to some extent. However I am very happy with the larger compendium because it will do well for any larger lens.

Oh well ... back to the drawing board ...

vinny
12-Aug-2014, 06:12
using that lens on 5x7 leaves very little room for shading and will require a really large hood as you have found. A french flag type shade may be a better option. Something like a flarebuster.

swmcl
12-Aug-2014, 14:25
OK thanks, so how do we mount a hotshoe on our cameras ?? Any advice on a kit ?

Cheers,

Kirk Gittings
12-Aug-2014, 14:30
Why is the Flarebuster any better than a dark slide? Looking at this picture, I suppose you could position it by looking at the ground glass, but frankly it's easy to position a dark slide by looking at the sun's reflection in the front glass and then barely blocking that with a DS. But I have been using just a DS for 30 plus years with no problem on lenses like a 47 XL and 65 and 90 on 4x5.

swmcl
13-Aug-2014, 19:30
Kirk, quite obviously, a flarebuster will attract blondes ...

It's not just about sensibilities, its about my image man !

Kirk Gittings
13-Aug-2014, 19:53
I understand the issue.....:)

swmcl
13-Aug-2014, 19:54
Seriously though,

I was lining it all up yesterday and you know what I found ? ...

The camera bed has a long flat piece of metal running the full length of the camera which holds all the bits of wood flat I guess. This piece is nice and shiny - thanks Shen Hao ... Guess what I got when under a porch with the lens shaded but the bed in the sun ? A huge flare from the shiny bed bit ! I've stuck some black electricians tape to it but I still see the flare from the shiny tape ...

For these wide angle lenses a camera that has the rear standard moving forward to a more fixed front standard would be the go. Then there would be very little out in front of the lens to reflect light back into the lens. At present, I have the front standard virtually right up into the rear standard with very little bellows movement with the 72mm SA XL. Previously, I had actually drilled some holes halfway along the bed to allow me to re-mount the rear standard halfway along the bed and this might be the way to go but it is a real pain in the field with little tiny screws to get lost. For now I'll just cover the bed with the dark cloth.

So this clearly also demonstrates why a compendium is needed. Flare comes in from the weirdest places sometimes and the only way to go is to eliminate all light from all angles that is not part of the picture. To this end I shall travel.

vinny
13-Aug-2014, 20:29
I have photographed my darkslide while trying to hold it in place, while holding a watch in the other hand, and while keeping the bugs off my neck. I only have two hands:)