PDA

View Full Version : Is Richard Ritter still making cameras?

StoneNYC
3-Jul-2014, 08:34
Hey guys, I emailed Richard about 3 weeks ago with an inquiry about purchasing from him, I figured 2 weeks is a good time to wait, then I called him lasts week and left a message on his voicemail.

I know that LF takes a while, but I figured by now I would have heard from him.

So does anyone know? Is he on an extended vacation?

Thanks,

~Stone

Scott Davis
3-Jul-2014, 09:05
Try calling again. You will eventually get through to him.

Bruce Barlow
3-Jul-2014, 09:47
Richard was out of town recently - a trip to Peters Valley and to visit his folks in Pa. I don't know if he's back yet.

He's definitely still making cameras in the woods of Vermont.

In fact, he's so far in the woods that he still has dialup internet. No kidding. Faster is not available (no cable, either, and no DSL). So, for him, email is akin to torture.

It's best to pick up the phone and call him. He'll respond once he's back.

Sal Santamaura
3-Jul-2014, 10:05
...In fact, he's so far in the woods that he still has dialup internet. No kidding. Faster is not available (no cable, either, and no DSL)...Is he shielded by hills from the southern sky? If not, there's always satellite Internet from HughesNet, etc. I'm not suggesting he should get it, but suspect he could if the cost were acceptable to him.

Personally, I envy anyone able to live relatively incommunicado in a rural environment. :D

RichardRitter
3-Jul-2014, 11:04
Email my have ended up in the spam folder. i get about 100 pieces of spam a day and good mail sometimes ends up there.
People who i have talked to about satellite say it great when the weather is good other then that dial up is the way to go. Mail by the post office always get to me.

You could PM me also.

Yes i am making camera how many do you want.

RichardRitter
3-Jul-2014, 11:10
Oh I will be back in VT by Sunday. Had to go and remind myself why I live where I do. Plus picking up Dag chemicals.

Richard Johnson
3-Jul-2014, 12:10
He wants twenty cameras but only after he gets his amazing tax refund check.

StoneNYC
3-Jul-2014, 12:57
Yay!

I have PMed you.

Enjoy your vacation!

I have to apologize but after checking my sent emails, it was NOT 3 weeks, but in fact only a week and a half, just felt longer...

Thanks everyone

StoneNYC
3-Jul-2014, 12:58
He wants twenty cameras but only after he gets his amazing tax refund check.

Yup! But just one.

Actually got the letter from the IRS today that I "messed up" and are adding another $100 to my check :)

So it should be here in about a week!

StoneNYC
3-Jul-2014, 13:00
I was originally looking at the Chamonix but I keep getting multiple PM's from people telling me I don't want a Chamonix and instead I want a Richard Ritter so... I owe it to myself to do my due diligence.

Alan Gales
3-Jul-2014, 13:12
Stone, since you are getting an extra $100.00 back you ought to splurge a little and buy this one.

https://www.badgergraphic.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=1652

StoneNYC
3-Jul-2014, 13:17
Stone, since you are getting an extra $100.00 back you ought to splurge a little and buy this one.

https://www.badgergraphic.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=1652

That's ONLY 5 lbs heavier than the Ritter and 3lbs heavier than the Chamonix and costs 3 times as much... Yea sounds like a deal! Lol!

RichardRitter
3-Jul-2014, 14:17
Want to come to VT and play with one for a day just bring film.
Will reply to PM in a day.

StoneNYC
3-Jul-2014, 14:29
Want to come to VT and play with one for a day just bring film.
Will reply to PM in a day.

Well I DO have to drive to Nova Scotia at the end of the month... So that's a worthwhile detour... Now I'll just have to buy some 8x10 film just for "testing" lol. Was planning to do my test work with ektascan x-ray film but since I'm not familiar with that I might have to bite the bullet.

Peter De Smidt
3-Jul-2014, 14:56
Are there any Ritter 8x10s in or around Wisconsin? I'd love to see one.

John Bowen
3-Jul-2014, 15:30
All I can say is I like RR's cameras so well I purchased 3 of them....... 7x17, 8x10 & 8x10 modified for 5x7. The best advice I could give ANYONE looking to purchase a LF camera is to give Richard a call and discuss your needs. His suggestions just may save you a LOT of $$.

Good luck with your purchase! Be sure to get the DVD manual!

Tin Can
3-Jul-2014, 16:12
I second, calling him directly with an open mind and a listening ear.

Then take his advice and be patient, I imagine midsummer may be his busy time, but as a fellow Northerner I always prefer to be outside during fair weather and save cabin work for foul.

All I can say is I like RR's cameras so well I purchased 3 of them....... 7x17, 8x10 & 8x10 modified for 5x7. The best advice I could give ANYONE looking to purchase a LF camera is to give Richard a call and discuss your needs. His suggestions just may save you a LOT of $$.

Good luck with your purchase! Be sure to get the DVD manual!

Peter De Smidt
3-Jul-2014, 17:05
Randy, do you have one of his cameras?

Tin Can
3-Jul-2014, 17:42
I have only the most important parts of a camera from Richard Ritter.

Last winter he modified my Deardorff SC11 with a new RR bail back and made me RR film holders. He made sure my RR back and RR holders have matching and correct 'T'.

His work with new bellows made my SC11 fresh and a joy to use.

All excellent craftsmanship and he has any further business I may need in wood view cameras.

I am considering a RR 11x14 field camera, but that may not be financially possible this year. It's the obvious choice as I already have RR holders!

Sh, don't tell Mr Ritter...

Randy, do you have one of his cameras?

Bruce Barlow
3-Jul-2014, 18:29
I love my RR 8x10. Anyone in or near Maine is welcome to come play with it. I also have an RR 5x7.