PDA

View Full Version : One question: How long are the back springs for an 11x14 view camera?

Curt
1-Jul-2014, 22:27
I pose this question to the brightest members of the group. Those who have or know how long the back springs are. I know they will vary according to age, manufacturer, and material so there is no one single right answer.

No anecdotal comments like "I once met a back spring at a bar and.…", or "I don't know but I have a buddy who saw one once". Just your direct answer as best as you can. Like, "My camera has — —" springs."

Thank you.

Also, I posted this on APUG. I am posting it here because someone always says over there, "Why don't you post it on the Large Format Forum stupid" "That's why it's called Large Format Forum!".

Rolling over laughing and crying!

RichardRitter
2-Jul-2014, 04:17
On the cameras I build I use springs that are about 6 inches long on the far end of the back, these have the curl for the pin. On the loading end of the holder the springs are 7 inches long. By sizing the springs this way they can be used on camera up to 20 x 24.

By putting a bail on the back, the springs can be made with a heaver load rating.

Curt
2-Jul-2014, 04:51
Thank you Richard,

It appears that you use two piece springs, moving them in or out depending on the film size. I have (two) one piece stainless steel springs and they are two inches too long. I suppose I could cut them or make new ones. These are new old stock springs for a camera which uses longer ones. I had a pair that were perfect but I cleaned house and now I can not find them. I ordered a new pair which turned out to be the longer set. I could use them on a 14x17 back though. It is looking like I will be making them. I appreciate your advice!

Curt