PDA

View Full Version : LED enlarger head for 5x7"

jose angel
1-Jul-2014, 04:46
After reading some posters`recommendations, I sent an email to Cemil at modernenlargerlamps@icloud.com asking for his E2 version (http://www.modernenlargerlamps.com/Modern_Enlarger_Lamps/Model_2e.html), to fit Omega 5x7" enlargers.

He answered with bad news... he has decided not to make 5x7" heads anymore. So I understand he also stopped making custom LED heads.

I wonder why... but well, for whatever the reason he decided to do so. (BTW, he should modify the web site, it still shows the head as available).

Does anyone know any other similar manufacturer? I`ve found a place where I could buy a "compatible" LED source (Cree LED units too), even way cheaper, but with the drawback that I`ll have to largely modify the housing... not a problem at all, but if someone can advice me something better, I`d be grateful.

jose angel
3-Jul-2014, 11:16
Ok, problem solved. I have finally bought the LED lamp, at the end the adaptation work has been easier than expected.
Funny, the lamp is hidden inside the enlarger`s filter drawer/lamp holder part, looks like there is no lamp at all! It looks great, hope it works equally good.
I`ll now adjust the enlarger and start some testing. Thanks for reading.

photoevangelist
4-Jul-2014, 00:17
Jose, I tried asking Cemil about the model 3, variable contrast LED head. He no longer offers that one either. Are the Model 1a and 2 still available? I'd like to hear more about what you did for your adaptation.

jose angel
4-Jul-2014, 01:57
He didn`t mentioned nothing about the other models, I understand they are available and/or still in production ("I’m sorry but I will not be making any more 5x7 lamp. Thank you for your email. Cemil Purut").

I had several routes to make a LED head (I`m so happy using LED for my medium format enlargers since one year ago or so, they work great), so I first opted for the easiest one, with an organic LED type lamp.
I`m still in the testing process (the fitting was quite easy, although I haven`t sealed the box to make it light tight, I want to test it before to know if it really works).

For sure this is not the ^^perfect^^ light source, but in my experience, I don`t really need a source to be perfect, e.g. with VC papers with perfect steps from #0 to #5 contrast grades; I can use under the lens filters, and usually I don`t need the complete contrast range (for years, my favorites have been fixed contrast #2 and #3 bromide papers). I still keep the original light sources (halogen and tungsten), but I have never used them again since I have the LEDs.

Let me to finish the test and will let know you if it works. BTW, right now I have spent around $30 on it :)

jose angel
4-Jul-2014, 02:35
Photevangelist, I`ve sent you a PM.

mdarnton
4-Jul-2014, 05:17
I'm missing something here? If he's no longer making 5x7 sources, did you buy something else?), or did he have some left? $30 sounds amazingly cheap.

jose angel
4-Jul-2014, 05:38
Mdarnton, since he is not making 5x7" heads anymore, I have had to buy some parts (hardware store) to make my own one. Thanks God LED products start to be common, even for home appliances, so I bough one of these (39EUR), and have it already adapted to fit my E3.
(I`m sorry; I actually spent near $50, I applied the conversion rates in the opposite way... anyway, still a ridiculous amount for a 5x7" LED head).

evan clarke
4-Jul-2014, 06:55
For 5x7' It's easier than that. I have a Lightpad 920 which gives much illumimation and even light..$69 at Amazon

Tin Can
4-Jul-2014, 08:13
You have convinced Evan, I am going to try it YOUR way! :)

The 920 is now $60 Amazon Prime.

Being an traditionist in style, it will fit inside my 5X7 Elwood with the dome on.

Thanks for the tip!

For 5x7' It's easier than that. I have a Lightpad 920 which gives much illumimation and even light..$69 at Amazon

jose angel
4-Jul-2014, 09:42
FWIW, neither of the Lightpads fit the E3. They are too long for the housing.

photoevangelist
7-Jul-2014, 00:50
Oh this is nice. I'm interested in what you all find out with the 920.

Ginette
7-Jul-2014, 07:19
FWIW, neither of the Lightpads fit the E3. They are too long for the housing.

Did someone try to open theses units and remove frame to keep only the illuminated section and custom fit into enlargers.
I will be interested to enter theses units in the condensers housing of the Durst 138 (slot is W 195mm, D 215mm and H 54mm) and Durst 184 (slot is W 364mm, D 362mm, H 178mm)
Thanks for the info.

203Ektar
7-Jul-2014, 10:15
Randy,

Could let us know how this works out? I want to do the same thing with my wooden 5x7 Elwood.

Thanks,

Mike Sullivan

You have convinced Evan, I am going to try it YOUR way! :)

The 920 is now $60 Amazon Prime.

Being an traditionist in style, it will fit inside my 5X7 Elwood with the dome on.

Thanks for the tip!

Tin Can
7-Jul-2014, 11:22
Evan, is the expert on these.

I will be trying a 920 in the coming months, not days. It's on my list.

Come on experimenters, it's only $60 and if you don't like it, it is a great lightbox for viewing negs or exhibiting slides.

Heck, Amazon even allows easy returns.

Jerry Bodine
7-Jul-2014, 12:42
Just curious. If one LED quits (defective?), can it be easily replaced? Or, heck, for that price just buy a whole new unit! And can the heat generated be assumed to be small (probably yes)?

jbmia
26-Jan-2015, 07:26
Long time lurker guys.. I realize this is an old thread, but having just picked up a Durst 138s, I'm curious what you're experiences were with respect to the lightpad.. Particularly in terms of spectrum and filters, etc... Results when used in multigrade printing.. thanks for any feedback.

scheinfluger_77
26-Jan-2015, 12:36
Evan, is the expert on these.

I will be trying a 920 in the coming months, not days. It's on my list.

Come on experimenters, it's only $60 and if you don't like it, it is a great lightbox for viewing negs or exhibiting slides.

Heck, Amazon even allows easy returns.

Randy have you tried this yet? Aside from adaptation, is the light source workable and timeable?

Tin Can
26-Jan-2015, 12:47
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?110376-Hacking-8x10-and-11x14-enlarger-LED-head

Robert Langham
30-Jan-2015, 09:12
I've got one of his last 5X7 adapted to an Omega 5X7 enlarger. Warm LEDs. Prints very well with filters. Tried to get him to put LEDs in an otherwise useless Zone VI Type II head, but no deal. Anyone got an idea for who might do that? The Zone Vi might actually be useful with warm LEDs!

Jim C.
30-Jan-2015, 11:45
I've been looking at the Pixi light panels that are available at the Home Depot -
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Pixi-1-ft-x-1-ft-90-130-Volt-Edge-Lit-LED-FlatLight-Luminaire-FLT11R27MD0811/203599914
A bit cheaper than the Light Pad and 2700K, 1000 lumens.

Robert Langham
1-Mar-2015, 17:03
Jim C: Did it work? I'm still using Cemil's head on my Omega 5X7. Pretty happy with it, but would love to get Zone VI T2 working again.

Alan Curtis
2-Mar-2015, 06:39
Robert
If you are interested I built a simple bracket for my Zone VI so I could use Cemil's VC lamp. It should work on yours.

Robert Langham
2-Mar-2015, 08:15
Well, heck. That WOULD work, though Cemil's head has a special adaptor he built to go on my Omega E5 that is down low. Just a gravity attachment. Looks like I could put another bracket like yours and switch it back and forth. Wish he would get back into business. Be nice to have two enlargers with same color enlarging illumination.

I've thought about rigging up a lightpad, but looks to me like taking out the tubing and going with LEDs in a standard Zone VI head would be the way to go. Maybe a lightpad could be configured in there.

Dang these enlargers!