PDA

View Full Version : opaque paint? or other covering material?

stawastawa
30-Jun-2014, 09:14
I am throwing around ideas for lightproofing and wondering if there is a go to paint or a thin wrapping material (like flocking paper but looking for any other similar products) that would do well in blocking out light. Does spray paint build up enough?

I am thinking about covering glass containers, tupperware, those clear film canisters, clear tubing maybe. all very early stages...

any ideas?

Jmarmck
30-Jun-2014, 10:25
What is that goo they advertise to seal screen doors on boat bottoms?

Tin Can
30-Jun-2014, 15:05
I have coated imense windowscreen scuptures with gallons of this stuff here (http://www.amazon.com/Rubberized-Plastic-Coating-Black-Coating/dp/B000VS2HMK).
I got it very cheaply in bulk. Great stuff and really is like rubber. Lasts forever, even in sun. Comes in many colors. Paintable. Silicone-like.

Jmarmck
30-Jun-2014, 15:45
Does it float? Now there is an idea.

William Whitaker
30-Jun-2014, 18:03
aluminum foil

el french
1-Jul-2014, 21:38
You may not find one thing that will work on glass, plastic, wood, and metal. Surface preparation will be key to getting any surface film to stick. I'd start by asking 3M what they recommend.

AtlantaTerry
20-Jul-2014, 01:21
Just this weekend I affixed a cheap large magnifying glass from Dollar Tree to a Cambo lens board that I bought cheap because someone drilled a Copal #3 hole incorrectly (off center). I am trying to make a soft focus lens. To affix the lens to the lens board I used Shoe Goo which is made to repair sneakers and other kinds of shoes where the sole has become loose. I figured something like that would be both strong and flexible. Shoe Goo is black and dense so it easily blocks light.

One thing I discovered in using it, the stuff is VERY stringy so be careful of thin webs of sticky goo. :eek:

AtlantaTerry
20-Jul-2014, 01:24
Other products I have read about that are black so block light:
› items to repair skin divers' Neoprene suits
› Flexible Electrical Tape (most hardware stores)
› 3M makes a black product some folks say is located in the insulation departments of hardware stores
(but I can't find it)