PDA

View Full Version : Some Images made with a Non Soft Focus Pinkham & Smith Series III Orthoplan lens

Jim Galli
29-Jun-2014, 20:17
A non-catalogued Pinkham & Smith lens that we believe is probably just a re-branded lens from one of the big optical companies 110 years ago.

Read the story HERE (http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com/LostLincolns/LostLincolns.html). If you have information about this lens, please fill in what you know.

Pics done on Aerial Recon Plus X with my 5X7 top handle Speedy.

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com/LostLincolns/LostLincolns.html

goamules
30-Jun-2014, 12:05
Son you gonna drive me to drinkin if you don't stop shooting these hot rod Lincolns.

Jim Galli
30-Jun-2014, 12:08
Son you gonna drive me to drinkin if you don't stop shooting these hot rod Lincolns.

Those of you born after the 1950's, I could 'splain that, but I won't.

Vincent Pidone
30-Jun-2014, 14:54
You didn't mention the electric rear window....

blueribbontea
1-Jul-2014, 11:55
Those of you born after the 1950's, I could 'splain that, but I won't.

That was a Spokane saying you know...

Jim Galli
1-Jul-2014, 12:48
That was a Spokane saying you know...

You've got some bad boy hot rodders to this day up in that country. Thee Inland Emperors car club could probably re-stage the race up Lewiston hill and make it look like 1955 all day long.

Jody_S
1-Jul-2014, 17:53
The lens cell looks a lot like my Berthiot Eurygraphe.

Jim Galli
1-Jul-2014, 18:21
OK, admittedly I'm just making stuff up, but I'm getting more convinced that this is a Wollensak product. I have a Wollensak version of the same style lens, 2-2 + 2-2 and the machining is similar on the barrel that the glass is actually contained in, plus the wollensak serial number is 7263 and the one in question that Vincent has is 7101 or something close. Both 4 digit in the 7 thousands.

The barrel with aperture sure doesn't look like typical Wollensak, but there may be other reasons we'll never know why that is.

Furthermore, Wollensak is the only maker that ever made a 2-2 + 2-2 in any numbers. Busch had a patent on something like that but no evidence they ever built them. Wolly used that arrangement quite a bit. Their Series I f6.3 is what I think this is. Their f9.5 Extra Wide Angle Series III is also 2-2 + 2-2.