PDA

View Full Version : Flow rate for Gravity Works film washer

bigdog
19-Jun-2014, 14:39
I just scored another Craigslist haul, and the "prize" was a Gravity Works 4x5 film washer. It needed a new hose, but that was easy enough.

Those of you that have/had one, what is a good flow rate? I have been using a Watair washer at a flow rate that just causes bubbles. (We're taking roll film on reels here.) When I turn the water on to the same rate as I had to the Watair, it takes the GW about 2 minutes to complete a cycle of fill and dump. Sound about right?

Thanks.

Doremus Scudder
20-Jun-2014, 07:51
Sounds fine for short-time film washing (10-15 minutes).

I usually wash longer because I don't use a wash aid (min. 30 min.) and often use a modified "fill and dump" regime with the gravity works. I let it go through three or four initial cycles, then turn off the water and let the film soak, then turn the water back on for a few cycles, etc. through five cycles, with the soak times getting progressively longer. Only really necessary if you need/wish to save water. The Gravity Works is a bit of a water hog.

Best,

Doremus

tgtaylor
20-Jun-2014, 07:56
If you don't use an acid stop, consider using TF-5 as a fix. It only requires up to 5 minutes of wash and doesn't require HCA.

Thomas

David Lindquist
20-Jun-2014, 09:04
From the directions that came with my Gravity Works film washer: ""Turn on the water so that the washer fills in approximately 30 seconds. At this point the siphon will catch and drain the washer in 30 seconds. This will give a complete cycle ever (sic) minute." They say it is important that the washer be level. I have some little plastic wedge thingys I use for that. And they suggest that at the end of the washing time that you let the washer fill, turn off the water before it "flushes" (my term, the whole action of this washer sort of reminds me of a toilet), add your Photo Flo then turn the water back on for one more flush. They say this helps keep the washer clean and free of water deposits. And finally they say that with sheet film one should make sure that the emulsion side is facing in one direction. I don't see, and they don't say, why it matters.
David

Ginette
20-Jun-2014, 09:41
pdf for the washer http://www.rangeoflightphotography.com/Technical%20Manuals/Gravity%20Works%20AFW45%20Film%20Washer.pdf

bigdog
20-Jun-2014, 10:09
From the directions that came with my Gravity Works film washer: ""Turn on the water so that the washer fills in approximately 30 seconds. At this point the siphon will catch and drain the washer in 30 seconds. This will give a complete cycle ever (sic) minute." They say it is important that the washer be level. I have some little plastic wedge thingys I use for that. And they suggest that at the end of the washing time that you let the washer fill, turn off the water before it "flushes" (my term, the whole action of this washer sort of reminds me of a toilet), add your Photo Flo then turn the water back on for one more flush. They say this helps keep the washer clean and free of water deposits. And finally they say that with sheet film one should make sure that the emulsion side is facing in one direction. I don't see, and they don't say, why it matters.
David

pdf for the washer http://www.rangeoflightphotography.com/Technical%20Manuals/Gravity%20Works%20AFW45%20Film%20Washer.pdf

Thanks to both! :)

So help me, I did search for this first! :rolleyes: