PDA

View Full Version : Ready to give my gimpy self a bit of a workout at Glacier Point...

John Kasaian
16-Jun-2014, 12:45
...with the wee little 5x7---no sense in getting crazy, is there?
I'm thinking the Panorama Trail one way (down hill) would be a good first "real" hike to try and plenty of good photo ops along the way. Here's my question.
For the best light and clouds, I'm thinking maybe taking the last 1:30 pm bus up from the Lodge and starting down hill when the clouds start to develop .Or perhaps, alternatively, driving to Glacier Point at zero dark 30 and hiking down to the valley by dawn's early light, then catching the bus back in the afternoon. It's been a long time since I hiked the Panorama Trail so I thought I'd tap the experts here for suggestions.
If gimpy me can hang together, I'll likely do both hikes ---and many others--- over the summer, but I need to decide on which one to do first.

Michael Mutmansky
17-Jun-2014, 16:51
Your knees ready for the pounding going down to the valley? Specially with the added weight of a camera and tripod.

I can't offer advice as the trails all seem reasonably easy to me as a transplant from Colorado (where the elevation is typically much higher).

Just want to make sure that you had considered the knees. The Mist Trail section may be very hard on the knees (big stone steps), but you can skip around that part I think. You'll have to look on a map to find the alternate for that portion.

Likely to be warm in the afternoon, but the light may be better depending on which way the camera is pointing. Up-valley will be better in the PM for the more traditional landscape image.

---Michael

ROL
17-Jun-2014, 17:47
I used to run (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?90249-Landscape-hikers-%96-%9310-essentials%94-or-not&p=1138923#post1138923) this trail (e.g., a 'loop' starting at the bottom of the 4 mile trail, ending at Happy Isles) weekly many years ago. In general, I'm more of an afternoon light shooter for the reasons you mention, if convection is imminent. But the trail will dive into Illilouette Creek after a couple of miles, and you will be descending beyond any visible high country fair weather cumulus in any case, reversing both your, as well as the light's, direction. From there you traverse over Panorana Point with unusual views to Yosemite Falls and the North Rim, before heading down the falls of the Merced. So, I don't feel time of day will be particularly important for the reasons you state of preference. You'll be in too deep by that time, and except at midday will be dealing with deep shadows from the narrowing descent. Frankly, if best light and clouds are paramount, I'd hike slowly down the 4 mile trail, where the views are mostly open both directions, beginning about 3 PM, or come up from Happy Isles with the rest of the crowd. That's an easier hike anyway, with same elevation descent, if testing your legs. Shuttlebus schedules tend to be incompatible with fully visualized photography – better to bring along a shuttle bunny for your vehicle. BTW, my 5x7 pack weighs 40 lbs. and the only way my arthritic knees can carry it these days is weakly.

John Kasaian
23-Jun-2014, 16:01
I used to run (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?90249-Landscape-hikers-%96-%9310-essentials%94-or-not&p=1138923#post1138923) this trail (e.g., a 'loop' starting at the bottom of the 4 mile trail, ending at Happy Isles) weekly many years ago. In general, I'm more of an afternoon light shooter for the reasons you mention, if convection is imminent. But the trail will dive into Illilouette Creek after a couple of miles, and you will be descending beyond any visible high country fair weather cumulus in any case, reversing both your, as well as the light's, direction. From there you traverse over Panorana Point with unusual views to Yosemite Falls and the North Rim, before heading down the falls of the Merced. So, I don't feel time of day will be particularly important for the reasons you state of preference. You'll be in too deep by that time, and except at midday will be dealing with deep shadows from the narrowing descent. Frankly, if best light and clouds are paramount, I'd hike slowly down the 4 mile trail, where the views are mostly open both directions, beginning about 3 PM, or come up from Happy Isles with the rest of the crowd. That's an easier hike anyway, with same elevation descent, if testing your legs. Shuttlebus schedules tend to be incompatible with fully visualized photography – better to bring along a shuttle bunny for your vehicle. BTW, my 5x7 pack weighs 40 lbs. and the only way my arthritic knees can carry it these days is weakly.
I've been spending a lot of time at the gym trying to get the strength back in my calves, knees, and ankles. Alas this will be a hike I'll have to make by myself (if it is even possible to be anywhere in Yosemite Valley by "ones self" during the height of the tourist season! LOL!)

ericpmoss
25-Jun-2014, 20:49
Everyone is different, of course, but I only found one vista on Panorama that did much for me. OTOH, I *really* liked it (see https://www.flickr.com/photos/27163343@N00/6223065663/ for an amateur version of it). Same for 4-mile trail. Next time, I'd start at Glacier and head on Pohono trail past Sentinel Dome, Taft Point, Dewey Point, etc toward the Wawona tunnel. Hardly anyone goes there, so take a cell phone or whatever in case you sprain an ankle. Hitch from the tunnel back. Maybe you can park there and catch the Glacier Point shuttle?

John Kasaian
26-Jun-2014, 18:39
Everyone is different, of course, but I only found one vista on Panorama that did much for me. OTOH, I *really* liked it (see https://www.flickr.com/photos/27163343@N00/6223065663/ for an amateur version of it). Same for 4-mile trail. Next time, I'd start at Glacier and head on Pohono trail past Sentinel Dome, Taft Point, Dewey Point, etc toward the Wawona tunnel. Hardly anyone goes there, so take a cell phone or whatever in case you sprain an ankle. Hitch from the tunnel back. Maybe you can park there and catch the Glacier Point shuttle?
Actually I've always wanted to descend into the valley on the old road. You can still see part of it where it would almost have joined the new road between Bridalveil Falls and the Tunnel View parking lot out. But not this trip.

John Kasaian
27-Jun-2014, 07:47
Well, it was a grand day in Yosemite Valley yesterday with rain in the AM and whisps of low clouds for most of the rest of the day.
I need to get back to the gym and build up my muscles more before I try anything like this again.
One photo I would have loved to get, but couldn't (my knees weren't up for scrambling yet) so I'll share it with you guys---Bridalveil Falls are a trickle and the rocks are pretty dry up to the pool at the base of the falls. I thought it would make for a cool abstract to shoot looking nearly straight up the granite from the base of the falls with a handheld Speeder using the sports finder as I didn't think a tripod would be practical on those boulders.
Spending time with my 16 year old daughter in YNP more than made up for my dismal physical performance though.
BTW the crowds weren't too bad! I think because schools are still just getting out for summer is why, although weekends are probably a circus.

Drew Wiley
27-Jun-2014, 08:33
The old road, if your're referring to the part that followed the original horse and buggy route prior to the tunnel, was where Carleton Watkins took some of his very finest views of the Valley. But Fiske did so too. I have yet to trace it, since I rarely shoot around the Valley, even though I driven right thru there countless times, basically commuting between hikes on the East Side and my place on the San Joaquin, via the South Entrance. Ferdinand used to let me thru free if I hauled park
pamphlets between his Tioga entrance and the South Entrance. I don't know why he had the surplus of them way up there, but he did. Now I get thru free with my geezer pass. But that route should constitute a little less harsh downhill grade for your knees as you still try to build them up.

ROL
27-Jun-2014, 09:05
FWIW, the Old Road (from Wowona) used to be an annual hike for the local chapter of the Sierra Club. Because of a century or more of overgrowth, I don't believe the views are now what they once were in the vintage photos. A quick hike up to Old Inspiraton Point, along parts of the Old Road will give one a taste of that.

…and Drew, knowing Ferdinand as I did, I'm not buying it that he trusted a non-Park employee with Park materials or that he ever let anyone through without a pass! :D

Drew Wiley
27-Jun-2014, 11:01
OK... here's your options: A) Call me an outright liar, and imply the name "Ferdinand" just popped up randomly from watching some kid's cartoon with a bull in it.
B) surmise that I've been traveling over Tioga since I was an infant - with my dad driving with his knees while loading his pipe, just to scare the hell out of certain
passengers in that station wagon (also true - though he reserved the Million Dollar Mile for the ultimate version of that stunt - IF you even know where that is!),
and that in my own adult life I had a nice pickup bed without much in it which Ferdinand found convenient at times for all those "don't feed the bears and this week
in Yosemite - hold your nose around Camp IV brochures".

Drew Wiley
27-Jun-2014, 11:28
... Of course, Ferdinand didn't just let me thru the park for free just any ole time, as if we were buddies. Only if I was being a courier for a lot of paper.

ROL
27-Jun-2014, 11:29
Pictures Drew, pictures…:D

…but come to think of it, I do have to amend my comment about Ferdinand not letting anyone through without a pass. I once went through with the cardiac surgeon who saved his life and performed his bypasses. When he recognized Tom, he waved us through, but I think he'd already seen the good doctor reaching for his pass anyway.

Drew Wiley
27-Jun-2014, 11:57
I'd have to see if I know anyone anymore who has a key to the Million Dollar Mile. It's actually about seven miles long, and would probably cost a hundred million dollars a mile today to blast. Allegedly one of my old climbing buddies has moved back to that little company town after retiring from the Forest Service in Montana.
When another pal just got his drivers license and smuggled a key, when we were both 16, his dad just stopped us at the driveway and got awful suspicious about
the 600 ft of manila rope in the pickup bed. We had our sights on a huge canyon wall we nicknamed "The Stove" because it resembled the front of a big cast iron
kitchen stove door. The rock is so rotten that it has probably never attracted any real rock climbers like yourself. And we would probably have gotten killed - if we
didn't drown first trying to ford the river. I a number of miles downstream from Mammoth Pool. I walked a bit of the road not a few years ago. But I haven't done
much otherwise ever since I four-wheeled my dad all through his favorite haunts in his early 90's, before we moved him to the coast to key an eye on him. The
favorite trick was to take some "flatlanders" for a moonlight drive on that road in the back of a pickup, edge right up to the cliff (and it was a narrow one lane road
to begin with) - pick up a rock in the truck bed and casually toss it over the side.... then starting counting.................splooooosh. About that time people would
try peeping over the side of the truck and trying to spot the water way way down there in the moonlight, and start getting real nervous about the ride back.
Typcial hillbilly humor. The higher road, above the cliffs, is a decent Forest Service road open to the public except in winter - it follows the old SJ&E railroad track
between Jose Basin and Big Creek, below Huntington. Excellent views of Shuteye and Eagle Beaks from that road, and upcanyon to the Ritter Range; but no views
straight down into the gorge.

Drew Wiley
27-Jun-2014, 12:26
... the school bus that ran the Million Dollar mile was the one I took to school, though I was the last kid on board, from lower down the canyon. It was made as a
"bobtail" - esp short to take those one-lane hairpin turns up and down the steep canyon, and was a four-house round trip drive for the bus driver each way. The
most spectacular set of waterfalls is not visible from any road, though one or two of them can be seen cross-canyon. The rock is rotten because the later stages
of Pleistocene glaciation reached only slightly below Mammoth Pool, not that far down, where exposure to the elements has been tens of thousand of years longer.
There are a lot more intrusions into that lower granite too, and they're not of the hard andesitic variety. I've got a customer camped up around Shuteye climbing
right now, and you're no doubt familiar with the overhanging Eagle Beaks toward one side - but I'd love to drive that upper road again with a very long lens on a
hot August afternoon - when massive thunderheads tend to collect at the bottleneck to the San Joaquin basin right over Shuteye. Maybe someday, maybe not.
Sure wouldn't want to do it until I fix the air conditioner in the truck. Scheming right now how to get over to Wyoming with that damn thing only halfway working.
Some night driving, for sure, and camping high in between. Fix it on next year's budget. Spent enough on the cars this round already.

John Kasaian
27-Jun-2014, 13:25
It will be one more year until I get my own geezer park pass!:o

Leszek Vogt
27-Jun-2014, 14:54
John, geezer pass is good....it may also give you a discount for a camp site. At least, this is practiced in Denali.

Les

Drew Wiley
27-Jun-2014, 15:56
It's everything Fed - NP's, monuments, wildlife refuges, historical sites - all free entry, with discounts on campsites. Too bad the state doesn't have something like that, rather than just a buck off. But at least a buck is a buck. But since it's just about the same distance for me to get to the East Side from here over either
Sonora Pass or Tioga, it makes whim travel all the more convenient, along with loop drives. Also nice for just zipping up to the domes area around Tenaya for the
occasional shot without needing to pay when otherwise camping somewhere on the east side. Once I retire I'll have the added luxury of being able to go up weekdays, when its quieter overall. But beyond the Valley, the Crane Flat area, and around Wawona and the South entrance, I've never had much trouble with the
traffic anyway. I rarely spent much time actually exploring the park close to the road. Really prefer backpacking in from the north or south boundaries. But it was
always nice to take a break soaking my feet in the creek right at timberline, unwinding before the full drive back, with a view of Mt Dana and so forth across that big meadow.

ROL
27-Jun-2014, 16:23
John, geezer pass is good....it may also give you a discount for a camp site. At least, this is practiced in Denali.

Les

On my MK trip a few weeks ago, when I woke up from my post 6 hour drive nap, my wife informed me that our campsite would be half price ($5). She had struck out on her own, while I dozed, in pursuit of her Geezer Pass at the Ranger Station. I get to share, when I bring her along – though campfires are now mandatory.

http://www.rangeoflightphotography.com/SupportPics/LFPF/Mineral%20King%20Camp%20Fire%205-14.jpg

tgtaylor
27-Jun-2014, 16:45
The "Geezer Pass" is almost too good to be true: I got mine on my birthday before they decided to do away with it. Yep, no more $80 a year fee for a park pass and 50% off on campsites!

Thomas

Preston
27-Jun-2014, 19:48
I got mine on my birthday before they decided to do away with it.

The Feds aren't issuing the Pass any longer? When did that happen? If so, that's too bad. I've had mine for a couple of years--it's saved me a pile of money. I sure hope it stays valid!

John--Glad to hear you had a good time!

--P

tgtaylor
27-Jun-2014, 20:02
The Feds aren't issuing the Pass any longer? When did that happen? If so, that's too bad. I've had mine for a couple of years--it's saved me a pile of money. I sure hope it stays valid!

It's still being issued ($10) but with the budget crisis at the time I thought they might sober-up and issue it on an annual basis instead of "lifetime." So I didn't take any chances and drove over to NPS Maritime Park at fisherman's wharf and got one thinking that once issued they would continue to honor it even if they did change it. What a deal!

Thomas

Preston
27-Jun-2014, 20:42
Thanks, Thomas.

That's comforting news for those who are getting close to geezerhood. Mine was free, but ten dollars is still a bargain.

--P

John Kasaian
27-Jun-2014, 22:01
Hey Drew, here's a you tube of the million dollar road
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOhuXiDD5lU

John Kasaian
27-Jun-2014, 22:05
Well heck I might as well include a link the Yosemite Marching Band Pt 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdJ5qZTAQ18