PDA

View Full Version : Best way to letter Pelican cases?

Darin Boville
14-Jun-2014, 20:53
What works? Spray paint and stencils? Acrylic artist paint?

Surface prep?

The cases are black plastic...

--Darin

lenser
14-Jun-2014, 21:14
On other cases I've stenciled, I've just used flat black or white spray cans. On a Pelican case, I think I might check with a body shop for their recommendation.

Light Guru
14-Jun-2014, 21:26
Have a final sticker made. It looks much better then spray paint and stencils.

AtlantaTerry
27-Jun-2014, 23:26
Have a final sticker made. It looks much better then spray paint and stencils.

I wonder if a sticker would ... "stick" to the plastic.

There are two problems:
(1) the surface is plastic, an oil-based product. Therefore can be slick.
(2) the surface is usually not smooth but bumpy - sort of a pebble finish. This means there is less area for the adhesive to grab on to.

I suppose one could use a pre-spray to fill the valleys thereby giving more of a surface for the adhesive to grip.

IMHO a sticker would, over time, be rubbed off whereas paint is going to go into the pores of the plastic and last a much longer time.

Carsten Wolff
28-Jun-2014, 02:31
I never had problems with vinyl stickers on my Peli cases. My company stickers have mostly survived a decade now.
Other things I've done or seen that "work" are:
Duct tape and felt pen;
soldering-iron or other ugly engraving methods;
to a degree: Dymo tape;
spray paint/stencil also works for a while (flat paint seems better than gloss), but scratches easily and can peel depending on type/brand.
Forget "white-out".
When you buy the cases new, they offer a name customising option next to the handles....

Jac@stafford.net
28-Jun-2014, 10:49
(1) the surface is plastic, an oil-based product. Therefore can be slick.

Pelican cases are Polypropylene copolymer.

From the Pelican FAQ (http://www.pelican-case.com/faq.html)
What adhesives and/or paints can be used on the cases?

Due to the nature of the polypropylene being chemically inert, very little will attack the material. That also means that very few adhesives and paints will adhere satisfactorily. For an adhesive, we have found that 3M’s DP-8005 two-part adhesive works very well with our case material. It has also been reported that “Shoe Goo” works very well. For paint, Krylon has a product out called Fusion that they claim will adhere to polyolefin-based materials like polypropylene.

h2oman
28-Jun-2014, 11:05
If you are not too concerned about appearances, a silver sharpie pen should work well. That is what I used to put my name and contact info on my kayak paddle, and it has held up well.

Jim C.
28-Jun-2014, 12:15
What do you want to put on your cases just a name ?
Brother P-Touch label system - I use it to label my polypropylene storage boxes for shutters, holders and such.
labels hold up pretty well

Do you want to paint a logo on it ?
Bumper coater paint - You'll have to go to a real Autobody supply store, Pep boys is not going to have it.
One brand is SEM bumper coater, unfortunately the colors are going to be car colors, metallic grays and blacks
so if you're looking for fluorescent pink you're not going to find it. A lot of prep involved with bumper paint.
As Jac posted Krylon fusion paint works ok on polyethylene/polypropylene, it takes some time to cure and there is some prep involved
but not as much as needed for bumper paint.

Steve Goldstein
28-Jun-2014, 12:36
Did you try asking Pelican?

Jac@stafford.net
28-Jun-2014, 15:14
Did you try asking Pelican?

Pelican has a FAQ shown a couple posts earlier.

Dymo Support
30-Jun-2014, 06:37
I never had problems with vinyl stickers on my Peli cases. My company stickers have mostly survived a decade now.
Other things I've done or seen that "work" are:
Duct tape and felt pen;
soldering-iron or other ugly engraving methods;
to a degree: Dymo tape;
spray paint/stencil also works for a while (flat paint seems better than gloss), but scratches easily and can peel depending on type/brand.
Forget "white-out".
When you buy the cases new, they offer a name customising option next to the handles....

You can use Dymo embossing tape which will look classy and do the job. Take a look at the following link with more information on devices and types of tape:

http://tinyurl.com/bosa3oz

Please, let us know if you have any questions! We will be happy to help. ^CP

ROL
30-Jun-2014, 09:45
Next time, simply resist the unmanly temptation to go hipster black (with anything) :rolleyes:. All my cases are either silver or yellow. The only color which then passes snotiness muster is black marker pen with which the cases are uniquely (i.e., by my own hand) identified. Or, one may invert, or subvert, the black marker pen philosophy and cover the whole box with it, leaving a 'stenciled' representation in the original color of the box. Black marker pens – don't leave home without 'em. :)

StoneNYC
30-Jun-2014, 10:37
If the yellow weren't a clear signal to "steal me" I would have gone for that, grey would be ok, black is terrible in the sun, but black is universal and matches, all different colors aren't available and often cost more than black for the same plastic case, so I stuck to black.

Pelican has their own you can use, but I think a stencil and white spray paint is fine...

ROL
30-Jun-2014, 11:06
Stone, you insufferable hipster wannabe, do I really need to explain myself to you? I don't choose colors that "match", only those that will get the job done. The silver is for loaded film holders. AA himself specifically advised use of silver or white cases for the reasons you mention. Nothing advertises expensive like attempting to hide it in an expensive black box. FTR, the yellow, non-photography cases, are for indispensable whitewater cargo, where they clearly scream (in very shrill voices not dissimilar to your own) "Don't leave me behind!" on a deserted river bank, or "Find me!" if, god forbid, floating in the current – far from the nearest B&H, Home Depot, or Food King. The point I was trying to make is that by choosing a color that allows the use of a black marker, rather than fashion, identification becomes basic. Geez.

Alan Gales
30-Jun-2014, 12:45
http://www.labelmaster.com/shop/labels/hazmat-labels

Add some stickers to it while you are at it. Helps cut down on theft! :cool:

StoneNYC
30-Jun-2014, 14:01
Stone, you insufferable hipster wannabe, do I really need to explain myself to you? I don't choose colors that "match", only those that will get the job done. The silver is for loaded film holders. AA himself specifically advised use of silver or white cases for the reasons you mention. Nothing advertises expensive like attempting to hide it in an expensive black box. FTR, the yellow, non-photography cases, are for indispensable whitewater cargo, where they clearly scream (in very shrill voices not dissimilar to your own) "Don't leave me behind!" on a deserted river bank, or "Find me!" if, god forbid, floating in the current – far from the nearest B&H, Home Depot, or Food King. The point I was trying to make is that by choosing a color that allows the use of a black marker, rather than fashion, identification becomes basic. Geez.

:) haha, I'm no hipster, not skinny enough and too much muscle, BUT I agree, your method is sound, we both agree, use what color works for you, but use pelican ;)