PDA

View Full Version : Series filter info

SLVRGLTN
14-Jun-2014, 17:04
I have a lens that has a 53mm lens opening. So I'm thinking it needs the Series size filters can anybody tell me if I'm right or wrong about needing the series VIII for the lens? Is there an adapter ring that goes from series VIII to series 9 because I already own a set of series 9 filters for use. Info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Steve Goldstein
17-Jun-2014, 02:46
I think a 53mm opening would be Series VII, not VIII. I'm pretty sure VII has a 54mm (or very close) thread size.

67mm filters fit directly on the two lenses I own with Series VIII threading.

Keith Pitman
17-Jun-2014, 05:57
Here's a list of sizes: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photographic_filter#Series_filters.

What lens is it you are trying to fit filters to?

Keith Pitman
17-Jun-2014, 06:07
The table here is better:

http://www.apotelyt.com/photo-accessory/series-filters

SLVRGLTN
17-Jun-2014, 06:12
@Keith it's for my Carl Zeiss Jena Tessar that I have hope that helps I will take a look at the links it's greatly appreciated... I was hoping to try to save some money and just use the Series 9 filters but I do have 67&77mm filters to use so that would be an easier option for me especially since the Series filters are not cheap in the bigger sizes.

Keith Pitman
17-Jun-2014, 10:58
I've looked for step rings to go from one size series adapter to another and never found one. Good luck.

Michael Graves
17-Jun-2014, 11:50
I think Series VII is going to be a trifle small for this opening...by a couple of millimeters. A Series VIII will be larger, but there will be less chance of cutting off corners of the image when using movements.

Jac@stafford.net
17-Jun-2014, 13:40
I have a lens that has a 53mm lens opening. So I'm thinking it needs the Series size filters

Series filter and shade holders usually slip over the outside of the lens barrel. Measure that, not the inside diameter.

Chauncey Walden
17-Jun-2014, 14:56
Series VI to VII and VII to VIII are generally available. Macintoshcat on eBay usually has them. Most of the Series IX holders/adapters I've seen are in mm threaded sizes. If you get a Series VIII slip on for your Tessar then you can get 67mm to whatever to step up to some Series IX holder size if you want to go that way. I see a whole set of IX filters with a holder on the bay now for $16.

SLVRGLTN
26-Jun-2014, 07:09
So after doing some searching I found what I was looking for and for $21 shipped I got exactly what I needed

I found a Tiffen Series 7 to 8 Step up ring with a Tiffen Series 8 to 9 step up ring which also came with a lens hood and it's a perfect fit on my Carl Zeis Jena Tessar lens

The Series 7 step up ring was a perfect fit to the lens and having the lens hood is just another bonus

Thanks everyone for your knowledge it's greatly appreciated

Jim Noel
26-Jun-2014, 08:42
I've looked for step rings to go from one size series adapter to another and never found one. Good luck.

Try Freestyle for adapter rings. They used to carry them and may still.