PDA

View Full Version : ULF Cameras and Lenses

Ted Stoddard
26-Oct-2004, 18:13
I want to eventually get into ULF Photography and i was wondering if there was a list of the many sizes of cameras and lenses that will work with each one? I know they range from 4x10, 7x17,8x20,12x20,14x17 and so on and not to mention the sizes of 11x14 to 16x20 and of course the massive 20x24.... I do all the way from 35mm up to 8x10 now..... including 35mm panoramic with a F7 Widelux.... I cant just do only one format although i been known to go over board and shoot all the formats i have just to see the many aspects of all formats i have available and i carry it all when i go on my adventures..... I not only collect cameras and related items i use it all and i spend as much time on the road and in the darkroom as i do sleeping which... i guess you can say im a photographic nut but really enjoy the many points of view in all the equipment i own and use.... I was wondering what would be the best ULF camera to get and what lenses should i buy? Hope all is well with everyone and happy shooting to everyone.... I do love wood cameras instead of metal..... Thanks Ted

Jim Galli
26-Oct-2004, 19:40
I won't attempt to give a conclusive answer, just a couple of ideas. First is to decide if you want more of the same nearly square ratio or are you yearning for panoramas. 2nd is why? Unless you're going for contact prints, big cameras are rather pointless. #1 and #2 lens in most ULF collections are the ubiquitous 355mm G-Claron. Covers all the way to 12X20 I believe, and is just excellent. Useable on your 4X5 with 6 or 7 times blow-ups, and the other lens is the Nikkor 450M. Same reasons. 305 G-Calron will cover 7X17 and 11X14, as will 12" Dagor. Somewhere on Wisner's site is a list of lenses useable on 20X24! Some are rarities to only dream about like 24" Protar V's etc. The single groups on the larger Protar VII's will cover most of the big boys. Like my 18 7/8 inch VII will easily wrap around my 12X20.

Ted Stoddard
26-Oct-2004, 21:23
I found these on Ebay I was like omg some classics in here check it out......

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=30076&item=3848488881&rd=1 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=30076&item=3848488881&rd=1)

steve simmons
27-Oct-2004, 07:28
The Jan/Feb 04 issue of View Camera has an artcle discussing some of the sizes and current offerings in cameras.

steve simmons

Michael Kadillak
27-Oct-2004, 11:13
Jan/Feb 2001 Photo Techniques article entitled "Ultra Large Format Cameras Are Back"

Fuji 600mm is fabulous with coverage and contrast. S&S film holders from quality camera are well made, reasonable priced and available in just about every size you would need.

Cheers!

Jan Van Hove
27-Oct-2004, 14:00
Well, if you like wood that's a good thing, not much metal-bodied ULF cameras around !

As far as which one to get, it depends a lot on the amount of money you are willing to invest. The cameras get very expensive with size, and film also, shooting 15$ sheets of black and white 20x24 can get expensive on the long run !

I'll do a shameless plug and invite you to take a look at my ULF website at http://ulf.janvanhove.com (http://ulf.janvanhove.com) , it has some information on various cameras (in the "tools of the trade" section...) but it's mainly a link source to camera manufacturers and other ULF photographers...

If you have are on a big budget, the camera to get is the Ebony 20x24, and the lens is the new Schneider 1100mm, made specifically to cover film that size... If you are on a human budget, then the hundreds of options available to you are hard to summarize in a few lines...

Hope you get the info you need, and welcome to the world of ULF !

Patrick Jan

John Kasaian
27-Oct-2004, 14:11
Fourteen more gallons of claret to drink and I'll be ready to unveil the ULF Wine Cask Pinhole! You might convict me to bake one of thes ULF pin trolls for you, but I canned drik anymorph carrots, idell half dooby merlot!;-)

Ted Stoddard
28-Oct-2004, 16:28
Well I wanted to say thanks to everyone and i decided to do 11x14 and also 20x24 not all at the same time but I'm going to work with 11x14 too do Carbon Printing and also the 20x24 for Carbon Printing.... I already own a lens that will cover 11x14 and so once i get a good camera to go with it i be set not going to buy a huge amount of lenses maybe 1 or 2 for each camera and focus on using those cameras besides what i already use and im also considering 7x17 for panoramics maybe if infrared film can be special ordered for that size i will try too use infrared film in that size..... I am already in the process of looking into 11x14 macophot aura and non aura infrared film to shoot 11x14 format.... i am most likely going to have to do a huge order for that 11x14 size film if anyone else is interested in ordering some 11x14 film it maybe a good idea to get one big order of it from maco so it cuts the price down on everyone.... if anyone is interested please contact me.... thanks Ted

I'm also going to build my own camera.... so wish me luck.... not sure what size is a ? if anyones has an idea let me know thanks Ted....