PDA

View Full Version : Wollensak

anthony marsh
12-Jun-2014, 10:16
I need information about a WOLLENSAK OPTIMO SENECA CONVERTIBLE ANASTIGMAT SERIES1 7". Will it cover 5x7 and is it suitable for portraits and landscapes?
It's got very minor fungus, no etching on glass, is there a way to remove fungus?
Thanks to all , Tony

desertrat
13-Jun-2014, 08:35
It may be a rebranded Wolly series I Velostigmat. Counting reflections will verify. If it is a series I Wolly, it will cover 5x7 easily, but will be a bit wide. I have a couple of these lenses at around 12-1/2 inches for 8x10 and there is lots of coverage.

jp
13-Jun-2014, 08:59
As it's convertible, you could make it into a longer lens for portraits. Don't ask me how.. If the fungus is very minor, don't worry about it. Maybe some everclear on it.

John Kasaian
13-Jun-2014, 09:16
Maybe ultra violet light? Wollensak 1As are indeed special lenses.

Patrick13
13-Jun-2014, 23:50
I've used hydrogen peroxide and ammonia 1:1 on external fungus before, but it was a younger lens and the fungus was light. I read that older glasses might be softer, I'd read up more before recommending it specifically for you. UV light is supposed to work to kill the fungus (aka sunlight), which you can then clean off. PS: don't let it sit in the sun untended, lenses DO focus things and might start something burning :mad:

jnantz
14-Jun-2014, 04:42
a lot of the seneca convertible lenses were found on seneca view cameras
i can't find your exact lens but i found ads for olde seneca cameras
that were 4x5 that had seneca convertibles in optimo shutters.
my poor guess is that it was meant for 4x5 and might work on 5x7 in a pinch with not much
room to wiggle. to convert it you remove the front lens element it will increase your focal length
not sure by how much ... but converted it will easily cover 5x7. with both elements
on the lens, you might have to just try it. from what i remember the shutter
requires a air hose and bulb.

converted it probably won't be extremely sharp ( maybe it will? ) and whether it will
be good for what you want to use it for ... it depends on what you like..i like the look of
a 19th/early 20th century lens but to some it is at the bottom of their "like" list.

Carsten Wolff
17-Jun-2014, 04:33
I have it in 10", re-mounted in one of those excellent Alphax shutters.
Your 7" would cover 5x7" with minor movements; its not a bad lens.
I initially cleaned mine with Windex/ammonia and soft wipes when I got it a few years ago now,
because it was very grimy and had some fungus in it; it has been brilliant since.
It is actually an excellent performer; even when converted, esp. when stopped down a bit.
My 10" is my mid-range to long travel lens.

Perhaps ask member [renes], he had the same lens in Conley V rebranded guise.

Jim Noel
17-Jun-2014, 07:32
PLain Listerine is an excellent remover of fungus.

Toyon
17-Jun-2014, 08:05
Anastigmat was the name given by Wollensak to their series of lenses just after the turn of the twentieth century. Though an improvement, in terms of speed, over the ubiquitous aplanat lenses that had dominated their line-up, they were quickly replaced by the Velostigmat line of Tessar-type lenses. In my opinion, the Wollensak anastigmat series are not very sharp and inferior to the Velostigmat in every respect. You should check yours for sharpness against a good tessar of any make. Velo's are cheap enough that it is not worth investing in an Anastigmat-badged Wollensak lens.