PDA

View Full Version : East Texas favor / lens borrow?

semck83
11-Jun-2014, 18:30
Hi,

First, I hope this is the right forum.

Second, I am an idiot. I fully accept this.

As one might detect by looking at the last time I posted, I have not been very active for the last few years. This is because (a) I've been in graduate school, which is extremely busy, and (b) I have no access to a darkroom or a local processor. I do get a few shots a year, maybe 7-8, but that's it.

Anyway, I traveled back to East Texas (Smith Co.) for a couple weeks, and brought my LF gear because there's something I want to photograph. I packed at the last minute, and like a complete idiot, I forgot to bring my lens. (And I was so proud of myself for remembering my black jacket. *sigh*). I was wondering whether anybody in the area might have a second-rate 150mm(ish) lens that I could borrow for a couple of days. I'd be more than happy to leave full purchase price as a deposit, as long as I could return it in the same condition for a refund. My camera is a 4x5 Tachihara.

DFW could also work, as I'll be there over the weekend.

I completely understand if there's nobody around, or you'd rather not trust your lens to a stranger. Sorry again if I'm asking in the wrong forum, and for being an idiot.

Jim Andrada
11-Jun-2014, 18:46
I've seen people post requests like this in the For Sale section under WTB (Want to BORROW) headings.

I'd be happy to help if you were in Tucson, but not much I can do from here. Finding someone near you with the right lens board might be more daunting than finding a lens.

Jody_S
11-Jun-2014, 20:29
Perhaps you could buy one off the 'bay and resell it when you're done? I'm sure you could get very fast shipping from a USA seller, and if you pay market price for the lens you shouldn't lose anything. A lot of 'normal' lenses like the 150 Symmar go for quite low amounts.

Ari
11-Jun-2014, 20:32
Or get a lens from KEH in less-than-stellar condition; they will ship to you in a few days, and their prices are very good.

Doremus Scudder
12-Jun-2014, 00:45
... or have a friend/relative/roommate box up your lens and send it overnight. The shipping cost will be your reminder not to forget the lens the next time :)

Good luck,

Doremus

P.S: Haven't you been lusting after that "other" lens? You know, to augment your 150mm. Maybe now is a good time to spring for it...

Greg Jackson
12-Jun-2014, 03:55
I'm in Tyler and have a 150 Rodenstock on a Linhof Board you're welcome to use. Also a 110 and 210. Send me a PM

Robert Langham
12-Jun-2014, 13:01
Sounds like you are under control but what the heck are you doing in Smith County? We aren't a vacation wonderland.

semck83
12-Jun-2014, 13:25
Thank you all for the excellent suggestions, and thank you VERY much, Greg, for lending me your lens!

I'm in Tyler and have a 150 Rodenstock on a Linhof Board you're welcome to use. Also a 110 and 210. Send me a PM