PDA

View Full Version : Elwood Enlarger

cdbaker5283
11-Jun-2014, 16:05
Does anyone here know how to tell how old and elwood enlarger is or could be? Any markings or serial numbers to go by?

Leonard Robertson
12-Jun-2014, 11:55
I've always thought the wood framed Elwoods were pre-WWII and the all metal models were post war, but this is just a guess on my part. Cameracentric here: http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/info/elwood_1.html has an Elwood manual. If you go to the bottom of the last page, someone has penciled "1/17/47" which I assume is more or less the date the manual was issued. I have a metal 5X7 Elwood I bought years ago from a local photographer. Knowing when he was active in photography makes me think he bought this new in the late 1940s or early 1950s. Here is one page I found with a bit of Elwood information: http://www.jollinger.com/photo/enlargers/elwood.html but I don't know if any of the models listed are the earlier wood framed versions. http://camera-wiki.org/wiki/Elwood_Pattern_Works doesn't show much information, but does include a 1940 Elwood ad from Popular Photography magazine. To me the style of the dome on top of the Elwoods in the ad look similar to ones I've seen pictured with the wood frame Elwoods.

Len

evan clarke
12-Jun-2014, 14:43
Yeah, I think they progressed from wood to cast iron and then to cast aluminum. I have a delightful 5x7 aluminum job with a perfect reflector..They are sort of elegant and well thought out, even if they look too simple.

AuditorOne
12-Jun-2014, 15:18
Mine is a bit of a mix between wood and cast iron parts. It has a plate with the name on it. I have no idea when it was built but it is certainly a tank.

This page gives you a bit of a line up but I am not sure whether it helps you or not. http://www.jollinger.com/photo/enlargers/elwood.html

Ooops, I see it was already posted. :confused:

John Kasaian
15-Jun-2014, 07:58
I convinced that mine is pre Cambrian :rolleyes:

cdbaker5283
16-Jun-2014, 00:22
I can't get he pictures to load from my phone. But mine is a straight post, all wood frame, complete I think with the developer tray. I will post pictures when I get to work. I think mine is at least 1920's to 1930's from what information I can get. To be continued until later today since it is 12:22 am pacific time.

cdbaker5283
16-Jun-2014, 00:27
I can't get the pictures to load from my phone. But mine is a straight post, all wood frame, complete I think with the developer tray. I will post pictures when I get to work. I think mine is at least 1920's to 1930's from what information I can get. To be continued until later today since it is 12:22 am pacific time.

cdbaker5283
17-Jun-2014, 10:24
116884116885116886 hopefully these will post.

cdbaker5283
18-Jun-2014, 13:46
any thoughts on my photos?

Ironage
18-Jun-2014, 14:36
any thoughts on my photos?

I'm now expert, and can only say that it appears to be older than mine. Mine has a larger light housing, and no decal just a serial number. Is there a serial number on that old beast?

John Kasaian
18-Jun-2014, 21:27
If it has the features of any of these in might be 1940's
http://www.jollinger.com/photo/enlargers/elwood.html
If not, then it's likely earlier.

Jac@stafford.net
19-Jun-2014, 12:18
Why, it is so old that it could be carbon dated.

AuditorOne
19-Jun-2014, 19:36
Why, it is so old that it could be carbon dated.

Yeah, but then you would find it is old enough that the Neanderthals used it and you would play pure hell finding a manual. :D

Tin Can
19-Jun-2014, 19:51
I have 2 5x7 Elwoods. One is wall mount aluminum and one is table mount aluminum. The table ones can be tilted for wall projection.

Of course I also have 2 8x10 table Elwoods. One is cast iron and one is the same exact castings in aluminum. The cast iron one has terminal structural problems. It's for parts.

All very simple and usable.

I think dating them is very tough, that online catalog is the same as the paper one I have.

Be patient and all Elwoods will come to you.

Your room looks much bigger than mine and could hold 20 Elwoods.

If you actually use it, I suggest setting up and testing with big CFL lamps to get it all 'squared away' meaning adjusted in all dimensions. Less heat and you will know how the thing works when you put in the correct bulb, which may need a height adjustment.

As you see you are not alone.

cdbaker5283
23-Jun-2014, 10:20
Thanks for the info. I will keep you up to date on my research. I will see if there is any markings, or dates on it somewhere. Thanks.

Tin Can
23-Jun-2014, 10:40
It's also useful to put your location on your header, sometimes local help is closer than you think.

Thanks for the info. I will keep you up to date on my research. I will see if there is any markings, or dates on it somewhere. Thanks.

dsphotog
23-Jun-2014, 13:52
I have one like that, but with no decal, just the same patent number (1633228) stamped into the front of the lens stage.
I've never printed with it, since I got a deal on a 5x7 Durst condenser enlarger.

Oh, and shouldn't this thread be in the Darkroom Equip. forum?

Chuck Pere
23-Jun-2014, 14:46
This is from a catalog dated March 1, 1938. The one in my May 15, 1940 catalog shows some slight differences so I believe your enlarger is from the 30's. I've picked up some Elwood info from Ebay over the years.117291117290117289

AuditorOne
23-Jun-2014, 18:56
Thanks for the scan Chuck Pere. Interesting information.

John Kasaian
23-Jun-2014, 19:50
I only have one Elwood. The kids call it Uncle Elwood as it wears a fedora and an old overcoat to help keep the dust off, LOL!

Tracy Storer
24-Jun-2014, 10:34
Can anybody with a wooden 8x10 Elwood help me out with a couple photos? I have a dealer looking for the base and column in his warehouse for an enlarger I've already bought and a decent photo of the cast iron base and column with gear-rack would be mighty helpful !
Sorry to hijack, but it seemed timely.

Tin Can
24-Jun-2014, 10:55
I want to powdercoat my 8X10 metal Elwood with some bright color, when I hit the Lotto.

They look sorta like alien robots.

I don't play the Lotto...

QUOTE=John Kasaian;1147842]I only have one Elwood. The kids call it Uncle Elwood as it wears a fedora and an old overcoat to help keep the dust off, LOL![/QUOTE]

Tin Can
24-Jun-2014, 11:04
I only have cast iron Elwood 8x10 base. I cannot photograph it as it is under a permanent base board.

But here are correct dimensions and a memory drawing.

Hope this helps.

Can anybody with a wooden 8x10 Elwood help me out with a couple photos? I have a dealer looking for the base and column in his warehouse for an enlarger I've already bought and a decent photo of the cast iron base and column with gear-rack would be mighty helpful !

Chuck Pere
24-Jun-2014, 15:04
This is all I have on wooden ones. From the 1940 catalog. Mine is a later model metal C2.

John Kasaian
24-Jun-2014, 15:26

Sorry, I wish I could help but mine's a metal monster.

Tracy Storer
24-Jun-2014, 16:43
Thanks guys, I took the liberty of downloading and outlining in red that parts I need to help my dealer find

Tin Can
24-Jun-2014, 17:54
The Elwoods appear to use similar rack and pinion gears depending on the size. It is very easy to mount any Elwood to a wall, if you have the rack plate. The rack gear is welded to the plate and almost anything can work as a stand off to the wall.

I really prefer my wall mount 5X7 as it takes up no bench space.

So perhaps all you need is a rack plate.

Tracy Storer
24-Jun-2014, 18:41
The wooden 57s only have rack for focusing(same rack as 810 for focusing), not elevation. The 8x10 uses 16 pitch, 20 deg PA rack, but in a 3/8"x3/8" size rather than the more sta dard and hugely oversize 3/4"x3/4". I saw the parts at the sale, and they tagged them for me, I just wanted to give them a little visual aid so they can find them faster.

Tin Can
24-Jun-2014, 19:35
Good luck!

203Ektar
24-Jun-2014, 20:49
The wooden 57s only have rack for focusing(same rack as 810 for focusing), not elevation. The 8x10 uses 16 pitch, 20 deg PA rack, but in a 3/8"x3/8" size rather than the more sta dard and hugely oversize 3/4"x3/4". I saw the parts at the sale, and they tagged them for me, I just wanted to give them a little visual aid so they can find them faster.

Hi Tracy,

To add to the confusion, some of the wooden 5x7's do have the rack for the elevation as well as the focus. My 5x7 wood Elwood looks a lot like the 8x10 Commercial, only smaller. What I'd like to find out, is how much the counterweight for the 5x7 woody with rack & pinion elevation gear weighs. Even better, if somebody has a wrecked wooden Elwood 5x7 that looks like the one in the picture Tracy posted, I'd love to buy the counterweight from you, if you still have it.

Mike Sullivan

John Kasaian
24-Jun-2014, 22:31
I came across this on craig's list just now
http://fresno.craigslist.org/atq/4490479229.html
The seller claims it's from 1927---the listing has lots of pictures of details so it might be of help.

cdbaker5283
25-Jun-2014, 09:27
I also found the add on craigslist a while ago, but i was wondering if the numbers on the bottom mean anything, i have yet had time to look at mine to see it the numbers are there. Also to see how many numbers are there. I just wanted to put it out there that if any of you are interested in buying mine i am willing to let it go. If anyone is interested let me know and i will send you my contact info.

cdbaker5283
25-Jun-2014, 09:32
http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/atq/4469031762.html i just found this one too.

Jim C.
25-Jun-2014, 11:27
Hi Tracy,

To add to the confusion, some of the wooden 5x7's do have the rack for the elevation as well as the focus. My 5x7 wood Elwood looks a lot like the 8x10 Commercial, only smaller. What I'd like to find out, is how much the counterweight for the 5x7 woody with rack & pinion elevation gear weighs. Even better, if somebody has a wrecked wooden Elwood 5x7 that looks like the one in the picture Tracy posted, I'd love to buy the counterweight from you, if you still have it.

Mike Sullivan

Not having seen this transitional Elwood enlarger I don't know if the counter weight
is free or rides something, have you tried looking for sash weights ?
Window installers may have some lying around.

Tracy Storer
25-Jun-2014, 12:03
In retrospect, I believe I saw the 8x10 counterweight at the estate sale, but didn't realize it at the time...it was a cylindrical hunk of cast iron probably 4" diameter x 8-10" tall, with a loop at the top, painted the same gloss/semi-gloss black as the curved column-base. I think a big window-sash weight would be a good get Mike, get a long one so you can cut off some if need be.

AuditorOne
25-Jun-2014, 14:49
The sash weight on my 8x10 is square piece of cast iron with a slot along one side that rides on the ridge attached to the stand. The sash cable attaches to the eye on top. Might be different than yours though.

203Ektar
25-Jun-2014, 15:10
In retrospect, I believe I saw the 8x10 counterweight at the estate sale, but didn't realize it at the time...it was a cylindrical hunk of cast iron probably 4" diameter x 8-10" tall, with a loop at the top, painted the same gloss/semi-gloss black as the curved column-base. I think a big window-sash weight would be a good get Mike, get a long one so you can cut off some if need be.

Thanks Tracy, I'll, look into that. I'll bet that Elwood probably used an off the shelf part for this application. Gotta get the old monster set up.

203Ektar
25-Jun-2014, 15:13
The sash weight on my 8x10 is square piece of cast iron with a slot along one side that rides on the ridge attached to the stand. The sash cable attaches to the eye on top. Might be different than yours though.

I believe that your 8x10 and my 5x7 use the same style counterweight. I never knew about window sash weights, but I'm definitely going to check this out. Thanks for the advice.