PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Boss Screen

marshallarts
11-Jun-2014, 15:51
Does anyone know anyone or know where to find a Boss Screen? I am looking for one without grid lines for my 4x5 Graflex but will adapt it to anything if I find one.

Much appreciated!

marshallarts
23-Jun-2014, 21:28
Wow, amazing these things are so rare and yet everyone raves about them. They must be worth more than gold

BerndR
23-Jun-2014, 23:20
Why not try the vendor? ;)

http://www.stabitech.nl/Bosscreen.htm

Cor
24-Jun-2014, 00:29
From their website:http://www.stabitech.nl/Index.htm#top

Copyright © 2003

Last update Jan. 11 2004

As I understood; they are out of business for quite some time now..

Best,

Cor

pierre506
24-Jun-2014, 07:02
Just bought YANKE super light screen to instead the original Deardorff 8x10 ground glass.

pierre506
24-Jun-2014, 07:04

BerndR
27-Jun-2014, 00:09
From their website:http://www.stabitech.nl/Index.htm#top
Copyright © 2003
Last update Jan. 11 2004

As I understood; they are out of business for quite some time now..
Best,
CorWell ... The website's quite sticky, isn't it? Up for 10 years; someone seems to pay.

How about giving them a ring and see what happens? +31 79 361 3100

Bernd

marshallarts
27-Jun-2014, 09:50
I've emailed and no one writes back. Maybe I'll try to call although I hope someone understands English who answers the phone

DennisD
27-Jun-2014, 18:16
You might try Bill Maxwell. Maxwell Precision Optics.

He makes a very nice Fresnel screen. I have one for my 4x5 Technika. It's wonderful and bright. (However, not cheap.)

I posted his contact info a while back. Search "maxwell" and look for this post: "4x5 reflex viewer at night".

Dennis

BerndR
4-Jul-2014, 23:20
I hope someone understands English who answers the phoneI'm pretty sure that their English is much better than your Dutch ;) Let's just hope that they are still around.

gary mulder
5-Jul-2014, 00:38
Boss Screen is no longer. The remaining stock was soled around 2005-2006.

Jonathan Barlow
6-Jul-2014, 13:45
Wasn't the greatest problem with the Bosscreen ground glass its susceptibility to damage from heat because of the paraffin layer between the two pieces?

Arne Croell
6-Jul-2014, 23:11
Wasn't the greatest problem with the Bosscreen ground glass its susceptibility to damage from heat because of the paraffin layer between the two pieces?
That was always more of a hypothetical possibility than a real one because the required temperatures are well beyond touch temperature. I've use Bosscreens for about 20 years, and the main problem was cold, not heat - below about -15°C a bit of delamination could occasionally show as Newton rings. Most of the times it heals itself heating up, otherwise a careful treatment with a hairdryer helps.

Bob Salomon
7-Jul-2014, 07:35
That was always more of a hypothetical possibility than a real one because the required temperatures are well beyond touch temperature. I've use Bosscreens for about 20 years, and the main problem was cold, not heat - below about -15°C a bit of delamination could occasionally show as Newton rings. Most of the times it heals itself heating up, otherwise a careful treatment with a hairdryer helps.
We had several Linhof users that transported their camera, with the Boss Screen, in their car trunk in hot summer weather that required new screens from reticulation after they got the camera out of the heat.
Bear in mind, the Boss was originally developed as a grain less video transfer projection screen for indoor use.. A later adaptation was as a view camera screen.
We were originally offered the transfer screen set as a product around 1982 but turned it down. Broke ell later picked it up as an enhanced focus screen for LF. We had the Super Screen, which had its own high temp. Problems, so could not take on the Boss as well.