PDA

View Full Version : Pyrocat HD

brucep
9-Jun-2014, 08:21
On the Pyrocat HD website, under suggested developing times there is the following paragraph:

Contrast Index
These times, at the temperatures indicated, should give an approximate CI of .56 when measured with a densitometer in blue mode, appropriate for printing on graded silver papers of #2 contrast. For variable contrast silver papers be sure to increase development times by about 35%.

Can someone explain why variable grade paper requires an extra 35% over a #2 paper, as printing through a #2 grade filter surely requires the same contrast of negative?

Thanks
Bruce

jp
9-Jun-2014, 09:01
VC papers are sensitive to different colors (thus how contrast is controlled), so the color of the stain on pyro negatives affects contrast some. I don't increase development solely for the sake of VC paper, just use a VC filter.

brucep
9-Jun-2014, 10:13
VC papers are sensitive to different colors (thus how contrast is controlled), so the color of the stain on pyro negatives affects contrast some. I don't increase development solely for the sake of VC paper, just use a VC filter.

Sorry if I mis-understood, but are you saying that if I use a VC filter, then the normal time is fine, and by giving the 35% extra, the stain acts as the VC filter and I just print straight onto VC paper with no filter?

Bruce

blueribbontea
9-Jun-2014, 15:15
More like: The stain will make the neg print softer than your would expect, so the increased development will increase the native contrast of the film, thus bringing you back to a "normal" use of filters.

Bill

jp
9-Jun-2014, 19:15
Proper "as in traditional" exposure+development is something that prints on the desired paper at grade 2. The stain make it print softer. I'm not proper, so I just dial in a little magenta when using VC paper. Do whatever you want and start experimenting and taking photos.

Andrew O'Neill
9-Jun-2014, 19:43
My times are longer because: 1. I use a cold light head. 2. When printing with silver I use VC papers. 3. I use the same negatives for alt processes.
You have to test to see what works for you.