PDA

View Full Version : 4x5 Coverage of 105mm/5.6 W Nikkor

Richard Martel
25-Oct-2004, 20:06
Hello

I'm thinking of buying a 105mm f5.6 W Nikkor for my lightweight 4x5 field camera but I'm somewhat concerned that it may have limited coverage and even small tilts will vignette. I normally use f 22 f45

Anyone that has experience with this lens please chime in.

Thanks, Richard

Gem Singer
25-Oct-2004, 20:43
Hi Richard,

The Nikkor f5.6 105W has an image circle of 155mm. It is not a wide angle design. It will just barely cover the 4x5 format at f22. It would be a good choice if you were planning on using a 6x7 roll film back on your lightweight field camera.

The Nikkor f8 90SW would be a better choice. It has a 235mm image circle at f22. and is a wide angle design.

Chris Avery
26-Oct-2004, 11:45
Try the poor man's Super Symmar XL 110, the Fuji CMW 105 f/5.6. Sharp, light, inexpensive, 80 degrees of coverage, bright at the corners. According to Kerry Thalmann and Christopher Lopez, who tested its 125 mm sibling, it's every bit as sharp as any large format lens at F/22 (60,60, 54), and sharper than any non-aspheric wide angle. Has a 174 mm image circle, about the same as my 75/6.8 Grandagon (187). Only drawback is the 67 mm filter ring. Here's a link to a discussion by Kerry Thalmann, who had not used the lens when he wrote it: Http://www.thalmann.com/largeformat/wide.htm (Http://www.thalmann.com/largeformat/wide.htm)

I spend most of my photography time in slot canyons and forests, where there are too many parallel planes to use any movements except rise. If you use this lens in the field, you'll never use a 90 mm wide angle again. It has become my "desert island" lens, because it is so sharp and so bright. It will resolve pine needles down to the grain of 4x5 T-Max 100. An unexpected bonus is the look of the 105 on 4x5, I especially like the slightly wide angle view that it presents.

For my part, I took the money I "saved" on a Super Symmar and bought a Fuji A 240 f/9.

Richard Martel
26-Oct-2004, 12:25
Eugene,

I'm using a Nikkor 90/f8 SW on my A/S I'm very happy with it but trying to find something light with max filter dia of 52mm.

Chris,
Thanks for the heads up on the 105 Fuji too bad it has a 67mm dia front end.

I'm trying to limit my lightweight rig to 52mm filters that I have from my 35mm nikon days.

Thanks so much for the advice...I will look into the 105 Fuji anyway.

Regards, Richard

Gem Singer
26-Oct-2004, 13:00
Hello again Richard,

By limiting yourself to 52mm. (or smaller) screw-in filters, you are severly narrowing down the possibilities. Scroll down on the home page of this website to Lenses. Click on Comparison Charts. Click on the 4x5 format. Michael Davis' chart shows almost all of the lens choices, and the various focal lengths, that can be used for the 4x5 format. The next focal length that meets your criteria is the Nikkor f5.6 135W. Perhaps it's time to step up to 67mm. filters. In that case, the Fuji 105 CM-W and the Fuji 125 CM-W are excellent choices, judging from my experience.

Richard Martel
26-Oct-2004, 18:19
So many lenses..So little time.

Well a fairly late model 90mm/6.8 Angulon popped up on . ... and I nabbed it. It may be one of the better ones, but, I'm sure, not as good as the ones discussed above.
As I'll be using the camera and lens on and around salt water I did not want to risk my better stuff.

Thanks for the kind help...

Richard, Florida Keys