PDA

View Full Version : type 55 tank... silicone/sodium sulfite reaction?

Serge J-F. Levy
25-Oct-2004, 15:14
I just bought one of these overpriced water buckets with a rack in it (aka the type 55 clearing tank for polaroid negatives) and I noticed that the rack is rather loose in the notching system. I am hoping to solidify its placing by siliconing the two parts together and wonder whether anyone knows whether the silicone would react with the sodium sulfite solution? If so, can you recommend another adhesive?

Thanks for your assistance.

-Serge

www.sergelevy.com

Gem Singer
25-Oct-2004, 16:03
Hi Serge,

Silicone adhesive is relatively inert after is hardens. Among other purposes, it is used for fastening the glass sides and the bottom of aquariums. It should work O.K. for the purpose you describe. The 18% sodium sulfite solution, recommended for Polaroid type 55 P/N, is not caustic

David Starr
25-Oct-2004, 16:05
I used Super Glue on mine.

Jim Ewins
25-Oct-2004, 23:29
Firstly water will clear type 55 negs after 4 hours or so, especially if it is agitated. Craig Tanner uses a rubber maid flat container carried in a belly pack. Each neg is separated from the others by a wrap of TP. I use a simular set up and it works fine. No need to worry about the chemicals. Wash the negs after separating from the TP & trim stuff, some wetting agent and up to dry. Jim

Emil Ems
29-Oct-2004, 09:42
Jim,

Your method sounds interesting to me. Please tell me what you mean by "a wrap of TP". Living in Europe, I am not familiar with that term.

tim atherton
29-Oct-2004, 10:04
Well I'm from N AMera and I have no idea either?

Maybe a childhood abbreviation for Toilet Paper...?

tim atherton
29-Oct-2004, 10:04
Hmmm N America