PDA

View Full Version : Fatif 40 4X5: a thing of beauty

koh303
7-Jun-2014, 09:22
Every now and again one is confronted by the fact, that even though Italians invented electricity, in the sense that everything made in Italy must have a bucket of electricity waiting next to it in case you ever need to fill it back when it runs our of electricity, you find something amazing, that is not only amazingly pretty, but also usable, practical and well made.

I just got this Fatif 40 4X5 monorail camera because i was curious about it more then anything, and it ended up being a wondrous thing.
There are geared movements where you would not expect them, and while this camera has had the life beaten out of it by the previous used (a commercial studio) and it shows it, everything is super smooth, and precise. I doubt if this was ever lubricated, but the metal is so nice and the tolerances so close that everything works as good as the best linhof you might have ever seen.

I think the main difference that sets this apart from any other camera i have used, is that nothing is done with force here. All the latches, locking nuts and gears are extremely soft and require only a light touch to move, yet are very dampened so they do not move on their own. It is also surprisingly light for a monorail (under 6KG) when you consider the massive gauge of metal used, and the gears, pretty much everywhere.
Lensboards, are made of some type of thin tin like material, making them super light as well.

Add all this to the fact this thing looks like a Lamborghini Miura and you have a winner at every turn.

Richard Johnson
7-Jun-2014, 09:25
I always liked them too and once owned an 8x10 Fatif. Unfortunately most were abused and it is hard to find a really nice one.

koh303
7-Jun-2014, 09:54
I always liked them too and once owned an 8x10 Fatif. Unfortunately most were abused and it is hard to find a really nice one.
Yes, this one too was worked to very edge, though it is still quite alive and i feel like it has many more years in it.

jnantz
7-Jun-2014, 18:14
i know what you mean ..
years ago i was within inches of buying
a fatif 8x10 from ep levines
when they were on drydock still ..
it was a thing of beauty, in great condition
and even included an espresso machine (not really) ;)
unfortunately i didn't have the $$ ...
i have a saeco espresso machine, and
a guy down the road from me has a lamborghini
so at least i get 2 out of 3 ?

Roger Thoms
7-Jun-2014, 18:27
Some pictures of this beautiful camera would be nice. :)

Roger

angusparker
7-Jun-2014, 20:37
The 14x17" I recently acquired is a cross between a Fatif 8x10 monorail and a Ritter - a most odd combination if you know the two camera types! But it works. I have the same problem with the monorail that got chewed up a bit. If I get really annoyed I'm sure SK grimes can build me a new one - this time with no teeth at the end of the rail so it does get damaged by going too long....

angusparker
7-Jun-2014, 20:38
FYI If any Fatif user gets desperate for lensboards let me know ... I have some spares. SK grimes built me a great adapter that can take Sinar boards so I'm sitting pretty.

EdSawyer
8-Jun-2014, 07:03
Is this the one fom ebay? That was a nice looking rig. Agreed, post pics if possible.

koh303
8-Jun-2014, 08:15
As requested here are some photos of the Fatif 4X5:

More photos on this album here:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.575809349204572.1073741840.276274625824714&type=1

Roger Thoms
8-Jun-2014, 08:23
Thanks for the photos, looks like a great camera. I especially like the bellows and the nice rounded corners on the lens board.

Roger

DrTang
8-Jun-2014, 13:32
used to have that exact model

yeah.. always loved Italian cameras

took me years and years to find one after stumbling across a stack of lensboards and a short bellows at a garage sale

I finally got the kit together - didn't shoot it much, and eventually sold it all to someone who will

the hard part is finding any info on them - the website (in Italian) is little use

angusparker
18-Jul-2014, 10:03
Thanks for the photos, looks like a great camera. I especially like the bellows and the nice rounded corners on the lens board.

Roger

Rounded bellows are nice to look at but hard to make - Custom Bellows in the UK has quite the time figuring out how to deal with it. The bellows are going to be expensive to replace so if you buy one make sure it has good bellows to begin with.

Michael Jones
1-Aug-2014, 13:15
By the way, Joe Colombo designed the Fatif cameras:

http://designmuseum.org/design/joe-Colombo

mj