PDA

View Full Version : LF in Tanzania?

Tom Smart
24-Oct-2004, 18:51
I'm considering a medical mission to Tanzania in August of 2005. Of course I'd like to spend some time with photography as well. Currently I have no SLR gear, just 35mm rangefinder and a light LF kit. I'm sure shooting big game from a Land Rover requires SLR equipment, but are there plenty of opportunities for landscape photography? Perhaphs Lake Manyara National Park? Or Kilamanjaro?

Adrian Ng'asi
25-Oct-2004, 10:48
Tom,

I am from Tanzania and have carried my Shen Hao (4X5) camera sevaral times while travelling in East Africa (Uganda, Rwanda, Kenya, Zanzibar, and Tanzania). I do not think you will enjoy using your LF while in a tour car - it will be impossible and other people in the car will hate you. Landscape in Northern Tanzania (where L. Manyara and Nutron are) is an amazing place. I am sure you will enjoy the huge and fluffy clouds that seems to be rolling just above the plains. If you get a chance to get to Dar Es Salaam before the start of your trip to the Northern Tourist Circuit Region, please find some time to go to Golden Tulip Hotel which is located at the corner of Ohio and Hassan Mwinyi Road. At this hotel you will find old B&W photo of Mt. Kilimanjaro glaciers and scapes (I am certain they were done by a clanky LF camera in the 50's). I have always thought of climbing the mountain just to have similar photographs taken - they are absolutely amazing!

*when are you planing to visit Tanzania? If you need more details and help about Tanzania please do not hesitate to contact me at (202) 721-1571

Enjoy,

Adrian