PDA

View Full Version : This might be a dumb question but is their a cheaper lens board alternative for my f1

Imagowan
4-Jun-2014, 09:32
Just wondering if with my chamonix f1 if I can use other lens boards other than the brands own. Ones from the company are 75$ and it would be nice to have an option for buying another brand cheaper (don't know if other brands are meant to fit with the camera though)

IanG
4-Jun-2014, 10:27
If it takes the Linhof/Wista style boards then yes. I have a number from various manufacturers and they all have the same tolerances. I have some cheap Chinese clones and they are perfect on my Wista

Ian

Alan Gales
4-Jun-2014, 10:55
Badger Graphics sells the Linhof Technika style boards new. I think they are Chinese made and say Shen Hao on the back. They will fit Chamonix, Shen Hao, Tachihara, Wista and others. Just don't buy them for a Linhof Technika camera though because the tolerances are tighter on that camera. I bought some for the Tachihara that I owned and now use them on my Wehman with a reduction board. They work great!

If you are patient there are deals on Ebay too.

vinny
4-Jun-2014, 12:04
I've had some the chinese boards (shenhao) that don't fit my chamonix because they were too thick. Any wista, nikon, other name brand will work guaranteed. The ebay knock-offs usually work, just not always. watch the classifieds here because they show up every week.

It's a piece of metal (or carbon fiber) with a hole in it. All that light trap bullshit is only for planets where the light bends around corners. I've made plenty of my own boards out of flat ABS plastic or wood.

drew.saunders
4-Jun-2014, 12:22
For my Ebony, I have: Ebony (very expensive, got only one just to have it because it looks so nice), Nikon, Linhof, Wista, Shen Hao, and probably a few others that I can't remember. They all work fine.

Alan Gales
4-Jun-2014, 12:27
I've had some the chinese boards (shenhao) that don't fit my chamonix because they were too thick. Any wista, nikon, other name brand will work guaranteed. The ebay knock-offs usually work, just not always.

That's interesting to know! I thought it was only the Technika cameras that had problems using the aftermarket boards.

Bob Salomon
4-Jun-2014, 13:27
That's interesting to know! I thought it was only the Technika cameras that had problems using the aftermarket boards.

No. Newer Linhof Technika and TK models have much tighter tolerances then older models. So old Linhof Technika boards, as well as many third party boards may not fit the later cameras without scraping some of the paint off the long sides of the boards.

IanG
4-Jun-2014, 14:26
It's a piece of metal (or carbon fiber) with a hole in it. All that light trap bullshit is only for planets where the light bends around corners. I've made plenty of my own boards out of flat ABS plastic or wood.

I have to admit I've made lens boards from Aluminium and ABS and had zero problems with them in 28 years, however the prices I've paid for Linhof style boards out weighs the effort of making my own if I can find rhe right size.

Ian

Alan Gales
4-Jun-2014, 14:37
No. Newer Linhof Technika and TK models have much tighter tolerances then older models. So old Linhof Technika boards, as well as many third party boards may not fit the later cameras without scraping some of the paint off the long sides of the boards.

Ok, it's only the newer Technika and TK models that have the problems due to tighter tolerances. Thanks Bob!

I'm surprised that the Chamonix cameras have problems with some of the after market boards too. As Vinny says the boards are too thick.

I'm learning some things today!

Ari
4-Jun-2014, 15:48
Ok, it's only the newer Technika and TK models that have the problems due to tighter tolerances.

Yes, I had some aftermarket boards that didn't fit my TK45-S; I sanded down the sides a little at a time until they fit.

angusparker
7-Jun-2014, 12:50
Interestingly I've found all Linhof style lensboards from various companies work find in a 4x5 Chamonix but conversely Chamonix boards don't work in many other view cameras. So if you are looking to share lenses with a non-Chamonix camera it is best to stay away from the Chamonix lensboards.

koh303
7-Jun-2014, 13:23
I recently got 2 boards from Ebay, from china, and they are working just fine on my linhof (as well as on the shen hao BTW)