PDA

View Full Version : Tripod suggestions

photonfixer
4-Jun-2014, 03:05
Hi, I have been using my DSLR tripod with my Sinar Norma but really it's not fit for purpose and I need to invest in a proper heavy duty tripod for a large format camera.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Preferably something that won't cost an arm and a leg.

thanks

jp
4-Jun-2014, 03:42
Indoors or out?

uhner
4-Jun-2014, 04:45
I use a Berlebach Report 3002 for my Norma. It is a basic, fairly inexpensive wooden tripod that certainly is up to the task at hand.

Since you have a Norma I can recommend that you fit whatever tripod you get with a dedicated two-way head for monorail cameras. Sinar made a good one but they tend to be somewhat pricey. Another option is Plaubel. I have a NK 6 head from Plaubel that works very well. It operates smoothly, is easy to use and coupled with a Report 3002 it holds a 8x10 Norma with a 480 mm lens securely.

Arne Croell
4-Jun-2014, 05:48
Berlebach tripods are quite sturdy and would certainly work fine. I don't know where you are located, in Europe there is a very similar tripod range made by Wolf in Freiberg, Germany: http://www.wooden-tripods.com/index.html, also worth checking out.

vinny
4-Jun-2014, 05:59
Honestly, I think you'll find your answer faster by reading some of the many threads which allready exist on this subject.

Bob Salomon
4-Jun-2014, 06:44
I use a Berlebach Report 3002 for my Norma. It is a basic, fairly inexpensive wooden tripod that certainly is up to the task at hand.

Since you have a Norma I can recommend that you fit whatever tripod you get with a dedicated two-way head for monorail cameras. Sinar made a good one but they tend to be somewhat pricey. Another option is Plaubel. I have a NK 6 head from Plaubel that works very well. It operates smoothly, is easy to use and coupled with a Report 3002 it holds a 8x10 Norma with a 480 mm lens securely.

The four digit Report tripods like the 3002 are all now discontinued and out of production. The new models in the Report series have 3 digit product codes like 302 and unlike the older series have more pre-set leg angles and the tops are user interchangeable from a flat top plate to a leveling top plate to a regular center column to a leveling center column, etc. Each of the top modules come with a special spanning wrench that lets the user change from one type to another almost immediately.

Richard Johnson
4-Jun-2014, 10:14
The Sinar Norma Pan Tilt head is optimal for the Sinar, most people swear by them and they are excellent heads... but only for Sinar cameras.

Below the head, a Gitzo #3 series for field work with a 4x5 and moderate lenses. A heavier #5 series for 8x10 or extremes. Carbon Fiber if you can afford it but there are good bargains with older metal Gitzos.

Luis-F-S
4-Jun-2014, 12:26
There is a Berlebach tripod right now on this site quite reasonably. I have a Report 2042 which is quite nice, if you want something sturdier, I'd go for a Ries J100, though a good bit more money.

Captain Hughes
14-Jun-2014, 09:47
Ries Tripod have a lifetime warranty. The new ones are even better than the old styles. Comparing a berlebach to a ries is like comparing a Yugo to a Mercedes.

RichardRitter
14-Jun-2014, 10:18
I have a Ries Tripod made before the current owners. I like it over the last tripod I was using. I have put a 20 x 24 on one that had a 2meter bellows.
I did have a chance to try a new one with the new knobs. I like the star knobs. The new one had a round knob at the tripod mount, the star knob is much easier to use and easier tighten down the camera.

I would get the Reis well worth it.