PDA

View Full Version : three apeture blades came off lens- how to fix?

Imagowan
3-Jun-2014, 09:32
Hi there,

I received a super-angulon 1:8/90 Schneider-Kreuznach from a friend. Three of the appeture blades were acting weird/not working. Eventually they came loose and fell out. I am hoping this is something I can fix myself but am not sure. Any advice, links, videos, suggestions would be awesome!

Thanks guys!

DrTang
3-Jun-2014, 11:04
everytime I try to 'fix' something like this..I end up screwing it up worse - I have more than a few baggies full of 'parts' in the closet

you're mileage may vary

Imagowan
3-Jun-2014, 11:06
Do you think I can still use it if when I shut the preview lever it closes so that no glass can be seen. The lens seems to work fine its just has three missing apeture blades.

DrTang
3-Jun-2014, 12:37
those are two different things:

shutter blades

and

aperture blades

it might work fine wide open.. but I bet it gives crazy results 'stopped down' - or not - give it a try

domaz
3-Jun-2014, 16:32
Aperture blades aren't terribly difficult to put back in. Takes a few tries to learn though, also they probably need to be straightened.

ic-racer
3-Jun-2014, 17:38
You might find some helpful info in the link below. Depending on the shutter, the aperture blades are likely at the back. Meaning that the shutter blades have to come off first to get to the aperture blades. You may not want to do that on an otherwise working shutter until you have had more experience exploring busted shutters.
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?29267-Here-we-go-Century-8x10-Restoration&p=279474&viewfull=1#post279474