PDA

View Full Version : 8 x 10 field camera with BOTH rear rise/fall and shift??

wallpaperviking
1-Jun-2014, 20:05
Hi,
I am really hoping someone on here may be able to help me with an enquiry I have..

I am looking for a 8 x 10 field camera that has both rear rise/fall and shift. Front movements need only include tilt and swing.

The only camera I have come across that does this is the Lotus Rapid Field 8 x 10.

Are there any other options out there?

The Lotus Rapid Field is too much for me unfortunately :(

Can be of any vintage, does not need to be a "modern" 8 x 10..

Ok, thanks so much, any information that could be provided would be greatly appreciated!

Jason Greenberg Motamedi
1-Jun-2014, 20:15
Burke & James made a wooden 8x10 field camera with rear rise and shift.

Oren Grad
1-Jun-2014, 20:24
Burke & James. But watch out: many of them are well worn and have very wobbly standards. There are folks around here who have restored B&J's and may know about how best to tighten them up if needed.

jbenedict
1-Jun-2014, 20:27
Burke & James made an 8x10 with rear rise and shift.

Yes. I have two of them. If you are looking for one, be selective. They are kind of a workingman's camera and some can be beat up pretty badly. The one I bought last month had a mud wasp nest inside of it. It came from Arkansas and I guess the mud wasps there just like building a nest in a camera bellows. I bought it for the extension rail and the sliding tripod block. If possible, get the extension rail which goes with it. However, the rail is long enough to do pretty much whatever I want to do with my 375mm (only) lens. The sliding tripod block is nice but not really necessary. I've used my other camera for 15 years and did OK. What both the sliding tripod block and the extension rail do is give you the ability to shift the center of gravity so the weight of the camera is balanced on the tripod. When it is balanced, neither end is prone to flop around in the wind. (The wind can really affect the stability of an 8x10- it's pretty big.)

Here's a page about the B&J 8x10 and how a guy cleaned and prettied one up:

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/burke-james/restore8x10.html

wallpaperviking
1-Jun-2014, 20:37
Awesome! Thanks a lot for that information, any idea if it is all Burke and James field cameras or is it a particular one?

Any idea roughly how much one of these weighs?

Ok, thanks a lot, much appreciated!

Louis Pacilla
1-Jun-2014, 21:14
Awesome! Thanks a lot for that information, any idea if it is all Burke and James field cameras or is it a particular one?

Any idea roughly how much one of these weighs?

Ok, thanks a lot, much appreciated!

I believe the one your after is called "The Commercial Field" camera it weighs 13-14 lbs w/ 29-30" bellows & takes square corner 6"x6" lens boards .

Peter Gomena
1-Jun-2014, 22:00
Some of the Wisner models had full movements. I think the "technical field" would be the model to look for. Prepare to pay a lot if you can find one.

Jim Noel
1-Jun-2014, 23:00
Kodak Universal 8x10 - light weight and has the movements you desire. Difficult to find.

wallpaperviking
2-Jun-2014, 00:21
Thanks again to everyone, much appreciated! Will keep a look out...

Thanks again.

evan clarke
2-Jun-2014, 03:45
Don't be stuck on a field camera. I have two Arca 8x10s one modern and one C model. I cut the rail in two pieces on this camera, one short, justenough to rack the camera onto and one longer one to stay in the mounting channel. the short rail is exactly the length of the two standards and makes this an extremely compact package. It's not any heavier thab the orher cameras mentioned, has full movements and doesn't have to be unfolded. I paid $750 for mine and think I still prefer it over the modern one..more movements..Link to eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/8x10-and-4x5-Arca-Swiss-cameras-completely-interchangeable-system-/191196669973?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c8435a815

Richard Johnson
2-Jun-2014, 05:41
Ditto on Evan's comments about the Arcas.