PDA

View Full Version : How to attach projection lenses to lens boards!?

Misko
1-Jun-2014, 15:13
Dear all,

recently I've managed to acquire few reasonably priced projection lenses (mostly Petzval type).

Problem is that none of them (except one) have outer thread, which renders them hard for mating with Lens boards. Additional problem is that outer diameter of lenses is mostly different & buying few lens plates would make things more expensive... Finally, since they don't have thread or most of them don't have a step in shape they are not so easy to hold / mount with Universal Iris Mount (which I am not sure would fit Graflex Speed lens board and still have sufficient opening to accommodate lenses of diameter larger than 60mm).

Do you guys have any suggestion on how to make some universal mount and mount these lenses to my Graflex speed? I would probably at the end choose only one or two of these lenses to keep & then I can go into more elaborate / precise way of mounting them to the lens board.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers,
Misko

vinny
1-Jun-2014, 15:16
iris clamp

Misko
1-Jun-2014, 15:23
... which as I've described above might not work great on my Speed's Lens Boards because of the size limits (and construction of the projection lenses too)
But thanks for the willingness to help Vinny!

ic-racer
1-Jun-2014, 15:37
Try these sized 35mm to 52mm, (see below) also, some info here: http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?96529-Mounting-lens-without-the-original-flange/page3

Misko
1-Jun-2014, 15:42
Awesome! will go tomorrow to some DIY store & try to buy some of them! Thanks! And thank you a lot for the link to the previous discussion!

ic-racer
1-Jun-2014, 20:39
Place to get those flanged fittings: http://www.jetsrus.com/mounting_flanges/mounting_flanges.html

Steven Tribe
2-Jun-2014, 04:13
Friction sleeves (with standard flange threads and flanges) do exist and are not that uncommon for the standard barrel external diameters in the range 46 - 53mm. They look exactly like tangential drive sleeves - just without the mechanism and with lengthwise paired splits to allow for a slight "spring" clamping effect.

brucep
2-Jun-2014, 07:02
Friction sleeves (with standard flange threads and flanges) do exist and are not that uncommon for the standard barrel external diameters in the range 46 - 53mm. They look exactly like tangential drive sleeves - just without the mechanism and with lengthwise paired splits to allow for a slight "spring" clamping effect.

Do you have a picture of these friction sleeves so I know what I'm looking for?

Thanks
Bruce

Jim Noel
2-Jun-2014, 07:23
I have a Universal Iris mount which fits (barely) on the lens board of my Pacemaker Speed Graphic.

Steven Tribe
2-Jun-2014, 07:53
I looked for one before I sent the mail! Looks like they were a bonus when I cleared out a lot of UK, French and German barrel cine lenses in 2012! Another possiblibity is a brass sleeve without the drive - many of these are around as the rack and pinion wore out or the 2/4 screws fell out! Lining these with velvet (different thicknesses are available) gives the right internal dimension and resistance.

A plain barrel will not well on a universal iris clamp - but if you put a strip of velvet tape/hard scum tape around the barrel it will work OK.

Misko
2-Jun-2014, 08:43
I have a Universal Iris mount which fits (barely) on the lens board of my Pacemaker Speed Graphic.

Wish I had one of that size :( Even if just slightly bigger I could combine something... but one I have is just huge...
What is the maximum working opening for your UIM that goes onto Speed?

Misko
2-Jun-2014, 08:47
A plain barrel will not well on a universal iris clamp - but if you put a strip of velvet tape/hard scum tape around the barrel it will work OK.

I see what you mean Steven. Basically I should apply material that will increase the friction between the Iris Mount & the barrel of the lens... right? Good idea. Now I should find an iris mount that is not costing 300-400$ and fits Speed's lens board with the opening of 62.5mm :)

Pete Watkins
2-Jun-2014, 09:11
I've used roof & gutter sealent on home made Wista sized plywood lens boards. It ain't pretty but it's cheap.
Pete.

Misko
2-Jun-2014, 13:06
My problem is that I am unable to make plywood boards for my Speed. I made those for Graflex Super D 4x5 but these lenses do not fit to that camera with their focal length :(